Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: The Sporadic Sketchbook [August 18th]

Thanks

The Sporadic Sketchbook [August 18th]

Title given due to sad, yet sincere, sporadic sketch-updates. Busy schedule... Bear with me, please!
    Scroll on through the progress...

All right, how to start this off?
    Just recently been inspired to pursue the world of art not only as a hobby, but as a career. Really started working about a month ago, and I figured, "What better way to improve than to get insight from other artists?"
    So... here I am. :3

I'm going to start off with the oldest thing I remember doing recently (little more than a month ago), and that was a painting, if you can call it one.
    And then are a bunch of pages from my sketchbook that I've been working on for the past month, from oldest to new. So you can see my progress over the month. I just finished it, so I'll be posting pages from a brand new sketchbook soon.

I know I need to work on anatomy, varied facial structures and expressions, perspectives... a whole lotta stuff! And sizing these files so that they don't make the post look so funny. Haha. Critiques very well appreciated -- even more so than comments. :3

The Sporadic Sketchbook [August 18th]The Sporadic Sketchbook [August 18th]
    Last edited by ohnojenny; August 19th, 2009 at 01:37 AM. Reason: title
    Sketchbook

"Drive faster, boy..."
    The Killers -- Midnight Show
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Hi Jenny (isn't it?), welcome aboard!

Quite the bunch of sketches you've got there! Seems like you've got the willpower and dedication, you're going to need plenty of that if you wanna go pro Looking good so far, many different faces and expressions.

However, I've got a few crits Let's start with the noses, most of them are too big and long. Often the faces dont quite seem to fit either into the head. I suggest you do facial studies, self portraits and study the planes of the head. I don't know if you're familiar with Andrew Loomis, but his books are praised here on CA (with good reason, too), so I suggest you download the entire bunch and take a good look at the Head and Hands one.

I'm also missing more full length figures from you! I have a problem with that myself, I love doing just faces and the bust, but try to do more entire figures. PoseManiacs has a great database of compuer models in various poses that you can rotate and draw from all angles. The 30 second mode (actually goes up to 90 secs, I believe) is also an excellent tool for quick gestures, which I suggest you do more of.

Hopefully this should get you started and make you update your SB regularly. See you around!
    sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AsaB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks AsaB! I hadn't realized that some of these facial features just don't fit the head. :3 I'll be sure to look into those references.
    And... yeah. I'll admit it. Since I'm not so great at full bodies, I've been finding excuses to avoid them. :3 But this site might just make me get to facing that obstacle... thank you!

I hope to be pretty active here, at least for the summer time. No excuses there. :3 And, haha, it actually isn't Jenny... It's a reference to a song. :3 I'll have to do something about that... :3

And a post, guys! With close-ups! I think I finished it. Crits greatly appreciated! I'll be willing to touch up on it.

[The Joker]
    Attachment 418776
    [Close-ups]
    Attachment 418785
    Last edited by ohnojenny; August 7th, 2008 at 02:54 PM. Reason: attachment
    Sketchbook

"Drive faster, boy..."

Thanks
    Those are some fantastic first two posts.
    I agree completely with AsaB, the range in facial expressions and just variety in the character designs is incredible. You have some gorgeous eyes in there...very dynamic and expressive. Don't stop! You're doing an excellent job with the loads of different face shapes and variation in features, just excellent. I really like some of the Joker drawings you have going on, especially the last set of drawings with him...very expressive.
    Some of the figures just have some small anatomy problems, twisting limbs and such, but that will come through practice and through studies...just keep on those.

The last painting is also very nice, great color values...the hand is very well done. So expressive with so few strokes! I'm very impressed by that, keep working toward that, the more you can express with greater economy of line, the better...
    Also, don't be afraid to vary texture a little bit here and there... the chalk/pastel/conte brushes could be complimented well by some other textures. Maybe create some of your own!
    I look forward to seeing more! **subscribes**

Thanks
    Sketcheth -- hey thanks! I'm going to be doing some anatomy studies today... so hopefully these twisting limbs will cease to exist.
    And you know what? The part I hated most of all when painting the Joker was finding the right brushes... there are so many in Painter, and so many that I just didn't want/didn't like/couldn't refind, so had to make due with something else. I'll be sure to experiment more with that, but my patience runs thin on finding the right tools... I don't think I could make my own yet. I wouldn't know where to start! Haha...

-------

Update! Thank you, AsaB, for that link to Loomis Tutorials. I'm learning a lot from them! The first picture was dedicated to studying how the head is constructed -- the first one I did before I found out about Loomis, so it may not be as accurate... but it's my first page in my new sketchbook! So yay for that. The page after that is the second page, and more Loomis head studies. The only real person on there is also the only woman on there -- I was in court that day, and inclined to sketch the judge, because she was the only one staying still. :3
    Thanks!

On a side note... I need to get some dimensions down for saving my scans in... I feel like my posts are sloppy. D:
    Attachment 420600
    Attachment 420601Attachment 420602
    Last edited by ohnojenny; August 6th, 2008 at 11:40 PM. Reason: attachment
    Sketchbook

"Drive faster, boy..."

Thanks
    The brushes in Painter can be hard to hack through. I end up just using the pastel and chalk ones as bases to make other brushes, because I like how they lay down color...

Ooh...colored pencils and markers...that's delightful. The facial structures are already looking better on the second page, keep it up. Studying the human skull can really help you understand that stuff, too...I know it's helped me a lot with noses and things like that. Be careful that you don't exaggerate the cheek bones too much, it can make your faces look overly gaunt. The figures are looking better. Post more! Can't wait for the next update!

Thanks
    sketcheth -- So you make your own brushes? Interesting... I'll give a whack at it sometime. :3 And, haha, I used to neglect cheekbones ever being there -- so I guess I've overdone them a lot. Yes, I can see that. I'll work on that! Thanks!

mysociallink2 -- Thank you! I'm really working on improving. I think updating almost daily really helps... keeps you going. :3

---

Here're two speedpaints I flushed out this morning. The first one was putting my Loomis studies to use with my tablet, and the second one was an anatomy study that turned into a girl. I did some PoseMs, maybe I'll post them later today...

Attachment 420887Attachment 420888
    Last edited by ohnojenny; August 6th, 2008 at 11:41 PM. Reason: attachment
    Sketchbook

"Drive faster, boy..."

Thanks
    Hey guys! Another update. Just some PoseMs and some more Loomis studies. They turned out okay... hope to post more either later tonight or tomorrow!

On a side note -- those timed PoseM drawings are pretty exhausting... whew.

Attachment 421738

Attachment 421739Attachment 421740
    Last edited by ohnojenny; August 6th, 2008 at 11:41 PM. Reason: attachment
    Sketchbook

"Drive faster, boy..."

Thanks
    Really nice sketches
    I envy people like you who can just bang out pages like this

One way i think you could make them stand out more, is by colouring the space around them
    Maybe with a coloured pencil or felt tip, would help make the sketches really stand out

Thanks
    nice sketches, u are doing great, i would recommend some more studies of anatomy and the basic colour theories

keep it up

Thanks
    All right! Crits! You guys are awesome!

Jaxsbudgie -- Haha, I don't think it's anything to envy. If anything, what I need to work on is my endurance, because I find I get exhausted reaaaaal fast... unless it's coloring. Which I should do more of, huh? Thanks! I'll definitely take you up on that piece of advice.

Brun More studies of anatomy and color theory... all right! I know I definitely need to work harder on anatomy... color theory will come as I study portraits more, I think... or still lifes... thanks, buddy!

Not such an interesting update right here, just some work I did in my smaller sketchbook over the past couple of days -- darn pen smudged while erasing... patience is a virture, eh? Oh, and that weird thing to the left of the girl on the first page... is a shoe I saw someone wearing while on the bus. Yes.

Attachment 422455Attachment 422457Attachment 422458
    Last edited by ohnojenny; August 6th, 2008 at 11:42 PM. Reason: attachment
    Sketchbook

"Drive faster, boy..."

Thanks
    Thanks for that ohno, (no no no no nono) i did the painting with a flat brush and made little square blocks of colour in watercolour, blue with yellow over the top... or the other way about... i cant remember, and the armour was done in enamals...

faces... i always have a problem with the right eye for some reason...

annnyway! your sketchbook is looking great, i love the angular quality of the faces and your costume designs look great, i would recommend (and this is a problem i have myself) trying to give your characters some weight, it helps if you draw a line running from where you want the feet up to the head, and hang the body from that... but of a pain to discribe so i'll be back with a picture, keep at it!

Thanks
    J.Boswell -- All right! Someone got the reference! Awesome! Made my day right there alone. :3 But no joke? Watercolor? You must've used little water, because the colors just seem so bold. :3

And a crit! Double awesome. Add some weight, huh? I'm... kind of unsure what you mean about that. I'm trying to picture it in my head. But I get the drawing line from head-to-toes part! I should try that out... I'll get to work on that right away! Thank you!

Update guys -- some anatomy studies but with clothing and stuff. And colors! I've discovered that, unless the sheet I'm coloring on is already toned, I don't like using my colored pencils much anymore... but the markers I liked using. That knightly figure just drove me nuts. :/ Scanning them in ruined the quality somewhat, but *shrug* what can you do?
    Critics are loved!

Attachment 423616
    Last edited by ohnojenny; August 6th, 2008 at 11:43 PM. Reason: attachment
    Sketchbook

"Drive faster, boy..."

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ohnojenny For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast