Sketchbook: iheartmyself don't know chicken shit about rhythm - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: iheartmyself don't know chicken shit about rhythm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And your hands are great! Very few lines and no mistakes. Impressive.
    I have figured out how to subscribe to a sketchbook. It's under the "thread tools" on the top of the page.
    Nice stuff mate, keep it up!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hay sorry about the thing where i wasnt listing to the ppl commenting me on my sb. i just thought id stop by and say tht im going to put up a pic i did of my friend. it looks nothing like her but its got to count for something right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    uhm just a quick one,
    07/08/08 photoshop, about 1 minute each, some un-ref faces, trying to get used to faces, wrong/right? HELPS!!

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Up shit creek with a poo for a paddle
    Sketchbook- Began 22/07/08 - Bo'
    -
    BLOG - Final Major Project

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey again, been keepin an eye on this book for a while now..
    Your colours are real pleasing, i like them very much.. sketchums are coming along too. Latest batch a lil too light to see so small.. but seems like things are good apart from the eye area lookin a bit wonky perhaps.

I got one of them sketchbooks too dontchaknow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by smuckers View Post
    hey again, been keepin an eye on this book for a while now..
    Your colours are real pleasing, i like them very much.. sketchums are coming along too. Latest batch a lil too light to see so small.. but seems like things are good apart from the eye area lookin a bit wonky perhaps.
    ah sorry, my resolution and screen brightness etc might be a bit different to other peoples then haha..duh and the reason theyre small is...well no real reason, just thought itd be pointless uploading a huge picture of a 1 min sketch haha
    yeah ive been told to stop making people "perfect" so i went overboard...i thought best way to do that is to exaggerate, then tone down
    Thanks

-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude, those hands were pretty sweet. where's the rest of them? what's your process like when you do digital portraits?

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there! Really liking the textures to your painted work. I also like your anatomy studies. Those can come in real handy! I should get to work on those, actually... and great life drawings. :3 No better way to learn, right?

In any case, on your newest update... not bad at all for one minute on each! The face I like the most is the last one -- great features and everything. they just work. On the others, especially the first, I notice the eyes looking in two different directions. The cheeks on all of them look good -- the only thing I say to watch out for are those eyes, and maybe mouths too. :3 But awesome work! Keep it up!

Sketchbook

"Drive faster, boy..."
    The Killers -- Midnight Show

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    purb36- haha, thats all of them at the minute, im just aiming towards 50, will post more soon. Process eh? its usually a terrible sticky mess of photoshop dickery..if i do another portrait or whatever, ill post some processes, i was going to request some ideas on how to start /progress through a portrait in the next post anyway XD - thanks!

ohnojenny yeah i was suprised how much more familiar you become with the human body by knowing whats inside it and where, crazy. Thanks XD
    i should have explained myself more on the heads, i tried to make them look..i dunno, a bit...non perfect, with alot of exaggeration, thus the wonky eyes, but none the less i dont want to get into the habit of not being able to do eyes straight haha

to the drawing machine!

-

bakatron is offline toronto blue jays fan... i'm serious.... stop laughing at me okay?? Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    musculature studies are wicked!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff here, I like how you use wathercolor

Forgive me my bad english

my sketchbook and my homepage

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like your stuff, just work on the form a bit more. Like making things more 3 dimensional. nice drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    08/08/08 oo well lar-dee-dar, a photoshop, with a progress GIF, and some more moleZOMGZskines!
    bakatron - thanks
    skorpi - ta
    Hybrid_75 - will give it a go, it does look like i've been concentrating on line more..time to tackle this 3d malarkey XD

-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As you seem decided to put a great effort into this I'll do the same with my reply. First of all, just remember at all time that I think that your work is awesome, and that this are only things that I think that you can do to improve it.
    The faces look pretty good, but you still have to work on them. If your drawing men for example, you could use a larger jaw (I'm talking about those three drawings).
    In the painting you've get a little better (specially because it's young, and therefore has a smaller jaw, more like a woman, still some chin, wich is good). But just, remember that the jaw is not always so pointy and rounded, but sometimes it's square.
    The main problem with the painting, is that the eyes are way too big. It's common for us to tend to draw the features big at the beginning (I now that you probably have some time drawing, and you do very well, but trust me that your beginning at it).
    You don't seem to have the common problem of drawing the eyes to close to each other, but you are a going just a little towards the other way. Be careful of that. Also, in the space between the eyes, don't forget that the nose and the forehead very rarely merge in a stright line. If you don't know how to draw that when you're painting the head form a front view, you should only do a shadow just below the forehead, half the tone of the shadow of the upper part of the eye.
    If I were you, I'd concentrate in the drawing. If you can, grab a Vilppu book (Bridgman is great, but Vilppu explains better how to work the 3d of the form). Also, try to draw the head from more POVs. I've seen some 3/4 in here that's great, but remember that you can watch the face also form above, below, and still it can be in 3/4 try to draw some of that. Concentrate for example, in drawing the nose in all those positions. Try to decompose the shape first as a polygonal primitive, and then draw it right in perspective (doesn't matter that you don't want to draw a primitive every time you draw a nose, just do it, so that you can understand the problem in a more simplified way).
    Look at the nose in the drawing that says "no- certainly not". They are in front, no funny angle or anything tricky, and still, you can see that they are flat, you can notice. That's because they are shaded white, just as the forehead. If the forehead is white, and it's a straight line, and the nose is curved, then how are those two planes receiving the same light? If for example the light cames from above then it should light the nose more than almost anything in the face, along with the very top of the head, and perhaps, the protuberance where the eye browns rest, and the bone that cames out right below the eyes. Go on, touch your head and see what parts are facing upward. Se what parts are facing downward: those should be in shadows. I'm pretty sure that you know this, but start using this stuff and you'll do great.
    Get into the 3d of things. When you draw the head you should know the exact shape of all of it, to what direction is it going and how sharp or smooth are the edges.
    Also, don't forget the wrist when you draw hands (yours looks like as if they don't have any, and as if they came from a blob)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lennon View Post
    As you seem decided to put a great effort into this I'll do the same with my reply. First of all, just remember at all time that I think that your work is awesome, and that this are only things that I think that you can do to improve it.
    The faces look pretty good, but you still have to work on them. If your drawing men for example, you could use a larger jaw (I'm talking about those three drawings).
    In the painting you've get a little better (specially because it's young, and therefore has a smaller jaw, more like a woman, still some chin, wich is good). But just, remember that the jaw is not always so pointy and rounded, but sometimes it's square.
    The main problem with the painting, is that the eyes are way too big. It's common for us to tend to draw the features big at the beginning (I now that you probably have some time drawing, and you do very well, but trust me that your beginning at it).
    You don't seem to have the common problem of drawing the eyes to close to each other, but you are a going just a little towards the other way. Be careful of that. Also, in the space between the eyes, don't forget that the nose and the forehead very rarely merge in a stright line. If you don't know how to draw that when you're painting the head form a front view, you should only do a shadow just below the forehead, half the tone of the shadow of the upper part of the eye.
    If I were you, I'd concentrate in the drawing. If you can, grab a Vilppu book (Bridgman is great, but Vilppu explains better how to work the 3d of the form). Also, try to draw the head from more POVs. I've seen some 3/4 in here that's great, but remember that you can watch the face also form above, below, and still it can be in 3/4 try to draw some of that. Concentrate for example, in drawing the nose in all those positions. Try to decompose the shape first as a polygonal primitive, and then draw it right in perspective (doesn't matter that you don't want to draw a primitive every time you draw a nose, just do it, so that you can understand the problem in a more simplified way).
    Look at the nose in the drawing that says "no- certainly not". They are in front, no funny angle or anything tricky, and still, you can see that they are flat, you can notice. That's because they are shaded white, just as the forehead. If the forehead is white, and it's a straight line, and the nose is curved, then how are those two planes receiving the same light? If for example the light cames from above then it should light the nose more than almost anything in the face, along with the very top of the head, and perhaps, the protuberance where the eye browns rest, and the bone that cames out right below the eyes. Go on, touch your head and see what parts are facing upward. Se what parts are facing downward: those should be in shadows. I'm pretty sure that you know this, but start using this stuff and you'll do great.
    Get into the 3d of things. When you draw the head you should know the exact shape of all of it, to what direction is it going and how sharp or smooth are the edges.
    Also, don't forget the wrist when you draw hands (yours looks like as if they don't have any, and as if they came from a blob)
    thanks alot, very scarce critique is flying around this thread. ill check out Vilppu asap, need to shoot off to work now, but its on my list of things to do.
    i can also see what you mean by the forehead/nose, i understand that the shadow above the eye is too much in comparison to that. and noses etc, ill get onto it. seriously thanks alot!

-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad you could take a crit, it's one of the most difficult things to learn.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lennon View Post
    Glad you could take a crit, it's one of the most difficult things to learn.
    i can imagine, but thats why im here so..itd be a waste to ignore these, theyre literally priceless

-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    09/08/08 nothing special, a hand and eye, a study of a face to try and understand the "brow" shadow, i think i've subconsciously managed to draw Nicholas Cage...anyone else see it? :|, and some stylised thing's, figured id try it out....(i like)
    oh and i've found a new best friend...the mechanical pencil!
    sorry, as i said, nothing really that exciting..may have a few more to show later on..

-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey dude. for your faces, i think that there seems to be a lack of definition in structure, and that's because the planes of the face aren't well defined, mainly in the cheek and mouth area. i would suggest work on using more flat color to define the planes first, and then change values to describe the form. remember: value change equals form change. take care, dude.

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    11/08/08- right then...i tried to do some liney type of shading [if theres a technical term for this, please do tell XD]
    a figure thingy, and 2 heads
    im getting fed up with my scanner, ive tried the entirety of settings and these are the only ones that came out half decent [scans i mean, not drawings] it decides to contrast my images until you cant see detail etc, anyway, crit, and could someone point me in the direction of face/head plane form reading?
    thanks XD

-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    11/08/08 more today again, top one, my lady
    and the bottom...one on the left is from start of june, one on the right is from today, its the main character for my final major project for foundation..i would have approached it a bit differently if i did it again today ahaa...also it shows that im learning something from this place [ignore the weird nose (on the right), my scanner is shit, i dont even know what that is...]

-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice portraits! good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey dude, thx for the pm. you got me moving on these.

so, i drew up some stuff real quick to explain what i meant about form and value and structure. i'm posting these openly so that they can help others who come to this page as well, but if you don't want me to do that, i can just put them in links. now, i'm not an expert in this stuff (im studying it myself, so i hope that it's good).

so, here's the paintover i did of your last painted portrait, showing what i meant by defining the planes.
    Name:  po_faceeyessmalleretc2.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  60.0 KB
    in your original painting, you have many different values in the cheek area and the forehead. by making these uniform, it creates a plane. using different values based on the lighting situation creates different planes which will give the image dimension and form; the parts where light cannot hit will be darker, and the parts more exposed to light will be lit.

here's some illustrations of value change meaning form change. when something is a flat value, it does not appear 3d, and you cannot understand the form by looking at it. throw in some value change, and it is easier to see what the form looks like. the value describes the form. smoother, softer transitions mean a smoother and softer form change. sharper edges, sharper value changes describe abrupt form changes.
    Name:  form_vchange_8.11.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  51.4 KB
    Name:  form_vchange2_8.11.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  48.9 KB

these are more basic things that of the type that i have been working on to practice form: mostly simple geometric shapes, and working on nailing down form so that it looks accurate. some are better than others.
    Name:  form_123castoff_6.7.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  33.8 KB
    Name:  form_gcube_6.12.08.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  7.7 KB
    Name:  form_ggsball_8.5.08.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  47.8 KB
    Name:  form_speedy2_12.24.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  59.6 KB

hope that helps; g'luck dude! you can do eeeet!

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if your troubles lie with face definition, perhaps doing some investigation on the basic planes and blocks of the face would be valuable study?

thesadpencil is offline Unfortunate Incident of Trial and Error Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey pretty sweet sb you got going on here, i like your style a lot, keep it up with all those studies they will definitely help. continue working on pushing the values and contrast in your digis. other than that just keep on trucking mate.

To live is to create, to create is to live. Without art and music, I do not know how I would get by in my day to day life.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115997

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aww man, I know what you mean about how university takes over once you start the term. You've got some good, clean studies going on I like your concentration on values too, keep it up

Dan-YAL.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    smuckers hit it right on the nail; if you can find a cast that shows the planes of the head, i think that would help a lot. and if you find one cheap, let me know. SOMEBODY over here needs to go shopping...

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    13/08/08 right then, some moleskines, a leg anatomy drawing [need to study more of this, in fact, might dedicate at least an hour a day], and a digi head study..with values and such, thanks to purb36 for some pointers
    smuckers- thanks, i think im going in the right direction
    thesadpencil thanking you
    oODanyalOo its a bitch aint it? haha, thanks
    p.s, try to use your imagination for the life studies, there is a HELL of a lot more markmaking going on, it just doesnt show...perhaps ill try taking a picture to show the difference
    anyways, here we go.

-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking muuuuuuch better already dude! keep at it.

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that new paint is definitely popping a whole lot more, also.. what book is that leg from there?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    14/08/08 m'kay,
    we have some hands (3)
    2 leg anatomy drawings
    1 arm anatomy drawing
    a chimp
    and the same chimp coloured [nothing amazing, just a multiply and block, i quite like it and will definitely check out some more in future]

and thanks for all the feedback, im not tiring of it at all, so keep it coming

-

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1