Sketchbook: Portraits and Concepts! - Page 4

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by meduza View Post
    Well I hope it didn't came across that I was telling you that your art is repulsive, just the subjects. But for me, forgive me "IT'S FRIKIN' CREEPY!" I almost want to look the opposite direction. Which in your case, your probably saying, "It worked!"
    But I think you need to draw us "in" more . There's a lot of beauty in grotesque of course.

You know what's weird? Your freak creatures seemed cute and doesn't seem terrifying at all compared to the twisted paintings.hehe
    Sorry Meduza, I was in a bad mood yesterday and this may have been seen as defensive in my last post. Art is subject and subject is art, and that makes both repulsive. As you have seen with my characters, I can go detailed and think heavily about design and composition, but with these portraits they become an extension of my arm which I have very little conscious decision over. With oils I have began thinking more about how to arrange things because of how difficult the medium can be. I enjoy create art which requires very little worry about composition, colour, value, etc... But I do agree with you that if I wish to sell these in the future, I do need to consciously think about the above.

BTW I like that you cannot look at these. They are EMOTIONALLY effecting you. Don't you think this is what fine art should be about?

Thanks Meduza, I appreciate every post you make here

----

I may not be able to post today's work because this day is for oils. I might be able to post a WIP of one of my final pieces. So here is an oil painting I painted yesterday. This is called 'life' and has been digitally captures with my camera. I hope this is as good or better than the scanner!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, haha I don't want to be looking at ghost at the moment. I'm alone in a dark place. Plus my maid says There's ghosts in my house..haha.
    Not hating it man, just wanted to say that even the ugly can be mesmerizing that you would want to look at it for a very long time. Kinda like Hussar or Basil Gogos' work.
    It did affect me but I kinda went the opposite way, haha, can't stand to stare at them for a long time. Gives me shivers
    But the last one isn't even scary dude, looks like he's having an orgasm

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, haha I don't want to be looking at ghost at the moment. I'm alone in a dark place. Plus my maid says There's ghosts in my house..haha.
    Not hating it man, just wanted to say that even the ugly can be mesmerizing that you would want to look at it for a very long time. Kinda like Hussar or Basil Gogos' work.
    It did affect me but I kinda went the opposite way, haha, can't stand to stare at them for a long time. Gives me shivers
    But the last one isn't even scary dude, looks like he's having an orgasm
    lol, really?

Here are seom more works.

1: game box-art design. Everything is either created by myself or recreated with existing designs (such as the logos).

2: game promo poster design.

3: Time.

4: Playful

5: Flush

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Another design for the imaginary game.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool, man the last 3 portraits are great. But aren't as terrifying as before. hmmmn, Seems like I don't know what I like, huh?lol

Is the ast creature "on" some object or it's part of it's body? I think you've put more emphasis on that area rather than the creature?

Is the box art an asignment? Based on the sales pitch, it seems intriguing. But you didn't show the gameplay. Or Maybe this is just for composition graphic design. Would love to see a Matsign response, because I sure don't know anything about this area.hehe
    I actually couldn't make up the creature in the shadows, until I remember an earlier scorpion painting.

Glad you are super busy, man!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Hi meduza.

The last three were painted while I was on my break at the coast. I think my present mood gives the effect you see; so a more relaxed mood created those 3 you mentioned. For my bigger portraits I am beginning to revert back to some older painted portraits as reference so that I can convey the same mood.

The creature carries this pod into battle. There are scorpions inside which are released when the creature drops the pod. This painting was created for part of the games manual. Because the painting will be shrunk to around 10% of its original size I need all parts of it in pretty high contrast. I could explain more about the game if you are interested and I have time.

The boxart is a self established assignment for my university course, just as the portraits are. The gameplay will be discussed in the manual. I am glad you brought this up as it may need mentioning somewhere about the gameplay. The game is like a cat and mouse affair, where you are the mouse and the scorpion are the cats. BUT, this cat and mouse is more like Itchy and Scratchy from The Simpson's rather than Tom and Jerry. You as the player can fight back by triggering the dynamite on your back, blowing you and as many scorpion to bits. The goal is to get your team to the red pod and blow it up. But if you, as a member of this elite squad, sees that the team cannot make it without you sacrificing yourself, you have the choice to explode; taking out whoever is pursuing the team.

The idea of placing the scorpion in the background and obscure is so as to fill the space, but to also show that there is something lurking there.

---

Here is a painting I did before the other last three portraits. The tension can be seen in this one I think. oil on board

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    dR.Who/cYBERMan inspired doodle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sb. I liked your conceptstuff more than potraits. Hopefully you keep doing that stuff too.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazart View Post
    Nice sb. I liked your conceptstuff more than potraits. Hopefully you keep doing that stuff too.
    Thanks, its not that i have stopped drawing concepts, just that the portraits are taking precedence at the moment.

Here is another doodle. This time inspired by this weeks COW 'mother cannibal and child'. About 40 minutes or so in PS.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Another 2.

1: An improvement over a previous post.

2: Portrait titled Isolation.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Scorpion creature. not exactly a scorpion so no critiques about too many legs or anything :p

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Hidaho! Here be another bull, this time semi-female!

This ones in acrylic. I might still do a little oil on it before the end, just to clean some edges up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey you are back doing the concepts Is the portrait project finished?
    I actually saw a similar palette you are using in the fave artist in alphabetical earlier
    Hope I find it....

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Hey you are back doing the concepts Is the portrait project finished?
    I actually saw a similar palette you are using in the fave artist in alphabetical earlier
    Hope I find it....
    Hi Meduza,

The portrait project is nearly finished, just a few more final pieces to complete. I would show them but none of the new ones are scanned in/photographed.

Here is a poster I have designed for the imaginary game.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Sketches for CHOW 155.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Some more...

Thanks
    Thanked 11,084 Times in 2,636 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    until you stop being lazy about drawing from life, your work is not going to improve. you will keep making the same mistakes over and over again, just as you have been.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    until you stop being lazy about drawing from life, your work is not going to improve. you will keep making the same mistakes over and over again, just as you have been.
    Thanks Mr. Manley.

My course required outcomes without having to do life studies so all year I have been concentrating on final outcomes. Now that I have nearly finished I can get back to what is important, but without Life Drawing classes I'm afraid (none to speak of where I live). To offset this I will do self-portraits through a mirror, portraits of family and friends, and sketching in public. I'm not particularly lazy I just have had a lot on this year and neglected life studies.

You harsh criticism has been really useful. I will make it a daily process to include life studies, whether organic or inorganic.

---

No updates yet. Been busy organising my final show. I know I will do some life studies

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your portraits are lovely! i would really like too see a full-body portrait in that very interesting style

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    ajvenema: Thanks! I could try some full body paintings in the future.

-----

Taking up the call from Manley, here are some Chiselled Cube studies. The black glossy object is made from onyx. I made three carefully studied drawings and then some speed sketches to try and speed up my observation skills and overall improvement without the need for hand to eye measurements.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Some more life studies.

Cup, HDD, Simpson's Glass, Self-portraits or face and lips. I am learning from this so thanks Mr Manley! I needed this kick up the ass.

To mix things up a little I might begin a cartoon project. Similar to those weird creatures I did last year.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I've totally been posting in your old sketchbook. Your portraits in this thread are great. I love the stark darkness, and the textures you use in them.

One tid bit that might help is whenever your shading try and make the marks go the direction of the shape of the object. Have the lines wrap around the object, this includes people as well.

Nice to find you current book, looking forward to more!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by HugeHarHar View Post
    Wow, I've totally been posting in your old sketchbook. Your portraits in this thread are great. I love the stark darkness, and the textures you use in them.

One tid bit that might help is whenever your shading try and make the marks go the direction of the shape of the object. Have the lines wrap around the object, this includes people as well.

Nice to find you current book, looking forward to more!
    That's strange, who gave you the old link?

Thanks for the comments. I agree about painting in the same direction as the form. The portraits were painted so fast and careless that I neglected this principle.

Thanks for dropping by.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    This is a new image I am working on. I was first inspired to paint a rabbit, but while painting it became something else, maybe jar jar binks, maybe my pet dog...

I would say this is 70% complete in grayscale. I will possible colour this the way I was taught by Bobby Chiu

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a colour version. When making this I realise my lack of use with this technique has made me rusty. I think for this technique to work I need to work at it a little. I need some background info too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rist, I have been prowling your old SB. Glad to have finally found you. Post 107 left an impression. Your faces are amazing, the grasp of color is a joy to look at.
    Man, I want to suggest something which helps me, I practice my draftsmanship for one hour each day and that is above and beyond my paid work.
    I find it increases the authority of both my imaginary pics as well as my ref'd ones.
    Commit to it for a month and I think you will become addicted to the process.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Ed:
    Thanks! Those portraits were done over a period of 4 months, and yeah I was beginning to be committed to it. I am not sure its where I want to take a potential career though. I think I will incorporate what I learned into my illustrations.

---

Here are some thumbnails for a junior hockey team logo I have been asked to do.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Finally scanned my new moleskine!

Some are from imagination and some are observed. I do imagination because a few years ago when I just did observational it really drained my creativity. So here's a tribute to those reckless times!

1: Freaked out soldier wondering where the heck he is. I was possibly watching Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers when I did this. The second one is a random weird creature. I enjoy creating creatures which have no logical anatomy or believability.

2: This was so random. I was just rubbing graphite from my fingers onto the page and then I saw it. So I refined the imagined image and this is what came out of it.

3: Some more random drawing. Free the mind.

4: Also random drawings. Love drawing skulls when randomizing. I usually draw like this when bored.

Others will come shortly.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    A self-portrait of a mental patient. Maybe took 40 minutes, photoshop.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3