Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    hehe...That dude is repulsive! Not the art but the shapes of him makes him so;P
    The truth? I hate the Mofo...for no reason at all. Maybe because I associate his nose with a witch or the Jokers face shape. Remember Curves are friendly and Triangles are aggressive? I know it's deliberate, so good job making me not like him. If I ever cross him on the street I'd be like, "FU man! Your face is so pointy and shit!" But he has that round eyes, which maybe, he's not that a bad person after all. Anyway...he reminds me of John Turturo.
    I never knew that about triangles actually. I did want the creature to seem repulsive, evil, dread; so maybe it those needs were met. I guess spikes are evil for a reason

The eye was never really thought out, but now that I think about it I do like the idea of taking some of the edge of the creatures overall appearance.

Love the critters, but you have to admit they are rather cute. Like they're a part of Mitch Hedburgs joke.
    " The cutest infestation ever, don't go little fella..I just want to hug you and feed you a leaf..and pat you on the head." { I guess Mitch can only tell that joke and be funny
    I want my characters to seem a little cute but not grossly cute (the audience are made up of teens after all). So a lot of their natural moral alignment needs to show through.

The pencil renders are coming along but needs more contrast. I also have tons of animal planet and BBC dvds. Stuff I really don't need to know, I know now. I need watch creatures of the deep and lots of jellyfish stuff. I think I'll watch it again before I make a crit..hehe
    No worries over those pencil renders. I always sketch really roughly when doing ideas; it's my way of doing brainstorms. I figure why worry about light and shadow when I have the bigger task in figuring these characters out? I always reserve my best drawings and renderings for the final ideas (or ideas that need a little more 3D explanation).

I do own The Blue Planet. I have never really watched it properly (usually while painting), so I must do that some time!

I also like the idea of making it for teen audience. because when I was watching Power Rangers in my teens. I wasn't too critical about those monsters they fought. They just have to look badass. And the one eyed dude is a refugee of that show I think. Then they zap him and make the creature bigger and PR calls in the Robot and stop him. That happened everytime...can't believe I bought into that everyweek:{
    The issue with the teen audience at present is the beauty of gaming has spoiled them. Where we were enticed by the likes of Power Rangers, they are playing things like Gears of War, Halo 3, Metal Gear Solid 4...etc... So the difficulty is finding a niche market. Best thing is to look at what they like; which is usually action. My ideas are always changing so I will still reserve from sharing too much yet.

My next sheet will be for the humans, so first I need to do a little anatomy studying. I am thinking about not using standard proportions and going for a cartoon style. But as before, they cannot look too cute because of the problem of teens hating too cute things. I could always lower the age group even more and target the 7 - 12 audience; not sure yet.

---

This is my second Jellyfish sheet. Looking more in depth at each part of its body and what forms it. Still not the finished design.

Might try some thumbs.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Been busy with learn new software for the upcoming Uni year (dreamweaver, flash, etc), so I have not had much time working on sketches and paintings.

1± This is the new incarnation. I have changed my overall idea to function better with my universities criteria. I have combined the idea of having a jellyfish species and a crustacean species, and I have now one species to worry about. I am battling whether to make this creature a good DESIGN, or make this creature function its best in my overall fine art idea. It's a statement so maybe the function of the creature is less important than what the creature design is communicating. I am trying to make the creature seem grotesque (the horror in human characteristics), and also weak and feeble (the soft, kind, and overall weak human characteristics). It is like a design that embodies what humanity looks like if you saw it in its raw design, but exaggerated. The design is still in WIP and the idea too is still open.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Here are some thumbnails of this creature I am designing.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Rough new design from the thumbs (new way of working for me too).

Last edited by Rist; October 2nd, 2008 at 11:53 AM.

Thanks
    Sorry man, I have tried to reply a few times on my 56k internet. But I don't see the pics then:{

What I love about the work your turning in now is that the lessons from bobby chui is really surfacing Lovely turnouts of greyscale to color.

I have to watch out for mobility though...How would that snail looking thing move? Like a snake? a slug? Love the silhouettes!

Actually before...I was gonna suggest looking at the movie {forgot the title)
    Mira Sorvino is in. The bug actually in silhoutte adapts it self to look like a human being in silhouette. So people actually didn't know about a strange creature in their midst until it's too late. You also find that as well in natures critters. Man, there's so many unique ones I've watched

Going back to the 2 original ones...the other one looks like he has a poncho on. And there's one in those silhouettes that looks like a person is in there.
    Maybe you could use that mechanism.

The one thing I would crit about color is, you should put saturation where it begins to turn black or before the core shadow. Try looking at pictures and you'll see that The objects true color reveals itself there.

take care!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by meduza View Post
    Sorry man, I have tried to reply a few times on my 56k internet. But I don't see the pics then:{

What I love about the work your turning in now is that the lessons from bobby chui is really surfacing Lovely turnouts of greyscale to color.

I have to watch out for mobility though...How would that snail looking thing move? Like a snake? a slug? Love the silhouettes!

Actually before...I was gonna suggest looking at the movie {forgot the title)
    Mira Sorvino is in. The bug actually in silhoutte adapts it self to look like a human being in silhouette. So people actually didn't know about a strange creature in their midst until it's too late. You also find that as well in natures critters. Man, there's so many unique ones I've watched

Going back to the 2 original ones...the other one looks like he has a poncho on. And there's one in those silhouettes that looks like a person is in there.
    Maybe you could use that mechanism.

The one thing I would crit about color is, you should put saturation where it begins to turn black or before the core shadow. Try looking at pictures and you'll see that The objects true color reveals itself there.

take care!
    Always nice to see a reply from you!

That saturation tip is great; I understand that the lighter it gets, the less saturated it becomes; the darker it is, the more saturated it becomes. Interesting to keep in mind that the point where it is most recognisable as a colour is when it hits the midtone/transition.

The slug/crab/jellyfish is part of a fine art project and the lack of functionality was intentional. I know this is mainly a concept art forum for games and film, but I guess when it comes to fine art ca it has less rules to apply.

For instance, look at ±1, it can fly but there is no way it could ever fly on Earth (unless the body is, a: full of hot air, b: full of helium).

Thanks for the compliment about the Chiu lessons. I think those helped a lot, but also a lot of what I am apply has come from and CA.org videos.

±1: My latest design in the Crustacean/Jelly designs. This one has a shape like a nuclear mushroom, or a tree. The pincers look like Mediterranean scorpions. I like how the colouring is going, however I am pretty much winging it, so at some point I will stop and think about my next step. So this is still just a WIP.

±2: As promised by the title of this thread, here is a moleskine study. This one came from the ImagineFX magazine.

±3: Leg studies. Upside down some of them because I felt it was easier to copy from the book if my arm was resting on the book itself.

±4: Arm studies. Also a peek at my notes for the project.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    This is the final for this design. I tried to explore different elements with this one. Anyone have any advice on how to paint realistic translucent surfaces that have colour thick liquid inside?

Thanks
    okaaay...the moleskin is probably filled up right now, best to show us what you made

Probably just buy a baloon and put thick liquid inside it and hit it with light?

Thanks
    Nice seeing the process on that last one! Turned out nice

SSG 37The Show Must Go On!
    | Bard |

| My Sketchbook |

Thanks
    Hi, great thread.. try and make the liquid's color different than that of the translucent surface.. make it almost an opposite! That way we can check out the parts that have liquid or don't... just a suggestion!

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Meduza:

Hey there. Sorry I have not been updating much lately, I have been busy writing my dissertation and doing some general project work for university.

I have found for the liquid and light is 4 layers of cling-film and tide with string. This creates a really interesting shattering effect.

As for the moleskine, it did become full about a month ago, I will check it out and see if anything is worth showing. Otherwise I am going to begin showing some of my Uni work.

Thanks for visiting!

Matsign:

Thanks Mat! Below is the final design for that creature.

GriNGo:

That could make for an interesting design. I might look into that, thanks!

--------

I might need to explain what I am about to show before showing it as it may offend someone without an explanation.

This species I am designing is a symbol of being a victim. This includes any cliché that has been considered a victim of some type in the past. This would include, but not all: female, pregnant, child, disabled, elderly, cattle, suicide bomber (this was a difficult one to put in, but I am trying to be unbiased).

± first design decisions.

± head designs and also quick thumbnails for a game cover art.

± final design for the boneless creature.

± this is a painting done with liquitex. First complete illustration and needs some work. I am going to refine it in photoshop so as to tweak it for the game cover.

Now that my dissertation is nearly out of the way I will be doing a lot more sketches and paintings (hopefully!).

Thanks
    These are some cool pics, man!
    To define shape a bit easier, I'd try splitting my shaped into planes, kind of like low-polygon 3D models. One of my favorite artists, Euan Uglow does this excellently, you should check him out! I absolutely love his style

Thanks
    Glad to see you active again.

interesting concept.

SSG 37

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.