Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Portraits and Concepts!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    There will not be any updates for 2 to 3 weeks as I am going away. Once I get back I should have some work to upload!

pijus: Hi! That's what I enjoy doing the most. I have been pushing others areas to keep versatile. I want to get as good as to draw anything and everything with a degree of quality. So pushing other areas will keep my subject fresh.

meduza: Aye, what you were seeing before was a 'sketchbook' full of doodles and studies. I will post my renders and activity stuff, just for you!

The last one was a big disappointment! The creature design was pretty interesting because of the originality, but the output for the final piece was just not on track. I really need to become less complacent. I was never going to show it but I guess showing my weaknesses aswell as my strengths shows a true sketchbook.

Well see you in 2/3 weeks!
    Last edited by Rist; August 15th, 2008 at 12:31 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Coolness.

and see you in a few weeks then.
    SSG 37

Thanks
    See ya soon! I echo meduza in saying excellent work and presentation!

"You're doing it!'

As they say.
    SSG 37The Show Must Go On!
    | Bard |

| My Sketchbook |

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    One last post before I go (about 20 minutes until departure!)! I would love to say 'one last update', but this week has been so dry on the creative side its not been funny.

Nam: Thanks!

Matsign: Thanks, everyone needs this kind of encouragement sometimes! Jut seeing the amount of work you do pushes me into gear! Get those updates in for when I get back!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Hi.

I have been working but not really scanned it in yet.

Here is some work that is digitally done and is either unfinished or still in progress.

¢1: Soul Eater. I was starting this project but I stupidly decided to abandon it in order to pursue my Uni project.

¢2: Random portrait. I think I was just messing around here.

¢3: Flying Jellyfish. This was my first idea of this alien species. The project has advanced since then, but if you have advice on creature design it would be much appreciated.

¢4: This is my latest design for my exeskeleton-hybrid. If I scane them in, I will show the previous designs.

∞ Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 917 Posts
    yay for an update!
    Interesting looking creatures in your last picture.
    one thing I noticed in the side view of that random portrait[lol] is that you used an eye in the front view on a profile view of a face.
    You were just messing around, so maybe it was intended? 8D;

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by a la bapsi View Post
    yay for an update!
    Interesting looking creatures in your last picture.
    one thing I noticed in the side view of that random portrait[lol] is that you used an eye in the front view on a profile view of a face.
    You were just messing around, so maybe it was intended? 8D;
    Well lately I have been reading about Joan Miro, Salvador Dali, and Picasso. I think the eye was an unintentional subconscious intention. Who knows how our minds work when we doodle?

1¢: Here is a colour update. Not bothering with value yet as that has only relevance when creating a thing in 3D space (which character designing should not be, too much hassle). Thinking of tanned skin for the creatures because they live on a world with a hot climate, thus taking inspiration from our African brethren. The shell colour is still in question, and same with the eyes.

I'll get some sketches scanned in and uploaded tomorrow.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Dudes face looks like the missing piece of the medallion, man! hehe
    The flying jellyfish looks like an incognito coat hanger, cool!
    Love that you are greyscaling again

Well as for color with the last guys....Maybe orange would be the obvious choice. But would be boring I think, whenever there's a grayish exoskeleton and if you cook it or when heated, it becomes orange. Why they do that I don't know. Must research that;p

I don't know what purpose the claw ears have, but it's an odd place to put it.
    But it does seem cute in a design perspective because it resembles a bunny.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    meduza:
    1: Dudes face looks like the missing piece of the medallion, man! hehe
    2: The flying jellyfish looks like an incognito coat hanger, cool!
    3: Love that you are greyscaling again
    1: Not sure what you mean by the medallion face.

1: Now this was really just a random design. You know at the beginning of a project you have very little knowledge of what the thing you are designing looks like? Well this is that.

1: I think grey-scale can get boring, but I found my lack of understanding of value when painting in colour needed fixing.

Well as for color with the last guys....Maybe orange would be the obvious choice. But would be boring I think, whenever there's a grayish exoskeleton and if you cook it or when heated, it becomes orange. Why they do that I don't know. Must research that;p
    I like the idea of it glowing orange-red when overheated. Maybe when i human shoots the shell with a photon laser, the shell glows for a minute or so, creating a visual effect.

I don't know what purpose the claw ears have, but it's an odd place to put it.
    But it does seem cute in a design perspective because it resembles a bunny.
    This part of the design did not come about because they look like bunny ears, or look cute, but because it is part of this particular creatures evolution. These are the pincers left from evolution; the creature is a advanced form of a crustacean. Looking at how useful the human arms/hands and long legs are, I believe this could be one of many advanced forms (civilized species); whether this be from Earth or the planet Galron.

The idea of having pincers came from animals such as snakes, where they have little legs as a clue to what they evolved from. The idea of using pincers is new, so the design still needs to be tweaked. All the designs are still in WIP until I feel it is time to create illustrations from them.

Thanks for your thoughts Bard/Meduza. Really appreciated!

1¢: This is a design sheet for my jellyfish alien. I have not finished it and might not. I feel like I am going backwards when I draw digitally. Something about drawing with pencils makes things feel better and strangely more in control. The jellyfish is designed to fly; no science, just myth/fantasy/sci-fi. For instance the only reasoning behind a huge muscular dragon flying is its magic, because it is too heavy to fly normally. So maybe these jelly fish 'recycle' atoms instead of normal flight, so they continuously fly without expending any energy. Maybe these atoms feed the jellyfish its energy.

I will scan some images in today of what I have done.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Here is the first design sheet for the exoskeleton species. As you can see, the design changed quite dramatically. This was because I changed from a mature audience to a teen audience and thought humanoid characteristics are easier to understand.

For instance; WoW has the Tauran as a playable race that does not quite seem right. Final Fantasy 9 has that fat character with its red huge tongue sticking out constantly (even Vivi looked more natural). In Morrowind and Oblivion it was the Khajit and the Lizard people (forgot their names).

I know you must still be mystified to what the hell I am on about and doing. I still want to withhold what the actual project is about; at least until it is well under way.

I will upload the Jellyfish designs later.

Thanks
    Sup rist. Keep experimenting man, I think you're finding some interesting ideas. For crits I'd say that a lot of the pieces look a bit too soft and delicate. Make sure you think a bit about planes when you draw (for instance the big nosed guy at the top looks like he doesn't have much bone structure, he should have some sharper divisions in value to bring home the structure of a head.

Keep it up!
    SSG 37

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nam View Post
    Sup rist. Keep experimenting man, I think you're finding some interesting ideas. For crits I'd say that a lot of the pieces look a bit too soft and delicate. Make sure you think a bit about planes when you draw (for instance the big nosed guy at the top looks like he doesn't have much bone structure, he should have some sharper divisions in value to bring home the structure of a head.

Keep it up!
    Sure, will do! The side-view sketch was just a mess around; wasn't really thinking about anything at the time.

---

Here is the second sheet I promised. Its some of the Jellyfish sketches. I also have another sheet nearly finished that i will post tomorrow.

Thanks
    hehe...That dude is repulsive! Not the art but the shapes of him makes him so;P
    The truth? I hate the Mofo...for no reason at all. Maybe because I associate his nose with a witch or the Jokers face shape. Remember Curves are friendly and Triangles are aggressive? I know it's deliberate, so good job making me not like him. If I ever cross him on the street I'd be like, "FU man! Your face is so pointy and shit!" But he has that round eyes, which maybe, he's not that a bad person after all. Anyway...he reminds me of John Turturo.

Love the critters, but you have to admit they are rather cute. Like they're a part of Mitch Hedburgs joke.
    " The cutest infestation ever, don't go little fella..I just want to hug you and feed you a leaf..and pat you on the head." { I guess Mitch can only tell that joke and be funny:{)

The pencil renders are coming along but needs more contrast. I also have tons of animal planet and BBC dvds. Stuff I really don't need to know, I know now. I need watch creatures of the deep and lots of jellyfish stuff. I think I'll watch it again before I make a crit..hehe

I also like the idea of making it for teen audience. because when I was watching Power Rangers in my teens. I wasn't too critical about those monsters they fought. They just have to look badass. And the one eyed dude is a refugee of that show I think. Then they zap him and make the creature bigger and PR calls in the Robot and stop him. That happened everytime...can't believe I bought into that everyweek:{

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast