Thanks
    Follows
    Following

help on lighting!!! (Aug. 2nd update at bottom)

please comment on the lighting, not sure whether I do it right, just scroll to the bottom for the latest update. Many thanks.

=======================================

still working on this one, the lighting, design details, texture.... it's far from finished I think. Just got tired staring at it for too long.

however, if you find anything funny: perspective, proportion, anatomy, stupid design.... whatever... it's appreciated that you leave your comments.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mMark; August 1st, 2008 at 08:59 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start.

Right now there are a few things to watch for as you continue fleshing it out. I am not sure if this robotic character is supposed to follow human anatomy closely. So I'll assume it is and crit from that:

- Your figure is in a contrapposto stance and has a demeanor from the neck up of being more hunched over and sinister. If you are looking for the typicl contrapposto look (Michelangelo's David), you may want to correct the hips so the side closer to us is higher than the other. Also the head may need to be made more erect.

- If you are looking to pull the sinister hunched over look out of this character, you probably will want to reduce the size of the neck and lean the upper torso forward slightly. Also bring the shoulders foward.

- For me the neck is the only thing bugging me....not sure but it seems too long.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you liquidjack. I will think about your comments. I think I need to take a day or two away from staring at this painting. :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i don't know if this is just a layout to make more elaborate colour but i'll say this:
    the treatment of the body armor looks really good. i like the simplicity of it and it looks 'light' and works really well with the background. the head however, is over-treated and looks like it don't belong to the rest of the painting.
    as i said, i don't know at what level of detail your planning to give the finish look, but...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it comes out first with the face, which is the first vision I had in my mind. Then I designed this armor to go along with the tough guy (face).

So you are right, the armor's level of detail is much lower than the face.... lots of works left to do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mMark View Post
    it comes out first with the face, which is the first vision I had in my mind. Then I designed this armor to go along with the tough guy (face).

So you are right, the armor's level of detail is much lower than the face.... lots of works left to do.
    well, persoanly, i like the treatment of the body armor much better then the face's.
    anyway, try not to work in little pieces but as an over-all of the painting itself, and work it out gradualy. that way you can avoid different ellements with different treatments..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Nao k, you are right.

Anyway, I just few that this painting has major depth problem. I don't even know how far away those little hills are from the guy. (i.e. are they small hills not so far away from the guy........... OR ............ giant big hills very very far from the guy... hope I got myself straight)

How to sort it out? I bothers me a lot now. It makes the whole painting fake/childish/unblievable.

Last edited by mMark; July 22nd, 2008 at 09:46 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i didn't see any problem with these hills at first. i just thought u'r still in the sketchy stage of the enviornent. i understood that there are 2 hills, far but not too far in the distance, and a sunset in the horizon between them. u should take of coloure though. the hills and sky above them are sooo dark and in the same value (wow, that's actually the first time i mention that word in crit!weeee) that it's really hard to differinciate (spelling?) between them. if you're botherd by the hills get some reference of what u want to draw instead of imagining. u should do that anyway
    good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    works a little bit more on the background depth....

now his left leg bothers me a lot, got to fix that.

Last edited by mMark; July 22nd, 2008 at 09:30 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks real nice!
    there's a lot of dead space going on between the mountains and the soldier, get som boulders, burned/dead vegitation ect. for the middle ground.
    you would probably need some ovl i guess..
    be carefull of that utter darkenss u seem to be creating around him. i f the sunset it's the only light source then we won't be able to see him at all except for some highlights reflecting from the armour...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I still need to work on the lighting of the guy. There's a strong light source from below-left of the picture to him, havn't worked on it yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some suggestions:

I think one of your troubles is the right arm (the one without the gun). It seems like a mirror image of the left arm, especially with the forearm rotated outward. It makes the figure look a little too symmetrical, makes him lose interest. I would rotate it the other way a little bit, and have his hand not so much to the side view, maybe rotated towards him a little bit as well.

You should add more dark values to him as well to make him look like hes really a part of the shadow cast by the hill.

Also, the gun on his back kinda comes out of nowhere. I know theres probably not much you can do about it since its behind him. I have the same problem in some of my art pieces putting stuff that isnt supposed to be fully viewable, then having ppl tell me they cant see it and they want to haha

Hope I could be of some help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    little update, the concept got more and more voilent and darker and darker, seems out of my control. haha! Anyway at least, it gives a better reason for him to make that face.

Last edited by mMark; July 23rd, 2008 at 10:22 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    another update, working into details.... etc.... any comments are welcome....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    latest update. Can anyone have a look at the lighting?

I made a lighting source shooting up at the character from the low-left corner of the image.

My lighting skill sucks, many thanks. guys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    - to short legs, move hes knees down and move head up, the neck sits on top of the shoulders, not inside.
    - the dude got no balance in that pose, by tilting the hips, it will look more suported by the leg hes standing on. the whole character needs to be tiltet to the right.
    - to mutch black, dont loose ur midtones.
    - and why does he have egg in hes hair?
    - where is the light comming from, the BG indicates a sun in the sky, but the light hitting the characters are not from the top, needs consistent lightsource.

i hope i wanst to harsh on ya, dont get me wrong, its a great pice, u definitly got skill, you just needed some pointers.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lotet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks so much Lotet.

since the guy is standing in a valley, I suppose he won't receive much light from the sunset.

I designed another light source which is from the lower-left corner of the image (you don't see the light source, it's out of the picture). Do you think that will work?

Besides that, I agree on the anatomy corrections you pointed out there. very helpful, thank you man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the light from the sun/sky will always be there, if you want another light source from bottom left u have to go with both, in that setting it just looks weird without some sort of top lighting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks again Lotet.

Just so I was thinking about adding some top lighting. What color you have in mind for the top lighting?

As I don't think he receive much direct lighting from the sunset since where he stand is blow the horizen. So what color of the top lighting bounced back from sky you think?

My english suck, hope you know what I mean. :p

oh, forgot one thing. Is the guy's face too bright?

Last edited by mMark; July 24th, 2008 at 09:02 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the latest progress, please help me check the lighting... thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.