A little help before I kill myself:)

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey guys... I'm soo frustrated... I feel like I'm not moving anywhere and I'll just give up soon and just become some kind of a garbage man orrr a mail man or something...

Anyway... here is a crappy example that I did. I used a ref only for some kind of a "hanging down" pose... Could you guys please help me with this piece and in general. I'll probably need another kind of help soon, if you know what I mean

I think the girl is too warm for the background but what do I know... and I suck at these background too
    Oh and by the by... that's suppose to be a leaf :|

Attached Images Attached Images
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,166 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'd say if you're feeling frustrated with your current progress to step away from the digital painting. It's really tempting to do, but you will probably improve much faster by doing some traditional drawing (or digital, I suppose). I'd say to work on your anatomy and proportions. Just break out the Bridgman or Loomis (or whatever you prefer) and copy the drawings in it again and again and again. It might seem monotonous sometimes, but even if you don't notice it happening, you will improve. Also: nothing can substitute for a good life drawing class, where you can really apply your anatomy knowledge.

Now, for this piece in particular: pay attention to edges; they're veeeery important in painting (I'm speaking to myself right now, too). Her legs have very soft edges while the rest of her has a very sharp edge, making the legs appear very out of place.

Try to model the mountains in the background as great large masses rather than flat blue mounds. By capturing the light on them, and fading them into the background you're going to be able to add a lot of needed depth to the piece.

Keep working at it! We've all got our frustrating times to go through (in fact, I had one last week).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i don't have the time to write a full crit. but here some points u should adress, i hope this at least will get u started on fixing up things :

anatomy - she's all twisted up and the prororions are off. espicially the legs - they are way too short comparing to the long torso u gave her. check her right palm (front\). there no way it could be attached to the hand that way, and it's not really holding that leaf. ears are located too high - their base should be aligned with the botoom of the nose and eye corners.

postion. she seems to be standing on her tiptoes rather then hanging in the air.

my best advis at the moment is to get a friend to pose for u and take her picture or pictures: let her hang with a towell or something of that sort from a tree branch (or something of that sort) back and forth. yes, the neighbors might laugh at u but at least you will get A) reference for femail anatomy b) pose reference...

i really hope this helps a little. i know it's annoying not to get a specific suggestion, i'll try to come back later and add some...
    good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, listen to the guy above me. The human is pretty hard to draw right if you haven't got some kind of foundation, so putting some hours into getting that foundations will do wonders for your frustration level. Also, when you want to draw something, think of what story you're trying to tell with it. Which brings me to the biggest issue in your pic. Why is she sort of floating above this vague hill landscape waving around a towel? Really think about where she is, what's she's doing or going to do and why she's doing it. And then think about how you put the elements in the picture so that they put the message across best. It never hurts to stay in the conceptual stage a little longer,and do some more thumbnails before you start an illustration. Ok, that's it for today's pedantic lesson.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

just a little help

Its a good start and I know digital painting is hard as hell. All I did was work on the proportions a little and then put the mountains through a filter to make them mountain-colored, but i dont know if you where going for waves or for mountains, but here is just the quikie photoshop version, hope it helped.

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's good to have somebody to help in moments like this Anyway thanks all of you.
    @Noah Bradley, I do only pencils as traditional.. I've never tried acryl or oil or watercolor... :| And I live in a pretty small town. I traveled every week for an art class to the nearest big town but there is no figure drawing - only head. And there is another life drawing class that includes nude figure drawings but it's in the evening and basicly I'm not able to make that work :|
    And I've got the Bammes human anatomy but I don't know what exactly to copy... 10x very much, though

@Noa K, 10x. I fixed some of the stuff you mentioned. As for the girl thing and the hanging... let's just say that maybe you live in a better place where that is possible It was good crit, though.. don't worry

@walnut, Thats just some tiny elf girl who is flying with a leaf... I'm trying to make it more interesting right now so I'll see what could I come up with. It was a great lesson actually. Next time I'll try to design better my idea

@ChrisBefeld 10x for taking the time to play with this, man I was going for mountains I used your arm position, btw ))

I made some changes but it's like almost 4 am here so I'll probably should go to bed And I'll try to finish it tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi a_a

i don't want to overly stress things , some ppl get it in the wronge way, but u MUST use the right reference. i know my suggestion seems quircky but u can probably do it in a back yard or even find a place indoor to get similar effect, where u'll have privacy and won't get akward. if u can't take the picture yourself then try and find even on the web refernce of air-gliders, ppl riding omega sky-divers and ect. making a charater being pulled buy a gust of wind is pretty hard, so help yourself as much as possible and use as much ref. as possible to get u tounderstand the motion.

hey walnut! don't know what's up with your avatar but it's hilarious! made me smile first thing in the morning (noon actually, was up working till 5 am...)

good luck all!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yepp the avatar is pretty funny. But then again it's "Louis de Funčs" after all.. he's always funny
    Here is what I come up with. The "towel" thing did strike me a bit so I tried to make it more leaf-like I also added a a bit of cyan and blue in the highlights using the Color balance dialog. Just because I like it batter that way. Am I wrong for using this tools in photoshop? Like color balance, levels... liquefying tool.

I also added some kind of "distance-vision" device or something to her eye. Just to jazz it up a little bit. And some glowing things around her I worked on the background but I really don't know how I did it I got lucky I guess anyway.. I'm more satisfied with it now...

Oh.. almost forgot to put the image in

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no problem, background looks 50 times better, colors give the veiwer more depth perception of the mountains. Leaf looks great too, the ridges give it the detail that makes it "pop out". And as for using photoshop, there is no shame in using photoshop, its a tool just like a pencil is a tool. I use photoshop in every-single-one of anything I do. And anybody who tells you that using photoshop is in some way cheating, will never get the true potential out of their art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I must be an idiot, didn't notice that's she was floating. D'uh. Anyway, have you thought about putting more motion in the figure? Since she's airborne her legs may very well be trailing behind, that will give a better impression of flight. There'll be a lot of wind too, so her clothes'll be fluttering around her. Reference here'll come in very handy, maybe some Mucha for inspiration? Also, she's really hanging on that leaf, so her head'll be tucked in a lot, and her chest pushed out more (i'm saying out of purely objective reasons of course, in case you were wondering). And the leaf would bulge more. Look at a parachute, it billows out considerately. Leaf could be bigger too. Some compositional suggestions too btw. To further enhance the flight impression you could choose a higher viewing angle, plus i don't see a good reason why she shouldn't be centered more within the picture. You've got loads of dead space now on the right side. On a last note, lose the cyber-eye. It ain't working.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.