help with the goblin stomper

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey guy and girls. Ive been workin on this for the last couple days and I fear I might be in the "polishing a turd" territory LOL. Any advice would be appreciated I just keep seeing things I don't like and since i actually have some time now I can try and fix it. thanks for takin the time to help.

this is how it has progressed so far

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, we've got some work to to here...

First the pose. It looks completely unbelievable and unbalances, let alone powerful and imposing enough to sell a swing. Try turning her back arm and back hand so that we see the top of it hand, rather than the fingers. Also, the leg on the left side if the page looks completely broken and disjointed. You really need to define your pose before you jump this far into the rendering stages. Either consult some references, or (what I suaully do) take some pictures of yourself or someone else to use as a reference. Even a shitty phone camera can do the trick. Either way, you need to address these issues before you go any further.

Second, there doesn't appear to be any depth in the piece at all. I mean, on the goblin coming at her from behind, his cast shadow appears to be thrown onto some kind of invisible flat wall that's inches behind him, instead of a rough cave wall clearly supposed to be in the distance. For that matter, consult some tutorials on lighting and shadow, because it doesn't seem to be consistent. Generally speaking, the closer the light it, the harsher the contrasting shadows will be. The farther it is, the less contrast, and the softer the shadows will be, etc. As it stands she has this incredibly bright light on her rod thing that just seems to light everything ambiently. These are also come things to think about.

Congradulations! You have taken the first steps to becoming a better artist my friend! Remember not to be discouraged, and above all....

"Fear no art."

Best of luck to you, I look forward to this piece's progress with great anticipation.

-Dread_Reaper

Dread_Reaper's (HORRIBLY OUTDATED) Book of Darkness and Stuff

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119607

Current Threads:

DIABLO III fan art
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=275543

Also check out my new website!

http://nickgilliland.daportfolio.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the useful crits Dread. I appreciate what you said about referance because I pride myself on being able to find a good picture to work from when it comes to a complicated pose. I actually used a pic of a girl swinging a tenis racket for this picture but I guess my skills arnt obvious enough (yet :-)) to tell. I dont like her right leg at all but I think its because I can't seem to get her shadow right.

As far as her back arm goes. I fealt if i turned the arm around it would force her into a more aggressive stance like you said, but I wanted her to still maintain a defensive posture as well.

I know I do need to study light and shadows more but I was going for a very small cave therefore the shadow would be close but I know I don't have the skill to perfect that and i wish i could get it to look the way i see it in my head more

I thank you for your help and support and I take everything on board. hope I can improve and make it better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK ive tried to sort out the shadow problem by strengthening the appearance of a deeper cave by adding some surounding rocks.

I have replaced the armoured boot with one like her other leg and cast more of a shadow on it du to it being more under her then in front. I really didnt want to change the positioning of her left hand but do you think it's a must?

Please let me know if I'm on the right track here cause i'm fairly new to digital artwork and don't want to sway to far off track. Even though I don't really wanna be like everyone else I would love to get better.

Thanks for the help

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.