Art: Jussi Tarvainen portrait progress - Page 2

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Aaaaaah, FINALLY digital! And it's actually pretty good! I'd suggest using a very simple, strong lighting like that from a desk lamp directed at your face in an otherwise room. This way you can observe two things, first, how nthe lightsource actually models the surface in values, and how warm light produces cool shadows and vice versa. There's much to be learned! Keep it up!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    read the book "drawing on the right side of your brain" by betty edwards.
    i -promise- it will improve you. good job on these. keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay here's a picture of me so you have better idea which of my drawings is look a like

Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
    -Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jussi Tarvainen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is probably a 2 hour study. I was concentrating on the negative shapes and started with the outline, but then I kinda forgot about what's underneath the skin... I guess I need to write that on my forehead because I have a note on my mirror about planes and what's under the skin and I still sink so deep into drawing that I tend to forget things

-Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Algenpfleger, definitely need to do that. When I draw m other self portraits I have that desk light to give me those shadoes but this was just with natural light... way too hard still so I'll get the desk lamp for my digi portraits as well. Yes, so much to learn Just need to keep focused on a few things at the time to get the most out of them.

kauser.ali:I actually just watched her video and it made a lot of sense and starting an online atelier style studies today which takes up on all the aspects and more that are in her book. Thanks for the tip!

-Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well sir, you should better just concentrate on shapes and form right now. The thing with the planes is good to have in mind already but are youa ctually aware why you need to know what's under the skin?

It's because the face isn't motionless that you need to know about muscles and how they behave for certain expression and where all the flesh and fat is attached to them. You wouldn't need to know any of this if the face was just static, in fact if anything was jsut static. That's why you don't usally do anatomy studies of trees and stuff like that
    So right now you're actually just doing the same neutral expression over and over again, it's good if you understand how the stuff underneath the skin aligns but you surely better focus on the shapes right now. What I can tell from the photo is that there are quite some things messed up with the last one, the nose is too narrow, eyes too wide thus making the lips too wide.

So what you could do to speed up the process of getting those things right is for example draw yourself from the photo as long as it needs to get things right and then try it again in front of the mirror. After all I've seen that the thigns you drew from the loomis book resample what's actually in the book fairly correct. However, this is something you develope with a lot of drawing.

Well, with other words: Just keep working

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kurjuus, I really appreciate you taking the time and write this.
    You're definitely on point what you are saying. Why I thought I needed to be aware of everything under the skin as well as the planes was that those would help me understand the form better even when it's still as well as they would help me in the future.

Actually today I'm starting an online school atelier style www.classicalartonline.com which is digging these exact things you mentioned Check out MindCandyMan's journey here at CA.org.

Thanks mate!

-Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alrighty so here's some news why I haven't been posting in a bit. I've learned a ton how and what I should be doing. I'm so out of clue about the basic knowledge of drawing and I need to get a solid foundation which I can start to build upon. But first I need that foundation.

So I've started and online art atelier style school www.classicalartonline.com. The teacher is the MindCandyMan from CA.org and you should check out he's journey here. Anyways I will learn different tradition mediums with traditional ways to study and learn how to see things like an artist should etc. So far it has been amazing and I've learned a ton in just a few days!

So on the side of studying with him I am also learning perspective and human anatomy. First I am tackling perspective full on. I have a great book called Creative Perspective for artists and illustrators by Ernest Watson. And also got DVD's from draw123.com. I will be using those for quite some time until I've learned perspective in and out. Reason why I'm starting with perspective is because it applies into everything. You will understand mass and form a lot better and understand how to draw bones, muscles etc. from different views and sizes etc. So perspective will make anatomy easier for me.

Those are the things I'm concentrating probably for the next few years depending on how long it takes to learn everything.
    So it means less updates here. At least for the little while. I am creating a new thread for the Online atelier studies but perspective stuff will be too boring for you guys to look at and I can use the time to draw more.

So this thread will be revived again after I get back to anatomy etc.

Thanks for all the feedback and critique, it has helped me IMMENSELY and I appreciate it so much!

See you around!

-Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great improving =)
    keep it up ^^
    but you stopped posting a while ago..
    any special reason?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Kisha,

Thanks for the nice words.
    I did stop. Main reason is because I decide it's better for me to learn things in certain order so they will support each other, I learn faster and I get less frustrated. Also when you learn all the basics you'll have a solid foundation which will help you become more skilled later when there's no basic things holding you back.

I'm studying at an online atelier at the moment where I learn to use pencil, charcoal and oil paints by doing certain exercises in certain order. I also learn to see angles in nature, relationships(proportions) in size and value, train my arm and so on. It is much easier and you learn faster by learning to draw from a cast for example which doesn't move, lighting will stay the same and it's easier to see shadows. Also you learn to simplify things which makes it easier rather than starting with a detailed drawing. Everything in life can be simplified into more simple shapes like a sphere, rectangle, cone and so on. That will help you understand form as well.
    I also study perspective which will support my understanding of form and space and it is one of the most important basic skills in my opinion. And I'm doing some assignment like drawing portraits from other people.
    Main thing is to draw all the time but with certain exercises you can learn faster and things which will help you in the future.
    I will be back when I've acquired more skills. Check out my sketchbook for the most recent stuff and maybe you'll find some tips which will help you as well.

-Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks =D
    i'll definately do that =)
    and maybe you could give me the link to this online atelier you spoke about?
    that'd help a lot
    x3
    and i guess i won'T post my drawings here..
    we'll see XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kisha, oh sorry about that. It's www.classicalartonline.com

You should for sure post drawings in the forums. Starting a sketchbook thread will help you progress as you get feedback. It took me a while to find the courage but it's more than worth it. No one's going to bite you

-Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah.. thanks x3
    no i don't think about posting here cause of the biting-thing =D
    it's only i'm such a lazy-ass to scann all my scetches.. and they are not even good..
    anyways, do you have msn oder icq?
    =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kisha,
    took me a few years to get the courage and devotion to art and to post here but I now wish I'd started posting when I found this forum because it has helped me improve so much. No matter what your skill level this place will help you learn. You can find a lot of tips on my sketchbook thread of what has worked for me and maybe will work for you too. Sorry don't use either because I rather use my time on art

-Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a self portrait from a photo reference. I wanted to try how I've improved and though I don't like drawing from photos they do have some advantages. Now I actually have a technique I can use as before I just scrambled all over the place. Proportions are a bit off and the face should be taller and should play with the values still... Very fun though

-Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey YuZa, it's a pleasure to look at your self-portrait thread! There's definitely improvement since your first page. For critique, i'm no master but it seems that the eyes are a little bigger than it's supposed to be. Use the center of the eye as a gauge, it's usually about one eye wide. I tend to draw eyes bigger too though

The construction of the face is looking good, so keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shamandalie, hey thanks for the props and feedback! Aah, you aren't the first to tell me that I have a big problem with eyes. I draw them from memory though I'm looking at a reference and I forget to keep an eye on the "rules" like face is 5 eyes width. Happens to me every time. Thanks for the heads up, I needed that. So from here on out when I draw a portrait I'll write a list where everything is supposed to be based on before starting the actual drawing

-Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see a lot of improvement from the first images. Keep it up you have a great attitude!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update

Took me 6 full 8 hour days to make this self portrait. It wa s a lot of fun and relaxing compared to the casts. It was also the first thing I've done all on my own with no teachers help. This really was a break through for me and it made me realize I will be a professional artist one day no doubt about it.

It looks pretty damn good to the ones I made a year ago
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...44&postcount=2

-Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jussi Tarvainen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man, you have made some awesome improvement over the year mate! really liking your latest. the lighting in that is very nice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Totally amazing. I love this. You should be so proud of yourself, that is great, and what an improvement. So well done, thanks very much for sharing. Any pics of the stages and some info on the materials?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks fantastic, great job. Is it just charcoal on white paper? Really nice work man, keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What a leap! Great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Definitely cool to see the improvement Jussi! The thing that popped out at me was the size of your eyes, they seem bit large. Other than, I guess that's what 3 bargues and 3 casts will do to a person hehe! Great work!

Sketchbook Support Group
    Earendil Jussi Tarvainen Reidaj

~Hope~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kudos people!

No87: Thank you. It is great to see some results finally Actually the lighting is very harsh. In the future I will need to use those long bulbs or natural light.

jigje: Thank you, I appreciate it. Didn't take any in between pictures of this as it was just "for myself" but I will in the future. I need to post some in progress ones from my casts as well. Thanks for the heads up. Material is charcoal on paper. Canson mi teintes if my memory serves me correctly.

cdejong: Cheers mate. Yes you got.

Taneli: Kiitos

Earendil: Harsh reality and much appreciated, thanks a lot Luke. I didn't see it before you pointed it out. Actually my head is about 1cm too wide which widened everything. Thought they eyes still are too wide. I did some work on them and they're a bit better now. Definitely a thing I need to concentrate on. Or actually I concentrate too much on eyes and maybe that's why they always tend to be too big.

Here's some more work on this one and signed it off.

-Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For some reason I'd missed your self portrait thread until today.. you have definitely taken a big step up with your last self portrait. Awesome job. Kudos for putting in 8 hr days... I don't think I could stand looking at my reflection for that long!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude, that's definitely a breakthough. Amazing progress. All i can say is that don't let it end here! Keep it going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi, your last post is deadly, you can see how much you've learned with practice and discipline. well done

"its not the thought that counts, its the shape of the idea"
    Sam Beckett

professional portfolio, films ive worked on, illustrations, paintings etc
    http://rayforkanart.com

my blog, work, sketch books, play etc
    http://rayforkan.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy Sh!t dude, you should be really, really proud of yourself. You've gone from quite shabby, (no offense), to photorealism, and yet you still managed to maintain your own unique character and style!

Keep up the amazing work, your progress is inspirational.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reidaj thanks a lot. Yes that part was definitely interesting. It feels weird after I was done and took the drawing off the easel that I was looking into myself on a drawing but still there was something connection there... weird to explain, maybe my sanity went down the drain after having this intense staring contest for a week... well the drawing still keeps staring so I loose

Shamandalie, Thanks for the encouragement. Trust me, I wont

Beigeape, you hit the point. Hard work and discipline.

Theodoric, thank you. No offense taken It is good to be realist and when I started I had no idea how to approach drawing. Now I have learnt concepts, procedures how to approach drawing and trained my eye I can actually get some results.

Important is first to train your eye to be accurate and be able to draw accurately before you can loose yourself in style and "looseness". Hard thing to explain but I hope you know what I mean. You can see the loosest painting with only few obviously descriptive lines and yet it can be seen as realism with right proportions and values.

How I have been taught to approach drawing at the atelier is to see everything as abstract forms(negative spaces, triangles, angles) instead of an eye or lips. Just lines in different angle compared to everything else in relations and same goes with value. But this only works when drawing from life.

I want to say to all that if you want to become good, develop a rigorous work habits and discipline not only will you learn faster, those habits are required if you wish to be a professional. I see it that if you don't have those it doesn't matter how much talent you have you wont survive. But then again who am I to say as a just a student for a year.

-Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.