How far ahead does your "art" brain work?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following

How far ahead does your "art" brain work?

I took a break a few hours ago from dropping sheet rock on my foot for the fortieth time in the last five days and realized I really wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. I don't mean doing something dangerous or messing up or whatever. It's just basic construction stuff I can do in my sleep. I simply discovered I'm not thinking about the construction in an obvious way...

But while this is going on, in my head I was cataloging art projects into various mental slots based on amount of time required, sizes, accessibility to materials, and how much storage/working space I'd need. I was even making decisions on what media would be used, colors, and topic/sub-topic/theme. And I'm not talking about five or six pieces...one series has over 30 paintings required, and I'm almost mentally done completing the reference I need. All told, I'm talking about 350+ pieces including three-dimensional sculpted pieces--that i hope to finish over 3 years+. Thinking about it like this, and saying it out loud...is...weird...

Am I crazy, or do others do this to some degree, too?

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I do this all the time.

I find myself mentally organizing what I need to do/when/how etc...but now I actually need the discipline to do it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is impossible, men aren't that organized .

I wouldn't call that crazy or weird in any negative way, to that scale I'd say good on you, I'd love to be able to think that far and detailed ahead but I guess I don't understand how these things work yet nor have I been working in art long enough to know all the subtle details that can be easily overlooked and therefore can't do it to that extent.

For a while now I'm occasionally reminded of how people in other fields of work, like leading builders and engineers, can determine an accurate timescale on when projects will be done on the spot, these people have been working in the industry for years and years, and know the ins and outs of whats required in any given project because of their track-record and past experiences with working in the same field.

So I guess I'll get back to you with a better answer in about 10 years .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I know what you mean.
    I do do a bit of forward thinking, often making sure I have one animation project and one concept art project to work on, and one of each waiting in the wings. I like to let my subconscious gnaw on an idea for a bit - as the Already Been Chewed ideas tend to regurgitate onto the page easier.

But I don't think I've ever managed to keep more than 6 steps ahead of myself. Too many ideas clinking around in the back of my mind makes for quite the distracting cacophony. And it's somewhat embarrassing to find yourself standing in an elevator for 15 minutes giving the buttons a lobotomized stare.

But, 350+?
    My god, Ilaekae.
    I think around 100 my brain would forcibly eject itself from my skull in protest. Your subconscious must be beast to chew on so much at once with only a few potentially dismembering blond moments.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Most of the time when I sit down to draw or paint I have absolutely no idea what's going to come out, or at most I will establish a simple, vague goal or theme.

I find that I really enjoy letting things evolve as I'm working on them and making "happy accidents", or some part comes out particularly well, or I recognize something literal in an abstract shape I made within the work and it inspires me to go in a new direction that I wouldn't ever have planned out beforehand. My creativity is very "stream of consciousness" driven when I'm just making something for myself.

It keeps things exciting for me because not even I know what I'm going to end up with when I put the pencil down.

I am learning the hard way that this approach is not very friendly with physical paints though. I'm finding that I need to force myself to set out fairly detailed plans with traditional paints, otherwise I end up with a mess and waste far too much material.

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm... I should do more of this.

dark eagle is offline i hatea the italino sterotypes ina da soc'ty Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You need to sleep more, and keep beautiful paintings to a minimum so that when you do make some your excited and get it finished for one and want to get it done to a good degree.

ALH is offline one of those tiny little dogs rich people keep in their vaginas
    Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thinking and doing are two very different things. I've planned whole projects in my head before but then never actually gone through with them, either through not having the time or just never getting round to it.

Its nice to have that kind of thing in the back of ones mind though, you never know when they may come in handy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's a sort of brain hierarchy I have for art projects.

Top tier is the painting I'm working on right now. This is usually only one painting, sometimes two.

Second tier are other paintings in whatever project I'm working on that I'm actually fairly certain of the direction I want to go on them. 3-5 images?

Third tier is the rest of the paintings in my current project, the ones I'm still mentally turning over for the approach I want to use.

Fourth tier are personal projects that are still portfolio and career oriented that I want to get to when paying work is done. Some of them are fairly complete mentally. This includes currently wanting to make a nice website for myself, and some new images to support that, or areas that my portfolio doesn't currently show much of, but I'd like to get work doing.

Fifth tier are vague ideas for personal paintings. These are usually just basic thoughts like "I'd like to paint a giant robot soon."

All told, there might be 15-20 images floating around, which includes alternate versions of images and so some won't ever get developed once I decide which direction I like best. Many of these are fairly rough. I can't imagine having much more than that or I'd go crazy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You mean you're thinking?
    I've been aware that my mind worked that same way since I was...well...as far back as I could think. I begin with a big jumble of ideas then they all kinda merge into one thought and I have a project all thought out from beginning to end. Multiply by a lot and you get what's in my head right now. The last step is, obviously, whether or not I stop being lazy and do the work. (I never do...)

It's a big problem for me since I lose a lot of sleep over it. I figured all artists worked in a similar way. It looks like some try to keep it under control though, I should try that...

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,375 Times in 3,596 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I’ve always found manual work therapeutic. While still concentrating on the job at hand, I can let my mind rove freely. Not sure I can plan out that many pictures in advance when I start to lay the lounge parquet floor and stick up some plaster coving this summer, but I might give it a go. Had enough of plumbing when I replaced the bathroom sink; it was kind of Laurel and Hardy eat your heart out.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My bathroom has turned into the Three Stooges Meet the Marx Brothers on the Titanic...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This made me laugh ^_^ thanks.

Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think about a lot of ideas for future drawings, but when it comes to sketching something from imagination, all I consider is what I want to draw and the rest I make up as I go along.

It's really not a good mindset to have...at least in my mind. I like working with watercolors and inks which require a good deal of planning. D:
    ....I'm working on it...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Too far probably.

The planning part has become like an all consuming obsession for me lately. It's gotten to the point where I don't even consider them independent drawings anymore. They're all ancillaries to the broader idea now, even the ones I spend months working on; everything has become a like rough proof or trial run with no sense of completion or finality to it. I find myself envisioning this project a decade or more out, fantasizing, and getting so caught up in the research and the architecture of it, that I sometimes forget what I'm about. I've also taken to pacing around the living room at night and stretching my insomnia to the limits. That's probably why wiser people are always reminding us not to attach too much significance to ourselves. I don't know though, it's an issue for me too is what I'm saying.

You should go watch Coppolas’ latest film, based on Mircea Eliade's novella. I think you might find it interesting.

Anid Maro is offline Psychotic Eldritch Zeppelin Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I do that all the time, and not just about art but most anything I either have to do or want to do. Very frequently I've got two things going on in my head at once, the task at hand and some other project I'll be doing in the future.

It's not quite like daydreaming though, like if I'm thinking about artwork it's not as if I'm imagining the process of making it... that's better left for the actual doing! Rather, like Ilaekae was saying, it's all just planning that I'd have to do prior anyways. What medium, size, subject, compositions, possible color schemes, et cetera. Which is awesome because when I get to sit down and draw or paint I have a clear idea about what I want to do.

Same goes for any papers I have to write for college too. Drives some people nuts, I can go weeks or even months without anything to show for it but in my head I've been working on it almost non stop. When I finally do get to writing all I'm doing is slapping down what's in my head and then organizing it into a readable manner, the real work is already done by then.

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have trouble falling asleep (sometimes 2-4 hours), so I find myself choosing a project at random and going through the entire process in my head the same way. Sketch it, correct it, color it, then try alternate approaches with the same piece until I get something I like. This I kind of "burn" into memory for future use. I also plot any sequential pieces out like this just before I fall asleep.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hell, I have trouble planning what I'm going to have for my next meal ...

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...meal...?

...lemme google that...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ... yeah ... typically a small furry thing that scuttles around the house ...

... the slow ones. I'm lazy.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think about projects when Im pooping on the pooper seat ^_^

Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think about projects, but I don't plan anything out the way I do with school projects. Because of that, I think I probably hold back on DOING. So I'll probably start putting the projects in my schedules...

Ahhhhh, lack of sleep... I suffered from that last night, amongst most every other day these past months.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.