One Foot In The Grave

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

One Foot In The Grave

The critiques that I received on the first piece that I posted were so helpful that I thought I'd try another. This is an acrylic on canvas 24X36". It's part of a series which presently consists of two pieces, but I have sketches for several more. Let me know if it would help to see the other one...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is pretty neat. It has the colors, the stories that entwine, the focal points and goreness!

Crit: To me it's a bit busy. While the sky/heaven is getting a lot of attention, there's so much going on that it takes a lot of time to sink it all in.. and still miss things. Seems like an insane amount of work you worked out very well. What also 'bothers' me, is how the boy on the left and the kid with umbrella have a gorgeous very realistic style, that clashes with the cartoony style of the gravediggers/other monsters. I guess it adds to the storytelling, but overall, i'm wishing these were more seperate pieces to really admire the emotion in there, cos the poverty, lonelyness and tragedy do show so nicely from these.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cookiedough For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like this image, but one thing seems to bother me about it and that is the monotony in tone. You have some dark areas, but no sense of depth through tone here. Being this in acrylic, it would be impossible (or at least tedious and time consuming) to darken a few key areas. I want you to make a traqnslucent glace with oils and deepen a lot of these areas. Since the acrylic acts as a primer, it won't effect it negatively.

Mix a fair amount of Linseed Stand Oil with Alizarin crimson / black and then with refined linseed oil to thin it up. Play with the mixture on a separate piece of canvas until you get the mix to lay down a translucent red'ish-black. Then, glaze your bone wall down so it darkens a few tones. I would even go and glaze over a few of those snake bodies in the far back to give it a sense of depth and coming towards us.

If you aren't used to this kind of process then experiment on some black canvas. But i think you can really bring this piece up to a new level with the glaze.

Great piece over all

My work: [link]

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks for the crits

Thank you both for the crits and advice, I'll take these into consideration. While I might not rework this piece I'll definately apply your suggestions on any new works that I do. Haven't been using oils for a while, but I think that I can get a similar effect with acrylics using mediums.

If you're interested you can check my profile for a link to my site. I do have some less busy work. I really like a piece like this that can be looked at over and over and still have things to find.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeyowxu/improvisedrituals/

Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.