Eow 88 Abadoned Amusement park VOTE PLEASE!
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: EOW88 Abandoned Amusement park POLL!

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • revenebo

2 2.33%
  • flashrabbit

6 6.98%
  • artiphats

0 0%
  • zirngibism

10 11.63%
  • goran

30 34.88%
  • tsujni

4 4.65%
  • lyconeus

2 2.33%
  • xezor1324

7 8.14%
  • os2008

25 29.07%

Thread: Eow 88 Abadoned Amusement park VOTE PLEASE!

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Eow 88 Abadoned Amusement park VOTE PLEASE!

EOW 88 abandoned Amusement park

REQUIRED
    evidence of what used to be an amusement park

DUEJuly 18

Ya'll did fantastic on the DEEP round, hope some of you newcomers will become regulars, this should be right down the alley of those who like it dark and creepy

NO description required, say what you need to say visually.

thoughts to ponder
    why is it abandoned?
    WHo played there?
    what is the gravity?
    haunted?/not haunted

You all did Super! like the icons? Lets do it again the same way!

FOLLOW THE TOPIC.

POST YOUR FINAL IN THE FINAL BURNING THREAD.

SAVE YOUR FILES IN THE FOLLOWING FORMAT.
    EOW##_Nickname
    example: "EOW#100_Chaosrocks.jpg"

PLACE THE IMAGE IN A FRAME WITH YOUR NAME/TOPIC

example from CHOW

(you can add CA logo, etc).

Add an icon to you final post
    150 pixels either direction
    PLEASE OUTSIDE HOST THE ICON
    k thx

Last edited by chaosrocks; July 19th, 2008 at 11:20 PM.
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

revenebo is offline orchitect and designerd
    Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Final

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I said I was going to do oils for this one and I did. Should have spent more time but it was good to see what I could do in a couple hours, since oils are still new for me. At any rate here we go...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Originally, the backstory was the following:
    This takes place in the near future. A new kind of thrill park came about in which rides boarded and started precisely, everything being controlled by a computer (so long, carnies). Different roller cars criss-crossed in front of each other, nearly missing one another. They were programmed to, and it really was exciting! Many of the rides were of similar design to those today, but with an added "illusion" of danger. Imagine the thrill of speeding down a hill in your car to be narrowly missed by another car from a different coaster track! If a problem happened with the syncronization system (or a ride was recorded to have started too early/late) the entire system was designed to shut off (through the carefully calculated slowing down of the rides)-- which it should've done on July 4th, 2016. Eighteen people died in the resulting collision before action could be taken to shut off the system. The serendipitous date made many people suspect anti-American terrorists, but the investigation brought no evidence for this. The park officials appealed to re-open, proposing several more backup safety precautions, but the courts turned down the rebuilding of any such parks. These owners, bankrupt from lawsuits, deemed it too costly to remove the park equipment, and instead inclosed it in an easily-scalable fence.
    It is now 2031. The park's once finely-trimmed trees have now become an eveloping forest; the virginia creeper and poison ivy vines are now encapsulating its frames. It's been the site for hundreds of poison ivy outbreaks, many serious injuries, and even a couple deaths of brave children who love playing on the equipment.

Anyway, the actual piece turned out a little more peaceful than I'd previously intended, more muted. A little creepy, yes, but not haunted looking. I'm afraid I didn't show enough of how the rides "nearly missed" each other in the park's timed rhythm, but I think the image came out OK anyway without it.

Last edited by Zirngibism; July 20th, 2008 at 12:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

It was two months ago when “Behemoth” the biggest rollercoaster in the world suddenly collapsed, it happened on the
    busiest week-end of the summer,the investigation crews are still collecting the remains of the victims .The reason for
    the accident was still unknown , until today.....

Last edited by goran; July 20th, 2008 at 11:32 AM.
    When I was young, I could do all-nighters in my sleep.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    revenebo - very nice. I love the details such as the green ice cream dripping, and the way the animals on the carousel seem to be looking at the little girl. Nice atmosphere and sense of anticipation.

flashrabbit - spooky one! great rendering, I love the nightmarish feeling. Reminds me of Rosemarys Baby. Well done on this one.

artiphats - thats me! I would usually not say this about my own work since I am usually at least somewhat satisfied, but I am dissipointed in my image. Looking back at my original sketches and ideas I should have had more confidence in being able to pull one of those off as a final, and alas I have already painted over the canvas leaving only a sky and rocky ground elements. The good news is that I have something new to use as a foundation for another project... I won't let the oils die!

Zirngibism - nice rendering here as well, the way I read it as a picture alone is that something went terribly wrong with that coaster. Then I read the story and like the concept, but I agree that more rides should cross each other. I only wish I could see a bit more of the park overall with that nice overhead view you chose.

goran - good lord man great entry! Got my vote, I love the story behind it and you did a good job taking a piece that was almost too abstract for the topic, then adding to it to tie it all in. Excellent stuff here.

tsujni - you are getting better with every piece I see from you. Looks destroyed and abondoned, but I just dont see a lot that reads amusement park. Is that a gun turret in the front? Maybe the idea here is that what used to be a place of entertainment is now war-torn? That's what I see, also wish the girl was more noticeable, right now there is not much leading he eye to her, IMO.

Lyconeus - Your dull color palette is a good choice and I love the details such as the spider webs. Looks very abandoned and moody. Nice job.

Xezor1324 - I like this one a lot, you and os2008 were close seconds for me. Everything reads well and sticks to topic and I love the rain. Good job.

os2008 - Beautiful painting, I love your colors, I say this only because I have seen other work from you - and that is that the painting looks a little too loose. It almost works with the topic but in the end falls just a bit short for me, the picture in general is set up well I just think it could have been a little tighter - I know your skill level is capable

See you all next round

-Ray

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to artiphats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by artiphats View Post
    ***snip***
    tsujni - you are getting better with every piece I see from you. Looks destroyed and abondoned, but I just dont see a lot that reads amusement park. Is that a gun turret in the front? Maybe the idea here is that what used to be a place of entertainment is now war-torn? That's what I see, also wish the girl was more noticeable, right now there is not much leading he eye to her, IMO.
    ***snip***
    -Ray

First of all, excuse any weirdness on my part, I'm drunk, too many merlots.
    Thank you, I was concerned that the piece wasn't "amusement" enough. The girl and the turret are ghosts.
    On, and Zirngibism, thanks for the vote, love yours too! Goddamn, girl you got a vote from Cicinimo!

Last edited by tsujni; July 20th, 2008 at 05:19 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I'll do a round of crits myself (yes I know I write too much I can't help it :-\):

renevebo--> I like the humorous interpretation. (The park looks pretty active to me, but I suppose that could be because it's haunted). I don't know about anyone else but that border doesn't do anything for me. Perhaps because that orange can't be found anywhere in the picture? Perhaps as an alternate border you could've repeated the border from the carousel. Oh, and is that girl tribute to an illustration of a girl releasing balloons over some post-Apocalypse scene? If it is, nice touch!

flashrabbit--> The winter scene was a good idea, as well as the decision not to show the thick of the park and instead the main part more or less at a distance. The composition isn't bad (though the foreground tree might do better not being in the exact center and it doesn't really look like any of the other trees).

artiphats--> Wow-- traditional! On CA! *bounces* The composition/colors makes me think of a couple of Kandinsky's pieces. But I don't see it fit too well with the theme. You've got so much energy going on. Because your strokes are following the diagonal direction of the shapes, and the center ride's remnants make it look directional (like it's rotating and those are the motion lines) the park looks like it's in full swing (maybe the ghosts are having a wild party). Stick with oils, but check out what some of the old masters do when it comes to composition.

Me--> Overall I feel pretty OK about how this turned out... though I'm looking at this through a different monitor and realizing how much different it is than the one I made this in. It looks too low-contrast and muted on this one while it looked fine on the comp where I worked on it... Anyway, I should've shown more crossing rides like I wrote in the description. Also, I think the middleground part needs a more atmospheric perspective because it's a pretty foggy scene. I've been having a hard time getting my style looser and I think this reflects that :-\

Goran--> I do really like this piece. It looks so much like things I imagine in my head and portrays a style I've always imagined myself working in and would someday like to try. It didn't get my vote because, like Chaos said, it doesn't make me think of abandoned. Not just because it's shiny, but also the colors. The track remnants you added do help, but maybe if you added some patterned cloth or something to the piece it would've aided the abstraction. Oh, and I favorited this on your DA account :-)

tsujni--> I think this image really works, and you got my vote for it. As for the theme, this does look a little wartorn, but upon looking at ancient ruins (such as comparing your statue) it's plausible. Colors really work together, composition works great, and the style compliments the theme. I also think making something creepy while in bright lighting would be tricky and you pulled it off. I do think this could've used some kind of "commonly recognizable" amusement park element, even if it were in the way background. I realize many parks have actual buildings and many have mock towns that this reminds me of but it could still do a bit better job saying "this is a park not a town".

Lyconeous--> Looks like you put a good amount of work in this. At first I wasn't sure about the loop being in the center but I think compositionally this works as the symmetrical type. However, this looks a little flat. For example, the scale of the loops says it should be pretty far away (maybe 150 meters?) but I'm not really sure because it has just as much contrast and detail as the ticket booths. I think this thing would really pop if you were to mask out the booths and add a low-opacity layer of blended fog. After all, the clouds in the background sky (which looks great) are pretty low looking, so they should be there. Also, try some paper textures on the ground, boards and ticket booth cloth. You've got a nice foundation for them already set.

Xezor1324--> There's a lot of stuff that I like about this image. The clown is a really nice touch, and the rain makes it. But I think the rain is a little overpowering. Even though it's really visible in real life I think it distracts a bit-- maybe if you lowered its opacity. Also, try blurring/lightening the background (like behind the pond area) because rain tends to blur more than show drops. But as a whole great mood.

os2008--> Hey, welcome to CA. What an interesting piece! The first thing that comes to mind are the colors. I've hardly seen these together in such a way. I think the foreground areas are especially gorgeous (if that's not an awkward word to describe art). But somehow it doesn't draw me in. I think that's becuause the foreground parts need some sharp and defining edges. I don't have as much a problem with the background's sketchiness but everything is kind of etherial. Anyway, love the lava concept- wouldn't mind seeing some of your other stuff.

Last edited by Zirngibism; July 20th, 2008 at 04:56 PM.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zirngibism For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    revenebo// Look out! Even the horses are shocked. Cool idea with the framing.
    I wonder what kind of monster is on the other side of that tentacle.
    One minor thing, the girls dress looks a little like a big shirt.

artiphats// The photo looks a little blurry, how large is the painting?
    Always nice to see some art using traditional media here.

Zirngibism// Looks like it's been there a while. Nice details and texture in the foreground.
    What is that round thing? I can't figure it out, maybe I'm seeing it wrong.

goran// ;O Very nice, looks like the inside of a giant pinball machine.
    And I can see a dragon/beast in the rollercoaster, or what looks like it.

tsujni// I like it, looks a little like hard pastels. Nice rough texture, colors and strong shadows.

Lyconeus// Creepy atmosphere, abandoned because of spiders? looks like there is some that didn't escape in time.
    The middle looks a little empty, maybe some texture or footmarks or something would strengthen the piece.

Xezor1324// They even abandoned the clown ;(, the scene has a very dramatic feeling to it.
    Nicely done.

os2008// Great painting, I like the light and values in it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Xezor1324: I spend probably the most time looking at yours. It certainly caught my attention. It has this sad feel to it - which an abandoned amusement park should usually do. Good job!

tsujni: I feel yours could have been taken to a whole other level with just a few hours of more work. Right now I feel there is just not enough information there. Would have been nice to see some crisp detail. Something concrete.

revenebo: If the rest of the painting was as strong as the left third of your piece, with those cool wonky merry-go-round creatures - this would have been my favourite!

os2008: Solid. You win.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon4lunch For This Useful Post:

revenebo is offline orchitect and designerd
    Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love to see EoW so crowded.

Zirngibism The park looks active because it has been just abandoned (maybe that tentacled thing made people flee and the child was left behind...). Being a painted over sketch the border you see is the toned paper I sketched on.
    Quote: "Is that girl tribute to an illustration of a girl releasing balloons over some post-Apocalypse scene?" Uh?! What??
    About your piece: a bit abstract but lighting and tones rock.

dragon4lunch well... I agree. That's because I thought less and painted more on that good third. When I start thinking too much over what I'm doing the result is poor...

flashrabbit Thank you! The tentacled thing must be horrible, it made people in the park flee...

artiphats Thank you!

os2008 So gooood... Looks like an amusement park in hell.

Last edited by revenebo; July 22nd, 2008 at 09:53 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    revenebo:
    This has a very fun mood. It's simple and clean and is presented well. I like the borders. A problem I can see is that it's a bit "cute" for an abandoned amusement park. It is easy to tell why it's abandoned thought

flashrabbit:
    I like the spookiness but it feels empty. The meteors in the background are interesting, but I'm not sure if they fit because I don't see anything that's destroyed.

artiphats:
    It's great to see a different medium being used besides digital. I like the contrast between the redish orange and blues. Very fun piece!

Lyconeus:
    The perspective looks way off. The roller-coaster look like it is a miniature version. Other than that I like your smooth painting style.

Sorry I don't have time to comment on everyone’s. This round was lots of fun and everyone did great!

I voted for os2008 because it’s obvious why the park is abandoned and it reads as an amusement park. I like the style and I think the use of color is great in this image.

Thanks for everyone who critiqued my submission! I appreciate it.

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is fantastic! New round is up
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...06#post1846806

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whew nice round, sorry I couldn't finish, I got called to a new job last week and have been working my tail off...I voted for Goran because I really like the height to the piece although i also love os2008's approach...

sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It was close between Goran and Xezor, but Goran won out with the twisted, nearly creature-like feel of the broken rides

64% of all percentages are made up on the spot.

My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...06#post1686206

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tsujni: Your Mad skills are massive. Every piece is better and more engaging than the last. Props, Bro.

Art is a Weapon
    DESIGN WITH CAUTION !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Munky View Post
    tsujni: Your Mad skills are massive. Every piece is better and more engaging than the last. Props, Bro.
    Lucky, Thank you, it means alot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    voted for zirngibism. Amazing comp, colour and lighting...great atmosphere, and very abandoned...something i dont think many others actually accomplished. great stuff all tho

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, another round that's really tough to vote for... Here are some quick comments before bed on my favorite entries:

Zirngibism: great atmosphere. I love the color theme because it fits the abandoned and futuristic to the glove.

goran
    Very moody piece with beautiful visual rhythms. The twisted metal forming monstrous shapes simply looks awesome.

tsujni
    : Your paintings always seem to have surreal stories to tell. I don't quite understand what's happening, but I'm drawn in by the painting wanting to find out.

os2008: there are a lot of beautiful shapes and colors in your painting, and the composition is spot-on. The ferris wheel might be a bit too straight and perfect, but that's just a personal preference. I really love how you handled the foreground and background.

My vote goes to flashrabbit - I can't help loving the skeletal merry-go-around. The atmosphere is also quite nicely mysterious and spooky.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.