Bathing in moonlight

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Thanked 5,525 Times in 3,719 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Bathing in moonlight

I did a sketch on Monday of a pose that I really liked and thought it could be developed. So I’m going all classical and trying to portray Venus bathing in moonlight. Still have to think about the background.

Name:  venus.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  1.4 KB

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well considering moonlights falling on her face I'd opt for a twilight feel, she could be in a chateau overlooking the french hills.

I think the painting should be a little bluer than it is, colour balance is the easist way about it. And the facial porportions look wierd in the painting wheras they are quiet neat in the drawing, the nose and chin seem to be enlongated.

Like to see this one to the end.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was thinking of a more natural background without much detail except for the odd twig.

The flesh needs to be worked as I want it almost shimmering. Yes, the nose isn’t quite right and I’m going to change it slightly. I’m not going for conventual beauty, but more of an ideal of a mood.

Take a Greco Roman relief, add a Dalton twist and sprinkle with moon dust – not easy to put into words. I know what I want, but whether I can pull it off is another matter. I shall do my best.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I said over in my SB that I wasnít going to work on this until Iíd sorted some basics out in my other drawings, but I lied, couldnít stop myself from doing more. Iíve started getting the tones down on her face. Can see tons wrong Ė the shadow round her chin, the angle of highlight on her cheekbone is a bit off, and the line from top lip to nose needs to be moved. The neck isnít finished by a long chalk, and the shadow under her chin needs work.

Please tell me if Iíve missed any other errors.

Name:  venus 26-7a.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  17.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Generally I love your work in its beauty in simplicity, I think the colours in this are somewhat confusing.

There seems to be a lot of green sneaking in and it has distorted the aesthetics somehow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your sketch is fantastic, but I think it lost some of it's proportion in the translation so I overlayed the two so you might see how the head and upper torso got large, while your legs and arms stayed the same. The ear is a bit high, the neck too long and the hair is in danger of becoming helmet-like (though I'm sure you're going to add some hairs to the forehead once the skin is worked out ). Make sure you don't put the hair growing directly out from her ear as there's normally a patch of skin there.

Colorwise you have two ways to go. You could do true moonlight colors...yellow, purples, greens...or you could take a look at the classical work you say you'd like to mimic. In the neoclassical stuff, skintones aren't really effected by the light and tend to stay pinkish.

When you do pick a color palette to go with, try to pull up some referrence and plot out color based on it. If you get too technical with the muscles then your lovely Venus will be in danger of losing her soft neoclassical beauty.

Name:  venus.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  61.5 KB
    (Warning: My color abilities suck ass...so take my paintover with a grain of salt until someone more knowledge comes along. )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dark Star, youíre right. Iíve over complicated the tones, but the yellow was just to give me something more vibrant to work on. You should have seen some of the other colours I used.

Thank Mirana, I hadnít noticed that her head was too big and the thing with the ear. Iím not too bothered with colour at moment, just trying to get my tonal values right before starting on the final version. I messed about with loads of different under colours, but she will be pink eventually. Yes, I will soften the muscles, but I want her neck taut as I want her to be almost stretching to breathe in the air. The model was a dancer and very lithe and toned and Iím going to have to ignore that her stomach was convex showing her ribcage line.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didnít have much time today to change things, but Iíve made a start. The headís smaller and the ear is in roughly the right place (it will be partially covered by hair strands). Anything else needing correction before I start to colour? I am going to soften the brow arch a bit, also donít mind that her expression seems one of pain Ė that will change.

Name:  venus 27-7.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  14.7 KB

Just for a bit of fun, I put the two together.

Name:  breathe.gif
Views: 274
Size:  121.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The neck is still a bit long (and maybe wide?) to me. Her left leg looks smaller than the right and the arm looks really thin. Those things will be easy to bulk up as you color, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by nike_shoes View Post
    What are the next marvel movies that are going to come out soon
    Intelligent critique of this picture. It's like the old-school Roger Ebert of the art critic world.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL ninjacat!! It's a spammer. He's posted the same thing in a bunch of forums.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All except the hair it seems to look like a negative space drawing. Seems to be too little contrast to make it go forward.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Specific question. Is her left breast in the correct position? Too high or too low. And ‘hee’ on the spam critique

I’ve been messing about with various brushes etc, but am still working on it even if I don’t post every disaster. So darkstar the contrast will come after I’ve nailed other bits.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Specific question. Is her left breast in the correct position? Too high or too low. And Ďheeí on the spam critique

Name:  venus 10-8-08.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  8.9 KB

Iíve been messing about with various brushes etc, but am still working on it even if I donít post every disaster. So darkstar the contrast will come after Iíve nailed other bits.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    is it her left your talking about or ours?

Well her right breast is just right but her left one seems to be a little, deflated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not getting any real understanding of anatomy here. She does have the necessary equipment to be read as human, but it all looks awkward. Check out especially her shoulder region-- what's going on there? You should probably find the collar bone to better help you position her neck entirely, but when you go to put one in you're going to notice that her shoulder is is too low, or that her breasts are too high or something. The under structure is important and you're not showing a proper understanding of that--- stick closely to a reference and draw the three dimensional forms to figure out where things go. Do some studies.... no- really. It's not an overused comment.

Good luck and keep us posted with your progress. That might have come off as harsh, but sometimes that's what happens when you type critiques- didn't intend to discourage you.

"She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not discouraged. Haven’t posted in a bit because I’m working on most of the points already raised. I’m my own worst critic at times. Yep, the left one is deflated, but I’ve already been pumping it up. I’ll update when I have something I think has moved along at least a little bit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been a bit busy laying a floor this week and havenít had the time to really work on this, but I did try to find some reference with regard to the shoulder. Couldnít get an exact match, but what I did find is that the back of her neck is too thick. The model is a dancer and was very taut. I also need to stretch the arms a bit more to give that feeling of tautness.

Name:  venus shoulder.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  24.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nearly finished the floor. This morning, while trying to get the energy to do the ironing, I started messing about with skin tones to get the effect I want. The eyebrow is wrong and the area above and to the side of her mouth. The nose needs to be a bit bigger and I've got to clear up the messy lines.

Name:  venus head 31-08a.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  29.9 KB

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.