Hey there! WIP.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Hey there! WIP.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arrow Hey there! WIP.

Hey there. I think I posted here once or twice here a while ago, but never got around to getting involved. So after some lurking, I decided to join this site to better my artistic skills and find a way to express myself by digipainting with a tablet.

Until now, my main hobby has been pixel art, which is low resolution art often used for mobile games, text-based browser games and the such. I'd love to get started with digipainting, because I see a much brighter future for that that pixel art.

So after not too much blabbering, here's my first real attempt at digipainting a scene from scratch. This is what happened after 15-so minutes of doodling. In a way, I like the direction i'm going into. I'm aware that the design is poor and unoriginal. I've got a weakness in finding strong designs from the start, but that's also something I'd like to improve on during my stay here.

As you can see, it's a very work-in-progress and I had to stop in half-thought because I need to get some sleep as well. Please, any crits are welcome, no matter how harsh. Just don't tell me to start again because I hate starting from another white canvas.

I'm experimenting with brushes and ways to use them. What I'm doing so far is using natural, square-like brushes at 50% flow and changing opacity every few seconds with my keyboard numbers. Is there another way that'd be more effective? I'd love to just grab a color and go crazy with it but it doesn't seem to work when I try (it does a little more when I'm painting, so I know there's a way..)

Thank you for your time, again, comments & (harsh) criticism welcome!

Older Versions:
    http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/k...ddo2/crash.jpg
    http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/k...do2/crash2.jpg

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ceddo; July 17th, 2008 at 04:43 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 730 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa! On this old tube monitor, that's very nearly a solid black mass. I can make out a bit of green, but that's about it.

If you don't like starting from white, you can start from any color, you know...

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh, I see that it is quite dark in fact I haven't gotten down to highlighting yet; until now I was focusing on getting the volumes of the cliffs right. I'm planning on lighting the whole thing in blue/violets, and there will be clouds, perhaps some lightning.

I know I can start from any color I just don't like starting stuff. I prefer having the shapes already done, after that it gets easier and easier IMO.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

I can imagine a hole in the cliffs on the right

6. The Following User Says Thank You to chemodeath For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update!