Items up for Critique

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Items up for Critique

Ok I'm moving my orc picture to a WIP thread (probably should have posted it there first anyway) but here is a piece that is ready for the chopping block. So hack away let me know what you think.

I've recently gotten into playing a RPG call Dark Heresy which is based in the Warhammer 40k setting. I have found the game setting to be a great source of inspiration. This is a picture of a Tech-priest that I did for the game I'm playing in. It's also actually my first attempt at digitally coloring my work. I don't have a tablet at the moment and have been working with my mouse so far. Thanks for taking a look. I hope you like it.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Adam Schumpert; July 17th, 2008 at 04:58 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm no one to give some critic but I think you shouldn't paint the metal pieces or the boots or whatever just with one color.

The metal should have some white areas and other areas should be very dark. It would be nice if it reflected some green of the creature.

The creature itself is interesting but you should give it some more colour and especialy more contrast.

Anyway, speaking is easy XD, I wish I could make something like that.

keep on and sorry about the bad english

By the way, would you give some advice? http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=122927

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First thanks for the feedback A Tua Me its much appreciated.

As far as the picture goes... the only parts of this picture that I've really worked on so far are the orc's skin and the severed head. Everything else the armor, his teeth, and the equipment he is carrying are all just flat colors I put in so that it would be easier to go back and select those areas later and so I would have some sort of base color to work on. I've tried working on some of the armor but keep getting results that just don't look right. So for now I've gone back to the base flat color. Any info anyone can give me on creating good metal textures would be a big help, and I will keep in mind to use highlights and the reflective color of the orcs skin tone, thanks A Tua Me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well... I got a chance to do a little more with his shoulderplate. I'm still not sure that I'm satisfied with it but I think its better to keep working at it rather than just let it sit there. So what do you all think?

Last edited by Adam Schumpert; July 17th, 2008 at 02:57 PM. Reason: I can't spell

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is another picture based off off Warhammer 40K/Dark Heresy. The figure in the picture was drawn then scanned. I made the background in Photoshop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Always good to see WH 40K guys, a bigger source of sweet inspiration there is not. These guys are looking a tad bit cartoony, but that could just be your style, comic book like. The biggest tip I could give you would be to make these guys a lot darker, grittier. Most of them have seen hell, and look accordingly. Now lets see a space marine!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the Feedback Duman.

Two things: (these are based on Duman's coments but anyone who has some insight please feel free to contribute )

1) Would you say that it is the colors I use, the style of my coloring (the brightness/small size of the color palette/brushs used/textures/etc...), or the fact that I'm coloring drawings instead of painting on top of my pencils that makes them look more cartoony?

(Here are the pencils for the pics I posted just so you can see what they looked like before colors.)

2) Warhammer 40K is a dark and gritty setting and I would really like to push myself to reach the dark gothic level of decay and despair that the setting goes for. Any suggestions on increasing the grit in my pics?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Adam Schumpert; July 18th, 2008 at 02:57 PM. Reason: To make my post easier to comprehend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They all are cool pics, but I would try to stay away from round shapes. The machine arms of the tech priest is a example. Yours look a little rounded, they need to be basic shapes with lots of nutz, bolts and signs on them. The inquisitor has a nice dark feel to him, but I feel his head is a little to big. The ork is spot on, but he needs a gun and some ammo chains. If you have played gears of war, that is the feeling you should try to bring out, make everything rusty, worn, scratched, and dirty. Overall, just try to make them literaly darker, but the trick is to make sure you dont lose any detail in the process.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Finished orc

Ok so here is the orc again. What do you all think?

Hey hummi! I tink you forgot something!

Last edited by Adam Schumpert; July 19th, 2008 at 12:48 AM. Reason: uploaded wrong version of the picture

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i have to say i really love that orc pick. a good way to make it seem more gritty and dark would be to add some blood splatter. nothing to unrealistic though. when people start drawing charecters dripping in blood it just seems gross not gritty. a dark backround would also help set the mood of despair. when a place is empty and dark people lose any sense of cartoonism

Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your stuff could really benefit from a strong light source. Particularly Mister Machine Hands there...it's so complicated, my eye doesn't know where to light. Of course it's possible to paint form and ignore light, but then you have to use other gimmicks to draw the viewer's attention where you want it to go.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know, thats actually a really good severed head, and im glad you fleshed out his armor glyphs. The only think I think he needs now is a gun and a simple, relatively dark and orky background.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First off, thanks for the great crits.
    PiggyWiggy - I agree some blood splatter might be called for. I've run into the problem before with adding too much. Which is why I didn't really add any in this pic, but I do think it would benefit from just the right amount.

Stoat - You know, I didn't really think about that when I was coloring my Techpriest, but now that you point it out it would probably help to have a strong light source. Pushing my lighting is something that I really should work on.

Duman - Thanks I was particularly proud of my severed head in this pic. As far as guns and such when I drew this picture I actually started it as a Warhammer Fantasy picture. Now afterwards I did go back and modify the pencils adding in a gun and some grenades. I'll see what I can do about adding those parts in.

Thank you all I really appreciate the feedback. Thanks again for the suggestions, I'll get right on it.

Last edited by Adam Schumpert; July 19th, 2008 at 11:06 AM. Reason: I should really spell check before posting :P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To answer your question, I think the lack of contrast in your colors is making your images appear more cartoony. Cartoon images typically have the quality of one tonal colors. Your images also appear as if too much dodge and burn was used (hence the lighting looks a little metallic).

A good way (besides color and lighting) to create an imposing mood, is typically using shapes. Round shapes give a safer feeling as opposed to sharp/pointed/jagged ones.

Here as some great images to study. They have good lighting and color play (not to mention that they also have that sinister atmosphere you're looking for). Both are done by Jason Manley.

Good luck~ =)

Last edited by Eerin; July 19th, 2008 at 03:55 PM.
    SSG Buddies
    Eerin | Hapun | Eromenos

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Both those pics have great feeling and atmosphere, but I think your going for a crisper image. So try to use similar colors, and do you see how helpful backgrounds can be, even when they are simple? I totally agree on the round shapes compared to hard shapes point.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From a sketch standpoint, I would also begin to explore different lineweights. Again, typically this is a "sketching" fundamental, but I've it helps alot to have varying lineweights even when you are into the painting stages. For starters, I would always have my outline lineweight the heaviest, especially on sides opposite of the light source. Also, within the drawing, lineweight can help you distinguish where things are in space to one another. Essentially, you are using lineweight to develop a heiarchy within your work.

You have a lot of good elements in your sketch work that could really be made to pop if you futzed around with your lineweight. I like what I'm seeing though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much for the insight and advice. You all have given me plenty to work on.

For now I've added a simple background and the modern weaponry to my ork picture.
    Thanks again for the help.

Last edited by Adam Schumpert; July 19th, 2008 at 07:08 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That background did help, and so did the extra blood. Very sexy ork, weird. Final crit from me on this piece would be to maybe yellow the teeth, flesh out the tongue, and maybe make the ork a darker shade of green (its easier than repainting) Because the biggest, meanest orks are told to be a very dark green, and you have drawn a very mean ork. Just ask his friend in his hand.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great picture, it has a lot of potential, though the shadows need work, right now youve only done what im calling shape defining shadows ( im sure thers a better word for it). What I mean is you have defined the shape of the object, it does look 3D dimential, which is good. BUT there are no real shadows, no cast shadows,
    one thing that really ad realism to a piece are the shadows made by the character and hes clothing and stuff, casted on him/herself.

I hope its okay if i do a paint over to show what I mean. these shadows also help creating depth, so its more clear what is in front of what.
    I also tilted him some what to the right, he was falling over.

Last edited by Lotet; July 20th, 2008 at 06:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lotet- Thank you very much for the crit and the paint over; it helped a lot.

I've worked on the lighting and changed the ork's skin tone slightly, but I'm not sure whether I like the lighter skin tone or the darker one better. What do you all think?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the darker is better, though i think you should highlight it with the more yellowish green, so its not one color in the skin through the whole body.

and btw, look at how I did the axe, its very importent to define the edges when you want sometihng to look hard and sharp. your axe is kinda rounded of, it dosnt looks like its made out of any hard material.

and dont forget the shading on the teeth.
    good job and great improvement!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love the orc
    i think if u push it even further add more detail and texture it will look even better. But also the light source seems to be coming from left to right, however, several highlights such as on his forehead suggest otherwise. So there is a little bit of confusion

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ohhhh, he is looking good, those shadows really helped push it. I agree with what Lotet said about the skin, but dont go overboard. Popping a few textures on him, and he would probably be about done! Then on to the other pics!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the continuing feedback everyone!

I'm sorry for this next question but I am pretty much a noob when it comes to photoshop. What exactly do you mean when you say "Popping a few textures on him"? Do you mean just adding more texture in my painting method like I would if I where using more traditional are medium? or is there a photoshop function to add textures?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok so I've moved the highlight on his head, corrected some of the shadows, added a touch more yellow into the lighter parts of his skin, and such.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He just keeps looking better! There is a texture option in photoshop, but can be difficult to use, it may not have the texture your looking for. I think it would be better if you just attempted to draw the textures on, add some grim, dirt, and make sure it has contrast to really pop it out.

Members who have read this thread: 1