Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Master Pug's Sketchbook

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Master Pug's Sketchbook

So, I was going to delete all of my posts on my OLD sketchbook and then continue to post...but the SB was 8 pages long so I decided it better to just start over.

For those of you who have never seen me before, I am the Master Pug. I am not a full time artist, but hope to be some day. I have a degree in Studio Arts from the University of Idaho; and my current artistic focus is learning this darned digital paint stuff. As I go, any help / comments are always welcome. I LOVE CC!!

This first one here was one of the later posts of my last SB, and the rest are just some of the "better" things I have done. Might as well start with a bang, eh?

Oh, since my scanner is down right now, most of the posts will be the digital stuff I am trying to do. I know not all of it is good or even close to what I can do with raw materials (pencil and pen and ink being my favies); but I am still learning. Anyway, as Mario always says, "Here we GOOOOOOOOoooo......!!!!"

*removing old items to consolidate also so they thumbnail updates - out with the old and in with the new!*

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by masterpug; December 13th, 2013 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Updating thumbnail
    "Oh my God who is flying this thing! ......... Right, that would be me." ~Wash

DeviantArt - Sketchbook - Concept Art.org Porfolio
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey hey, I like your interesting use of colors and imaginative character designs. There are some issues with anatomy, composition and the like, but the basics are there I think...nothing a bit of practice and persistance won't solve. Keep at it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zeroe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zeroe: Thanks! I am trying to do a bit more with it - more characters in a shot and such but haven't gotten it to work yet. Also need to work more with environments. Hopefully this next one (since it is recent) shows I have come along a bit. The composition isn't bad, but I wish I could have worked on a more detailed BG besides the abstract. Still, I think this will be one in a series, so it might not matter.

Here is the newest. If you read the above you know that this may become one in a series (the whole series being 5). This one is titled simply "The Bitch". I am afraid I can't get any more detailed on this character other than the title. 'Fraid that would give away too much.

Anywho, got scanner up which is why I could do this piece at all. I am SOOO glad I did. Hopefully this means more work, which means more posts, which leads to more people looking at the posts, and more recognition. As they say in art:
    Step 1 : Make Art
    Step 2 : ...
    Step 3 : Profit
    *Edited for same reason as previous post - now no nudity, welcome back kiddies!*

Last edited by masterpug; August 29th, 2009 at 09:56 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More sketches. Actually did these BEFORE the one above, but didn't get around to getting them scanned until today. I am noticing that the Thread is not showing the most recent as a thumb in the Sketchbooks section. Not sure why. If anyone knows how to fix this, I would be greatfull. I'd like the newest post to show.
    Name:  Sakura.JPG
Views: 1814
Size:  20.1 KB Name:  Sharder.JPG
Views: 1809
Size:  30.4 KB

Name:  Anulus.JPG
Views: 1808
Size:  37.7 KB

Name:  sword.JPG
Views: 1806
Size:  52.0 KB

Name:  LittleMac.JPG
Views: 1812
Size:  53.2 KB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to masterpug For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "DIVE DIVE! FIRE ALL GUNS IN ALL DIRECTIONS!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rig4red: Haven't heard from you in a while. Glad to see you joined up if only to be enigmatic.

Here is the newest I have. All sketches, nothing really finished. Hopefully that will change when I take the most complete of them below to the "final stage". I do realize that the Death Knight (obviously I am feeling in a Blizzard mood as you can tell from the post) is a bit off balance in the large pic, but I am not sure if I am going to fix it or not. I probably should, but it might be something I just acknowledge and let slide. As you can also tell, I did adjust his armor a bit from the previous sketches.

Name:  wowheads.JPG
Views: 1757
Size:  75.9 KB

Name:  bubonic2.JPG
Views: 1739
Size:  31.3 KB

Name:  bubonic.JPG
Views: 1738
Size:  42.8 KB

Name:  bubonic3.JPG
Views: 1741
Size:  83.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, I had to shrink this sucker down a lot to get it to upload. Hopefully you can all see where I am going with it. Not sure if I want to do comic style coloring or try painted. As we have seen, my paint needs work. Maybe comic first and then paint over it later and have both. Hmmm....
    *more finished version of this in later posts - and like the other posts, taking a much more handled way of doing attachments

Last edited by masterpug; August 29th, 2009 at 09:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fresh off the old brain grill. Still a WIP, and by no means final. The type was really because I wanted something that LOOKED interesting even if it doesn't make it to the final stage.
    Name:  bubonicghoulbw.jpg
Views: 1700
Size:  432.3 KB

Last edited by masterpug; August 29th, 2009 at 10:00 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Latest and greatest!

Latest update on this pic. Still working on it, but closer to done than it was!
    Name:  bubonicghoulweb.jpg
Views: 1690
Size:  526.9 KB

Last edited by masterpug; August 29th, 2009 at 10:01 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for stopping by my sketchbook, and leaving a comment.
    I really like your sketchbook, the character designs are really cool, and I like the amount of detail expressed with each character drawing.
    Keep it up friend.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Eh up masterpug! thanks for your comment and poppin by...took me a while to get round to browsing again and I'm really liking your stuff. The deathknight especially, I have problems keeping my colours flat (I mean tonally) and tend to overwork and have to pull it back, do you use masks?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trancelucent over the text thing looks cluttered. I think it will look better making it look like a background, like a map or stained paper or something.

Perhaps not making them pitch black could make them appear behind the character or some overlap tricks. or perhaps just reducing the amount of text.

----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to George Abraham For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jeff Bartzis: Thanks for returning the favor. I will stop by your SB again here in not too long. I promise to keep on drawing, even if my posts are infrequent.

Angel Intheuk: I know what you mean about the color. That is one of my few semi-successful works with color (as you can probably tell most of my stuff is B&W). Thanks again for coming by, and many happy returns!

zaorr: I agree the text can be distracting. In truth, the piece isn't finished, but I don't have the persistence to work on it right now and have been drawn away to drawing other things. The idea is to have the text fade into a background (unreadable for the most part); so in the end it should not be a problem provided I can draw a background.

So, big post this time. There is some graphic violence, so the young may want to back off this one. Since I already have some nudity, I don't think it is anything out of line. Anywho, thanks for those of you who have stopped by since the last post. While I can't say I will be posting like this all the time, rest assured I do plan to continue with my art - wherever that takes me. ^_^
    Name:  Mask3.JPG
Views: 1600
Size:  55.3 KB
    Name:  tristan2.JPG
Views: 1656
Size:  46.0 KB
    Name:  tristan.JPG
Views: 1598
Size:  41.4 KB
    Name:  girl.JPG
Views: 1584
Size:  31.9 KB
    Name:  Mask2.JPG
Views: 1583
Size:  82.4 KB
    Name:  mortis3.JPG
Views: 1580
Size:  60.6 KB
    Name:  Mask1.JPG
Views: 1569
Size:  20.4 KB
    Name:  Sith.JPG
Views: 1579
Size:  32.0 KB
    Name:  mortis1.JPG
Views: 1558
Size:  29.9 KB
    Name:  Mask4.JPG
Views: 1566
Size:  40.7 KB
    Name:  mortis2.JPG
Views: 1564
Size:  205.2 KB

Last edited by masterpug; August 29th, 2009 at 10:03 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know it has been a while. I am trying to get the thumbnails to work so it shows the most recent work beside the SB name. Anyway, here he is. I give a big thanks to Jason Chan and Massive Black for posting the digital tutorials without which I would still be at a loss for working digitally. This one is all digital in Painter and took me about an hour (including cropping and converting); though the file isn't that big.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to see you keeping up the practice-will be interesting to see where you go with the digi's. One thing I think would be interesting is to do more facial sudies-some of your faces are a little flat. Not all, but you occationally fall into the "thin straight 2D nose" trap (it's a slippery trap to avoid-I know!). I've been sketching people on the tube/in the street a lot recently and it helps a lot, especially to notice just how varied faces are out there. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    daveneale: Thanks! I have been working on faces a bit more. Nothing to really show yet. Still working more on classic media than in photoshop, but I still dabble.

So, new stuff! Not a lot to post, but it is starting and I am warming up. Finally got that pesky scanner working again, so YAY! See you around the org!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really like a lot of these, those swords designs are cool, but this piece sticks out to me. The pose and the design is just crazy awesome man i would really like to see you take this further.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...7&d=1233088053
    ^dunno if that will work.

"The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

Dont trust anything i say! I'm a noob.
    My Noob Sketch Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    element1988: Thanks for the post. I know I don't get around here that often. Anyway, I was thinking of taking that one further. Lots of people tell me he looks too much like the Crow (movie) but I don't think every evil clown looks the same, do they? I might redeux this one but not sure yet. Most of my attempts to go back over old drawings fail - but I might give it a go.

To all you others, I swear I am still working! These pieces were mostly done for fun and to help out my Game Master with his D&D campaign. Hope you like! Maybe it will even earn my thread some stars.

Name:  broloffweb.jpg
Views: 1426
Size:  50.5 KB Name:  faelornweb.jpg
Views: 1425
Size:  56.1 KB Name:  grossendweb.jpg
Views: 1409
Size:  59.3 KB Name:  lysweb.jpg
Views: 1407
Size:  67.8 KB Name:  Saedaweb.jpg
Views: 1411
Size:  52.6 KB Name:  sarthisweb.jpg
Views: 1421
Size:  56.4 KB Name:  valentineweb.jpg
Views: 1421
Size:  57.2 KB

Name:  FaithWeb.jpg
Views: 1431
Size:  62.7 KB Name:  ArcticWindWeb.jpg
Views: 1401
Size:  91.2 KB Name:  SandWeb.jpg
Views: 1411
Size:  95.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Diggin those ink/pen-sketches! Love the cross-hatching

The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    witcrack, Bman, purb, Jeff
    kostas, danny

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    krel: If you liked that then you are going to LOVE this. I got back to doing some pen and I felt like I was possessed. Probably my favorite thing to do right now. I am amazed at how much life I am getting out of these recent ones, especially the bird-monk there. 005 Microns for the win!

Some recent pen-work I have been doing. No, not working professionally, yet; but I do want to keep working. I have a goal to work on something or draw something new every day and I have been working strong for the last 2 months without breaking stride. Between that and 45 hour work week, it can be a lot - but totally worth it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love your ink and lines. Looks like stuff out of roleplay manuals, right up my ally. Keep up the great work and creatures.

"Even a stopped clock, gets the right time twice a day."
    >>My Sketchbook<<
    >>My Homepage<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey your character designs are very enjoyable.

"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasum." Cliff Blezenski

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketchbook!.i can see you have some good concept character ideas and your line art is good.My tip is i think you should also try to draw life drawings or with ref image or study more on anatomy books or figure drawing books to make your character much more alive and better.(i like post 20 and 24 the bird and the colored works)by the way your coloring is looking good just keep pushing you are doing good.i want to see more.Take care always=))

My sketchbook.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...=203100&page=7

Awesome artist and friends

Nkristian

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    strangedawn - Thanks for stopping by! I really appreciate it! I actually took your advice and did some studies. I took 1 hr on each one. Obviously, could be better. I think you are definitely right and I need to do some more work at it. Build us some speed and confidence with the digital media.

Anywho, here is what I came up with. Did one in Photoshop and one in Corel from the same image. Photoshop is in the middle there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moar sketches! So, trying to do more digitals. Did some heads for you all. The 15M was just for that one head, not all of them. Not that good yet. The other "well" shaded head was about an hour playing around, but the result was okay I think - CC away!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Newest thing I did with Painter. Still on my old laptop (7 years old now and still trucking). Probably my most successful digital paint yet; but I realize there is still some work to be done. Originally I wanter her "hair" to be jellyfish tendrils but decided to try urchins instead. I think it works but might have been better the other way. Might go back later to mess with it a bit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New headshot! I tried doing some full body things but I hit a block and couldn't get my head around it so I went back to doing a head. I think it works pretty well. Obviously it has no background, but I may go in and add one at some point. Oh, and I know the eyes are funky - going to fix that tomorrow.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, thx for dropping by the sb judging by what you've posted so far-- your colors are improving heck of a lot hmm.. i'd say try studying from still life(s) and photos?

i dig the pencil work and the nice thick lines that give it the 'cartoony' feel is interesting i want to see more studies too!

Sketchbook
    Blog
    Drachen

Matt
    Jamie
    King
    Henri
    Lukas

available for commission/work
    email: mister.guiang@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    teapo: Thanks for dropping in! I promise I will do some studies. Have had that comment enough to know I need to do them. You will be happy to know for this next sketch, I did actually look at some images before doing it for reference. Seemed to help, almost like it worked or something.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to masterpug For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello!

Nice quality in your last post! Keep it up!

Good to hear you're up for studies, they will help tremendously. Try to form mental formulas of whatever you're studying, so you can gain full advantage of the effort for when you work from your imagination.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 61