Sketchbook: Master Pug's Sketchbook - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    teapo: Thanks for dropping in! I promise I will do some studies. Have had that comment enough to know I need to do them. You will be happy to know for this next sketch, I did actually look at some images before doing it for reference. Seemed to help, almost like it worked or something.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Oh my God who is flying this thing! ......... Right, that would be me." ~Wash

DeviantArt - Sketchbook - Concept Art.org Porfolio
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to masterpug For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello!

Nice quality in your last post! Keep it up!

Good to hear you're up for studies, they will help tremendously. Try to form mental formulas of whatever you're studying, so you can gain full advantage of the effort for when you work from your imagination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    them inks are amazing! and that last paint shows heaps of progress. keep it up.

“The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.” Albert Einstein
    CLICK ME!!! My "Baby Soft" NEW SKETCHBOOK
    MAYBE ME? My "Humble Beginnings"
    Facebook & Google+ Friends? Yeah you want to be friends
    Email: mail@jeremyswann.com
    Blog: www.jeremyswann.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kitfox: Thanks for dropping in! I promise I did the studies, just didn't post them. Mostly they were just mechanics stuff - anatomy moving shown with stick figures. I will prolly do some anatomy stuff at some point, just to get a better idea of muscle.

Jeremy Swan: Glad you took the time to drop in! This next one might not be as refined, but I wanted to do something that was more 'skin' than actual design. So, line work was a bit rougher since there are no real edges with skin (for the most part). Hope you like it. I wanted to do a few of these if, for no other reason, than to be able to do them over and over. After all, if I wanna get into game design, gotta walk the walk.

So, here's the latest. Character from Dungeon and Dragons campaign in early America. Oh, and yay for page 2!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1 hour of work - this is what I had. Taking it further but trying to keep track of how long it takes me to do something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fin! With color. Just an indication for design.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello again. Awesome progression you have been making. Im annoyed I haven't been getting emails when this thread updates. wtf is going on ca??
    anyways, keep on keeping on man. You're doing great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jeff Bartzis: A subscriber! Color me humbled. Thanks for dropping by! Went with something a bit more comic style this time. That's what happens when you watch lots of cartoons on Netfix.

These are still taking me longer than I would like, but I imagine that is just due to distraction. I keep trying to do something more landscape-ish; but nothing seems to be coming out. I will post one of my 'results' at some point so you all can give me some pointers. Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Random sketches. Two posts in one day, OMG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Me attempting an environment. Not imaginative, I know. Trying to get atmospheric down since I generally just do characters.

EDIT - didn't get completely discouraged. Just mostly from environments. >.> Jungle pic.

Last edited by masterpug; July 14th, 2011 at 06:06 AM. Reason: adding other image

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice use of lines and colour, im not very good with lines and accuracy- do you use a tablet? i have one myself but i can never get the lines as clean as your work seems to be - good work though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A Faux: Thanks for dropping in! Promise I will come by later and lay down a post in yours. Welcome to the org!

So, as you can all see I have been struggling with environments. With that and mind I decided to do something I love (lines) and do an environment with just them. This was the result. I may paint this later, but I am mostly worried about how it reads. The left feels sorta empty so I know I am going to have to do something about that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good to see you're stepping up a notch in your production levels
    As for landscapes - I suggest you start with landscape (instead of portrait mode) > that makes it read more easy from the get go. Just get a horizon in there, and start throwing in some vanishing point and off you go !
    Are you a D&D player by any chance?

"...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Harmageddon: Thanks for coming by! Yeah, working to get them so that I can have an actual portfolio. Goal is to have it done by December 31st. I think you are right about the landscapes. I am really trying to wrap by head around lighting and I never had a really solid perspective class. I took Arch 101 in school, enough to draft in simple 2 pt, but it does make my brain hurt sometimes. Just not used to drawing that way. And yes, I am a D&D player. Slade gave me away!

Here is just a quick 1hr work. Trying to get some more lighting ideas and definitions. Kinda broke it up into pieces. Should all be "right" but only the bottom really shows anything combined. Not too worried about the color palette. I need to build a custom one, or two, or a thousand....

Last edited by masterpug; July 16th, 2011 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Adding another

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not as happy with this as I was my last one. Oh, well. Keep trying, right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, first one in this post is a WIP that will probably never get finished. Dunno, looks too realistic and doesn't really have any style to it. Had an idea, didn't work out; but wanted to post my failures.

Second one is much more successful. Revisited an old character but decided not to me lazy with him. Think he came out alright. I might do some more of him since I don't have to think about the design so much and can just practice painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not taking it any further because I am really not liking it much. Need to do some more work with architecture.

Last edited by masterpug; July 22nd, 2011 at 06:21 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    today was not blessed by the muse

Thanks
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 777 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey pug, your lines are excellent - I especially enjoy the pencil drawings on the first page. For a crit, I think your main issue right now is value. Your pencil drawings look very nice, possibly because in that medium, you're limited to getting just a few shades of tone in a short period of time. In digital paintings, a lack of a full range of value that acts naturally within the space is much more obvious. In all of the images where you're struggling, the linework looks okay; it's the tonal gradients that are throwing you off. I think the best image on this page is the giant trees in post #45, but even in that image you're missing any noticeable reflected light bouncing off the water back onto the center tree. I would suggest doing more studies that focus on achieving a realistic sense of lighting, particularly in scenes. Find photos or take your own or build a model (digital or traditional - clay, paper machè, etc) to study from. And if you're working from photos or life, pay attention to how the light affects the scene; color and light are intricately linked. (Btw, here's a nice tutorial on light and color that you might find informative; it really helped me: http://www.itchy-animation.co.uk/light.htm )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fresh new sketchbook eh?

#30 nice troll design
    #32 my favorite!!

classic: you need to learn more from reality like everyone (photostudies)

all the best!

[46175]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dierat: Thank you SO much for dropping by. You are completely correct in that my values (switching to high pitched voice) SUUUUUCK! I am reading through that link and it has been really helpful. I didn't have time to read through it all tonight, but wanted to pump something out using what I did learn. Granted, I feel like I am still off, but it is way better than it used to be.

Studies! Top worked better than the bottom. working with bounce light and finding that skin is a pain because of the translucency. I will get there though. Gimme time. Finding it frustrating that my little laptop (which is some 5-6 years old) can't handle higher rez stuff. I am definitely going to have to upgrade in the near future to do anything better and not risk making a stroke and then waiting 3 minutes for the computer the catch up.

I will say that below I decided to not even think about design, proportion, or general 'correctness' and focus on light. Values are my enemy right now and I am going to force them into my way of thinking or die trying. I might drop back to some grayscale and remove color altogether tomorrow.

Last edited by masterpug; July 24th, 2011 at 04:27 AM. Reason: and forgot to post the actual paint. Good going me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stryke: Thanks for coming by! I decided to take everyone's advice and really tear down some studies. You all were right, I need to do my homework and stop avoiding it like an ignant mo fo.

I am not going to saw who the face one is of because it doesn't look much like them (too skiny and eyes are too large). But the real purpose of it was to get the values to read - and I think they do that. It is still going to be a bit of work before I can do that with reference, but I did have those sweet sweet moments when I wasn't looking back and forth and made some marks that stuck to the final. Oh, how glorious that feeling is!

The first is just light theory. I realize some it might not be 'right' but I wanted to see what I could recall from memory about light and do some positing. Just get it down, you know?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    studies

26. The Following User Says Thank You to masterpug For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool studies. I'd like to see more landscapes from you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CountBlackula: Truth be told, I dread landscapes. I just don't have much imagination for them at the moment (if I ever did). Still, I think it is really the only way I am going to get this value thing down. So rest easy knowing that I will definitely be tackling them.

I finally went with PS for this one. Values read okay. Composition is pretty ugh, but it will get there. Because if it doesn't get there, ima kill it with my pen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just recently got a nice advice for practicing:
    Before you can paint, you must learn to draw,
    and before you work in colour you must get your values right.

Correct lineart-->greyscale-->colour

I have to do some greyscale work in the coming time, too.
    I'm kinda scared of it. ^^

In my opinion, if you are just practicing on the grey values, leave out details like eyes and just use rough flat forms...or at least, thats what Ill try, because I dont really think that the eyes give much to the value work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shockowaffel: That is good advice! I was much better at this back when I was in art school. Stupidly of me, I took a break and all that work went to hell. That or it just didn't imprint the way I wanted it to. We did everything in traditional media which I tend to be more proficient at. Basically I am self-teaching digital to myself AND getting values down again. A bit of a trial, but I have a self-imposed deadline of having something I could use as a portfolio by December this year. Here is to hoping I make it! XD

Weekend for me so I got to do even MORE work. Oh boy! Not a study of a particular person. Started as a speed paint but then I took more time with it. I realize the eyes are wrong (one iris being noticibly larger than the other). But for something without reference, I am "reasonably" happy with it.

It has become very apparent that I need to use something besides this 6 year old computer for this. I can't use brushes over 30px without killing the poor thing. And anything over about 5000 pixels will grind if I do a quick stroke. Time to break down and invest. >.<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Same character - two version. How obvious is it that I liked one more than the other? Basically, studies were wearing me out and had to do something different.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lightsource is supposed to be behind and up from him a little. Not sure that the way I did the BG conveys that well at all, so it turned it a little mush. Another lesson learned.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 61