Here's a slight observation~
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Here's a slight observation~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink Here's a slight observation~

Alright, here's a thought, I was walking around a comic convention looking at a bunch of artists and their works, paying attention to style and design, This is more of agree or disagree question, it's just an opinion...

My friend see's my work and says, "dude all your girls look a like!" they basically are with slight differences...and he points out other artists big time or small time art companies and says "you gotta draw Sh*t like this...different man" *pointing at DC/Marvel Comic stuff etc....how I respond? "Dude man all there girls look a like too!" then I just got a thought, from life artists don't count, it applies more to comic artists.

"Most girl's drawn from their respective artist will look no different really from another because how the mindset of the artist is of what beauty(or any other specific thing) to them should look like when drawn..."
    hard to phrase it but that's my thought really...it don't matter what style you draw~

I suck at chatting but practice makes perfect ~ ^^...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fuck man your grammar is mind warpingly hard to read. Or maybe the beer hit harder than i thought...

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aesir For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well professionally made comics are filled with such similar looking women because only so many variations attract young males. Its intentional. A cliche used to sell books, grab attention, and draw interest.

A non-professional does it for different reasons. They learn how to draw one type of woman and its hard for them to mix it up because that one type is "safe" for them. Its easier to draw that same one than add new features. As stated, they have one idea of how all women should look so every woman they draw looks the same.

But trust me, theres no professional comic artist conspiracy made of people who can only draw one type of woman.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by aesir View Post
    fuck man your grammar is mind warpingly hard to read. Or maybe the beer hit harder than i thought...
    Nope, it's just the devianart syndrome.

^^ ~ ^_^ >_> ^^
    ^^^
    ^^
    etc, is, yes, fucking annoying.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Comic artists also do a ton of work in a fairly short amount of time. It's no surprise they'll use short cuts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    With anything drawn from imagination theres always the risk that you're repeating youself, especially with figures. We all have "pet" forms, lines, and shapes we default to and this applys doubly when drawing figures. With figures there are so many formulas and proportional diagrams that it's easy to get stuck on a generic male and female body. One has to make a concious effort to break free from those forms, and that's not always in the interest of a professionial comic artist to start mucking about in experimental territory in the middle of some kind of production.

Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cthogua For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

~

Hey, Max Challie, my "^^" was because finding the damn emote good enough to replace it wasn't there because I was lazy to look for it so deal with it ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Interceptor is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectKayCustom View Post
    "Most girl's drawn from their respective artist will look no different really from another because how the mindset of the artist is of what beauty(or any other specific thing) to them should look like when drawn..."
    That's not true. And I should know because I had/ have the same problem. It happens by not paying attention. Sure, if you're just going through the motion painting or drawing a girl's face, it will probably just come out looking like your ideal girl all the time. But if you stop to think of what the character needs, maybe a longer nose, more slanked eyes, maybe even wider hips, thinner eyebrows, you can give yourself a very different result. I mean, just look at the designs for snow white... the difference between her and Maleficent are day and night. And it's not always about 'beauty'. Not all characters need to be beautiful.. and you should learn to teach yourself there are different kinds of beauty anyways, if it's going to be hindering you so much.
    So don't go around creaing these little quotes as excuses why you're work is'nt up to snuff. If something's wrong, fix it.

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Interceptor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
    I mean, just look at the designs for snow white... the difference between her and Maleficent are day and night. And it's not always about 'beauty'.
    Between those two character's, yeah they look different but that's slightly a different senerio, judging by how I wrote the first post I wouldn't be able to phrase that example any good, now change that thought and put together every single princess character from Dis*ey, they all look perfectly the same! no serious difference and you can't tell me otherwise!

Don't go making it sound like I am complaining

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Most girl's drawn from their respective artist will look no different really from another because how the mindset of the artist is of what beauty(or any other specific thing) to them should look like when drawn..."[/I] hard to phrase it but that's my thought really...it don't matter what style you draw~
    That's just not true. A lot of artists are able to play with proportions and styles and mediums just fine.

Yes they develop a style after a while, but that doesn't mean they draw their characters alike all the time.

And comic artists should not be used as a generalization.
    Comic artist and cartoonist are by far the most monotonous artist you can find.

Last edited by Aurelyx; July 15th, 2008 at 02:07 PM.

Interceptor is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Between those two character's, yeah they look different but that's slightly a different senerio, judging by how I wrote the first post I wouldn't be able to phrase that example any good, now change that thought and put together every single princess character from Dis*ey, they all look perfectly the same! no serious difference and you can't tell me otherwise!

Don't go making it sound like I am complaining
    Jasmine, Cinderella.

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Interceptor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    put together every single princess character from Dis*ey, they all look perfectly the same! no serious difference
    Pocahontas to Ariel to Kida...? Besides, if you compare Disney heroines (or sidekicks, villainesses, non-Dis) in general you get an even bigger look at the spectrum...Esmeralda, Mulan, Lilo, Megara, Jane...etc.

Not really a display of the original topic, though. Different lead animators/art directors/art depts came up with the looks of these gals. I assume you're discussing an individual's repetitive style?

(I beg for at least semi-correct grammar...please...)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mirana + Interceptor - Guess I gotta take a lose with this one, but to me they all look a like, like Interceptor's "Jasmine, Cinderella" no to me they look alike to me...

but for grammar Mirana, I have no reason to correct it, since it's the internet am not impressing anybody~

Aurelyx - "comic artists should not be used as a generalization" I couldn't really think of a broader generalization, I would think cartoonists would be in the same category

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    but for grammar Mirana, I have no reason to correct it, since it's the internet am not impressing anybody~

Since it's the internet the way you present yourself through text is often the only way for people to know you or communicate, and thus MOST important. However, I wasn't looking for a impression of you...I was looking to figure out what the hell you were saying. I'm no grammar expert myself, but you mangle your sentences beyond comprehension. You DO want people to understand your points, right?

I wholeheartly disagree on your observation that all the Dis gals look a like. Maybe you should take another look at them. Might help you approach doing different facial types in your own girls, without going too far afield from your style.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirana For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Written language is a form of communication. The kind of art this site focuses on is also a form of communication. Since concept artists and illustrators are people who are concerned with communication, you will tend to find a close correspondence between verbal and artistic skill. Don't be lazy.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, I'd agree that you certainly aren't impressing anybody.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to emily g For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not to defend laziness or lack of visual exploration, let's also consider that you can make a brand out of similar-looking characters. Most of Miyazaki's female heroines are the same visual formula with different hairstyles (Sen/Chihiro has perhaps the greatest facial deviation I've seen in his characters that I can think of) and I swear Kiki and the sisters from Totoro have the same Dad... but does that weaken their character? In my eyes it just makes it easier to pick Miyazaki's stuff out of a crowd.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I checked out your PKstyles site and your CA thread that you have in your sig just to get an idea of what this person was talking about when they approached you.

From what I can see of your work you've improved a hella ton on figures, attempting various types of body types, but the faces on your females at least always tend to look the same. You've got the same eye to nose triangle, same mouth shape and lip size, and generally your sketch thread could believably come off as the progression of one character throughout the ages if you told me it was so. Your figures though have gotten brilliant! I'd have to agree with the crit you received and say that now that you've gotten a better grasp of the figure to move on to practicing the face.

I also agree about the grammar comment. Trust me, if you don't take THAT comment into account CA has grown a lot less tolerant over the past couple years and people won't be able to decipher what you're saying or listen to you to begin with, and then there's just no point in expecting people to reply or posting a thread anyways! The best way to go about things when people can't understand you on the internet is to apologize and try to say it again, not to give them a tough luck sort of answer!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Sponcer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mirana + Interceptor - Guess I gotta take a lose with this one, but to me they all look a like, like Interceptor's "Jasmine, Cinderella" no to me they look alike to me...

The difference between Jasmine and Cinderella is rather obvious, to say they look the same is to admit to design blindness. Cinderella has more realistic proportions, Jasmine is about 5.5 heads tall.
    Their faces are also quite different, Jasmine's face is kinda triangular, Cinderella's is more square. The size, shape, and placement of their features also differ. In a quick glance you can tell that Jasmine is not a tan white girl, and Cinderella is not a light skinned Middle Eastern chica.

People don't use correct grammer to impress, they use it to communicate.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.