Thanks

The Artist Formerly Known As the Artist Formerly Known as Prince

Hey everyone. I'm new to the forums, well, I've been viewing the sculpture forum for a while, but haven't had the courage yet to post any of my work. I have been sculpting for about a year now, but just recently have started to push myself to get better. I am very impressed with the quality of work posted here and hope that I can be as good one day.

This is my most recent finished sculpture. I'm a big Prince fan and thought that he would be an interesting character to sculpt. I took a frame right out of "Purple Rain" as reference. I know that his proportions are pretty bad in a lot of areas (I am finding getting proportions right to be very difficult) and obviously the anatomy is not very realistic. This is for the most part a cartoon version of Prince. But anyway, I do like how it came out for the most part, and I am interested in what you guys think. So, thanks for looking. I also have a blog at vertizonticalstudios.wordpress.com where you can see WIP pics and other things that I have done. I'm working on a frog demon sculpture right now that I may post here in a while.

Ok, the images are up now, sorry about that.

Last edited by drclare; July 17th, 2008 at 12:54 PM. Reason: fixed images

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Smile

This is pretty good - you have captured a likeness, which is always difficult, especially when translating from 2D to 3D.

I can offer you some immediate advice which may help you. You have sculpted the limbs as if they are like bendy spaghetti (a common thing with beginners) Think of how the limbs are made up - with long, straightish bones connected by joints. If you look at your own arms and legs, you will see that where they bend at a joint there is quite a defined angle, not an undefined bend. This is true even when the limb is covered with a lot of flesh. If you bear this in mind when you sculpt limbs, you will end up with a more convincing look. Hope this helps. I have been sculpting for almost 40 years!!

Thanks
    Thank you so much SuziMac! Yes the advice will help. I am working on another project right now and am doing a better job with the arms, trying to incorporate the muscles the way they actually fit on top of bones. I knew that the arms and legs of this piece could have used a lot of work, but for a caricature type of piece I don't mind the way they look too much.

I'm glad that you feel I've captured his likeness. A friend from work, who is also a big Prince fan, said the same thing. It really means a lot to me, so thank you again.