Concept/Main Website illustration WIP (updated-nudity)

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Concept/Main Website illustration WIP (updated-nudity)

I'm working on a Concept piece that will also work as double-duty as the main graphic for my future portfolio website. I started out traditionally in pencil, then took it to digital. I got a grasp of Painter's pencil & smudge tools after doing some fidgeting with the settings. I am still working on the costume design.

I am pretty sure that belt needs to be replaced. And I need to go look up naginata length to make sure I got it the right height.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ASVogel; March 22nd, 2009 at 12:23 AM. Reason: updated content that needs tagging
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is a solid drawing but the waist is as wide as the hips, which is not sexy. Adding some contrapposto to her pose would help in this regard also as well as changing her lower garment. The flap thing is very stiff and does not enhance her form at all.

I look forward to seeing the completion of this as well as your website.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ashtonw For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I shelved this for awhile, but eventually returned to the sketch. When finished with the initial figure, I'll be using it to work on different costumes. But initially, I thought it was more important to fix the figure itself first. And hey, everyone likes a nude around here.

With Ashtonw's crits in mind, I moved the figure into a more dynamic pose and did a ton of work fixing the anatomy and scale. Here the feet and hands are still roughed out, and some real shading is called for. Right now she's still in a flat color state. The face was redone to be more accurate to some earlier drawings I've done of this character, and the hair is not so anime as in the sketch. One note on the character: She's an action heroine, so the build isn't going to be sexpot supermodel.

Still more to do, but this looks like an improvement.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I reworked it, and things are coming along nicely methinks. Thank the stars for Marta Dahlig's articles in Imagine FX.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is progressing nicely, but before you go any further there's a few things to consider.
    Ashtonw gave you some good advice about the contrapposto. Her figure is very stiff, not flowing and graceful as it should be.

It also seems as if you have not considered how she carries her weight. In a relaxed standing pose, it is more comfortable - and thus natural - to lean on one leg.

She has slanted shoulders, but her hips are straight, which doesn't make sense. Her hips would likely be slanted in the opposite direction of her shoulders while the right leg (her left) would bend a little. Her other leg would be straight, because it is the leg that carries her weight. You may want to google contrapposto.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Benjaminba, thanks for the crit. I've adjusted the figure, and wrapped it up. New version can be found in the Critique Center. If you have a chance, I'd like to hear what you think.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.