A Subconscious Reflection?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: A Subconscious Reflection?

Cella is offline (Account no longer in use) Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A Subconscious Reflection?

Do you think that if you are not content with yourself subconsciously, it can effect and reflect in your artwork?

If you feel you are not content with you really are, do you think this mentality can reflect on your artwork?
    Now, keeping that in mind, do you think if these feelings of discontentment were to dissolve or disappear entirely, the artwork would also reflect this?

For example, if you are not happy with who you are as an individual, then you are not happy with what artwork you do. However, later (could be 6 months, a year, or two etc) you are finally content and happy with who you are, then you too will be happy with your artwork.

Disagree?
    Not sure?
    Agree?

So, what is your opinion on all of what has been said?

(FYI this is not regarding everyday troubles, this is to do with deeper issues within a person, consciously and subconsciously).

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agree.

agreed because a positive lifestyle and a bleak lifestyle can both be a major contributing factor to any artist.

using myself as an example, my highschool and tertiary years we're spent mainly being incredibly frustrated and introverted because when I started out I wasn't satisfied with what I did and didn't see it as being fit for showing/keeping, the work I did keep and show I still felt were really generic both in idea and execution, but I feel that was due to a large part of feeling inadequate about myself and having those constant doubts of not succeeding in anything outside of art, which had a direct impact every time I had the white canvas stare, most of the time I would not be able to push myself to get further than looking at a blank page, nowadays I often look back on the work I did and still think they were pretty bad, but I also think I could've done so much more to them, so now they're 'sleeve ideas' for later use/reworking .

this can also be directly related to the fact that throughout my highschool/tertiary years I was surrounded by people who would say the cardboard cutout response "Wow! that's cool! you must be talented!" while they mean well, it can get to your head when you're not educated about those subtle differences, hence, artistic ego, and the concept of hard work and self-discipline immediately flies right out the window at that point because you're talented, you don't need anything else, right? wrong, i feel this would also be a contributing factor to many budding artists that the 'talent' they are rewarded on directly affect how they treat their art, such as hours they put into practicing what they do to hours put into what they do on the spur from creativity.

one other thing I'm always curious about was the onset of the 'want' to do something creative (art/drawing/painting/writing/sculpture/music/any creative endeavor), sometimes it stems from seeing another artist at work and the results they get, other times it can also be a fascination (and sometimes, infatuation) with a certain subject, though I think one that is the most magnetizing comes from social hierarchies in any community (school for example), where a person develops a gap in their personality for some or other reason, lack of excitement? lack of romance? or lack of inclusion into social activities for various reasons? In other words; some artists are more attached to other subjects more than others because of their past social or non-social experiences and in a lot of instances are unwilling to give it up entirely in favor of other subjects, therefore they'll readily work with that particular subject more often when they create art. This is probably entirely coincidental and unfounded bullshit, but I see no reason not to look into it.

Last edited by worxe; July 14th, 2008 at 09:29 AM.

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I’ve caught myself inanely grinning when drawing, so the boot could be on the other foot. Since I’ve started drawing again I smile a lot more and started daydreaming loads. Even if I’m not feeling great, just making those first couple of marks grabs me and I forget about being crotchety. Art cheers me up and makes me a nicer person.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile i fully agree with u

yes certainly subconscious mind do reflects in our mind. i would like to recommend u a book "emotional intelligence by daniel goleman" its not an art book but extraordinary psychology book and will help u understand how our subconscious mind affects our lifes irrespctive of our profession, i bet this will help u a lot
    all the best

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.