Show & Tell :: Show us what you got! And tell us about it!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Show & Tell :: Show us what you got! And tell us about it!

Well, not that kind of show & tell, however if you really feel inclined ...

Seriously, what I had in mind was a simple distraction away from all the endless politicking in the Lounge to something a little more interesting - something that hasn't been hashed over 300 billion times in just as many threads...

Most of us have interesting objects that have a story attached to them in some manner - be it a hand-me-down from a grandparent or something that you found that holds some sort of personal significance for you.

I've two drastically different items that I've kept with me for many, many years, and I thought it would be fun to share them with you, and to see what others have of their own to share.

These are mine:
    Name:  skull.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  336.4 KB
    This is a dik-dik skull as near as we can tell - it can easily fit into the palm of your hand. And yes, it's real. My mother found it when she was a girl out in San Joaquin Valley near Bakersfield. For years we had fun explaining to people that Jack-O-Lopes really do exist

Name:  granade.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  368.6 KB
    This is a smoke grenade from the Viet Nam era. It was carried by my father, whom some of you know was a Navy Medic attached to a Marine Company while he was over there. The grenade rested with the rest of his gear on his back roughly over his left shoulder blade - about the location that his heart would be.

That hole in the grenade is from a bullet fired from a sniper. The bullet is still there, however the grenade primer has long since been removed. The shot was fired at my dad while his company was under fire and he was working on one of his guys who took a round. It in essence saved his life - doubly so since it didn't ignite - white phosphorous is not a happy thing that close. And, as an odd little twist to the story - if that grenade hadn't have been there, and my father killed, I wouldn't be writing this now.

Okay, your turn.

All the best,
    ~Oreg.

Last edited by S.C. Watson; July 14th, 2008 at 11:46 AM. Reason: seplling

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to S.C. Watson For This Useful Post:

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, that's amazing. Seriously.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff Oregano...I don't have much to show and tell really but here's a tantric equation featuring Siva Bhairav (center) and some symbology I'll explain - the pomegranite, symbol of life and pomegranite flowers stuffed in his mouth to ward off his anger, Sri Durga with the Grim Reaper as her consort, rechargeable batteries x3 for the enviromental concerns and also the apple from the garden - willfully eaten....

oh and there is the goddess kali's red eye glowing, in the distance, there...

sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Izi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet stuff.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.