Is an artist ever satisfied with his own work?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Is an artist ever satisfied with his own work?

Hey guys i have been drawing for a while now and had some steps were i thought of myself i had improved when i looked back at earlier work.

I never have the feeling when i draw or paint something that it is good enough (well i shouldn't be having that feeling anyway) or i would be painting something and think this is heading the right way, take a break,come back and think "What the f*ck was i doing" .

But it got me wondering...
    Are the better artists among us ever satisfied with what they made or will you always feel like you could do much better?

Just a question out of curiosity

PORTFOLIO
    My Sketchbook
    Leslie Van den Broeck
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,200 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following

4. The Following User Says Thank You to davi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenslayer View Post
    Are the better artists among us ever satisfied with what they made or will you always feel like you could do much better?
    Being satisfied and felling like you can do better are not mutually exclusive.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol nice and short answer ^^

So basically when you would do a personal work and spend your entire life working on it, trying to get it perfect so you would love it yourself, you couldn't because you always raise your standards depending on your current skills?

EDIT:
    Elwell: yeah maybe satisfied is the wrong word for this, i mean looking at your work and thinking you really nailed it and couldn't get it any better.

PORTFOLIO
    My Sketchbook
    Leslie Van den Broeck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It depends on the definition. Yeah, I"ve felt satisfied with art.

Try this: Friends + A whiteboard + a lot of free time = A whole shitload of fun.

What does that have to with this? well, the art only lasts a few seconds. And it's basically an art charade. Lol. But how does it satisfy?
    Does it satisfy in accomplishment, in the execution and the technique?
    Well for me, that little session at the end of the school year was some of the fucking best times a person could have. And because some of my art-although fast, crude, ridiculous, and fucked up -had as all laughing, and inspired them to draw their own ridiculous drawings, I am satisfied.

Probably not the satisfy you were going for, but It's the highest sort of satisfaction I've gotten out of my art. :/

Lol, It sucks that I'm asian. I can't help it if I look like a million other people.

My Sketchbook: Critics and Comments would be AWESOME.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=69016

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice example , indeed not what i meant but i like to hear that no-pressure art can lead to satisfaction as well on another level

I also know its a vague question because the definition of something being perfect could be a single line or a canvas with a million strokes on it.
    Depends on what your goal is in art ofcourse.

PORTFOLIO
    My Sketchbook
    Leslie Van den Broeck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Every artist can still improve (even elwell). The motion of creating and solving problems as you go is what makes this an ever evolving process. There is no limit to what you can achieve, nor is there a limit to your ability. Every piece you make, will be better then the last, regardless how good you are. So, if satisfaction is being used as "I finally made it" then no, you will never be satisfied.

My work: [link]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some artists are satisfied. It depends on their priorities. Things change in life, so do people and at some point, art may not be the most important thing in their worlds anymore. Then it might be a way to get money rather than a passion. In that case, they prolly are satisfied.

But some artists take a different approach and still want to develop and create things that are bigger, better and way more awesome in their vision then their own previous works. In that case, they might never be pleased, as it's the constant motivator for creation and expanding boundaries. Not everyone likes it though if an artist is never pleased. If you develop a certain style that appeals to a big market, people will have a certain expectation. That might not always be a good thing, if you'd like to change works and specialize in the less popular/identifiable passion, cos it might sell less.

Usually it's a middleground between satisfaction and hate, you're only human. Every one will have to find his/her own pace and identity artwise, simply cos that's how you keep having fun. Does it really matter if the artist is satisfied? It's not a goal on it's own and whether it's playing guitar, making legostatues or doing art... it's a personal issue that doesn't have a real answer. If something is worth it, you will have to make a big effort to get it; else there is no point in doing anything at all! Doing art helps expanding your knowledge, opens you to new influences and learns you certain disciplines. It's up to you how far and how long you wanna explore this.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Every artist can still improve (even elwell).
    Especially.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 5,582 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Everything I do sucks, but the next one will be better...until I start one after that...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm never satisfied with my drawings. Though I know that what I draw is a reflection of myself (not the obvious self), and I do not like what I see on paper.

Keeping that in mind, maybe you can follow my drift in why I am not content with whatever I do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In a word..No

My Website

My Blog

My Facebook

Currently for hire as freelancer!]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sometimes it's time to be happy with your current project so that you can put it down and move on to the next project. Sometimes you have to make the decision to be content with what you have done.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm mostly completely satisfied with every work i produce and enjoy admiring them often. really!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've done a handful of drawings/paintings that really satisfied me when I finished them, very proud of my accomplishment. After a week, I start seeing all the flaws and thinking 'how could I be so proud of this one?? what the hell was I thinking about?'. I see those as little landmarks of improvement, and they are really my goal while I learn. When I nail one of those it means I have really learned since the last one, each new one is one of the happiest moments in my life, lol.

It's dangerous to feel too good or too bad about your art, because it makes you quit practising, wether because you think are good enough or because you think you are too bad to be making art. Middle is always the place to be

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm often quite pleased with the little things and dissatisfied with the big ones. I don't mean size, I mean ambitiousness.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's not the person, it's the art, and their own correlation to their creation. If someone struts around saying their art is perfect, like, say, anyone from deviantart ever, they're obviously lying to either cover up their own weaknesses, or are quite insane, really. If you think you did the best job you could do, then be satisfied with your art, and make sure to do even better next time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tnx for the comments guys
    I think it finally comes down to that nothing is perfect but you next work will always be better then the previous one if you are critical about you own work

Sonnemelzen: yeah i hate people that have that attitude while there most of the time copying anime art or so that isn't even done that good.

PORTFOLIO
    My Sketchbook
    Leslie Van den Broeck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm -- I'm more likely to be satisfied the less effort and time invested. I can be happy with a 1-minute sketch, but I'll never be satisfied with a 25+ hour painting. The more time I invest the greater the expectations, I guess.

Of course, any satisfaction is fleeting as fresh eyes see only flaws.

Much like gamblers living for the elation of the rare big jackpot, I think artists keep working for that elusive moment they can stand back from their own work and say "that's good".

~R

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by rpace View Post
    Hmm -- I'm more likely to be satisfied the less effort and time invested. I can be happy with a 1-minute sketch, but I'll never be satisfied with a 25+ hour painting. The more time I invest the greater the expectations, I guess.

Of course, any satisfaction is fleeting as fresh eyes see only flaws.

Much like gamblers living for the elation of the rare big jackpot, I think artists keep working for that elusive moment they can stand back from their own work and say "that's good".

~R
    imho that's because you learn as you paint/draw. When you finish a painting you know more about painting than when you started it. In a 1 minute sketch you have learned little, but in a long one you learn a lot of things, so the difference between your art before and after making the 25+ hour painting is waaay bigger than the difference made by that 1 minute sketch, although I think it's more efficient to learn by small, steady bits, and those come from the studying and sketching rather than from long paintings where you spend a big chunk of the total time invested in the painting, just in the exceution part, and less in decision making and analyzing, compared to a fast sketch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    is a squirell ever happy with its nuts?

is a farmer ever happy with his harvest?

are vampires ever happy with there victims?

No, because if they were they'd be retired.

We all want more, more MORE I TELL YOU

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Satisfied is so the wrong word, if you guys dont feel satisfaction from drawing then this is the wrong place to be.

a better question i think is do you ever not feel frustrated that you didnt nip any errors 'in the bud' as they say or ever feel that a piece couldnt be improved.

and for me at least thats a definate no, thats the beauty of being a artist i think.

ALH is offline one of those tiny little dogs rich people keep in their vaginas
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wouldnt say being continually dissatisfied with ones own work is always how it is or 'should be'. Knowing you can always improve- sure. But never being satisfied? Never feeling proud of a piece of work? I'd feel depressed every time i picked up a pencil D:!

Members who have read this thread: 1