1st color post need so crits on how it looks so far
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Which one looks better the chic with the tam or the chick without

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tan

5 100.00%
  • No Tan

0 0%

Thread: 1st color post need so crits on how it looks so far

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy 1st color post need so crits on how it looks so far

I need more color in my portfolio, and I just need some crits on this and others I will be posting in the future this is a WIP.
    But before I went any further a wanted to see what people thought.

I have been practicing alot and learning alt from this site but this is my 1st color WIP post.

I just need to know if this image is working I know I need to color correct some portions of the pic but just wanted to know if this is something I should finish or start over also which one looks better?

I'm not sure how to get the poll to work but let me know if you can.

Thanks

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice. I like the drawing and the colors aren't coming along too bad!

First of all, I think the first image is working a lot better. I'm not sure what to make of all the blue in the second one.
    The light falling on the musculature of the abdominals needs to describe them better. Right now it's hard to tell whats going on anatomically down there.

It looks like your using a blue for the shadows. Right now the value of that color is too high. It's too light to be a shadow and is looking more like a soft light source. Also, you won't get the effect of blue shadow unless your light source is orangish/yellowish, which isn't clearly the case.
    Defining your lightsource and your shadows more clearly would help with that.

It's coming along well. I look forward to seeing where it goes!
    Rock on!

...my humble and uneducated opinion.

-Nate

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tan or no tan is your choice to make really. It depends on how you see this character. However, you need to make sure your lightsource is consistent and is used to describe volumes well. Other than that, the navel looked a bit too high up on the body in my opinion and... that line going down towards it, I'm not sure what it's describing anatomically.

The Boulder takes issue with that comment.

Sketchbookedness

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually I think the navel is the right height, but the "pantyline" of the outfit is so low, it ought to either show hair or a bit more shadow indicating the fact that her body is turning under very shortly. You've got a bit of that shaping there already.

The line down TO the navel, on the other hand, confuses me. I don't know what that is indicating but it's not a shadow I've seen on any ladies.

Her neck is a tad long, actually, but other than that, her anatomy looks pretty good.

Her outfit is a touch unrealistic in the bosom area - she'd be very likely to pop a nipple out in a fight, which I'm figuring is her plan what with the guns and knives.

I like the tan one better, even though I dig pale chicks, because it looks more interesting.

the knife edge could be a bit smoother. not sure if it got pixelated from scaling the image or not but make it as crisp as you can so it looks nice and sharp.

Also, just a nit for future works - that kind of knife handle gripped between middle and ring finger is virtually useless on long blades. It works well on something in the 1-4 inch range, but much longer and you just can't keep it stable. With a long cutting edge on one side like that, I'd give it a more standard knife grip where the hilt is against the thumb and forefinger. Just a thought.

Now, that's a lot of nitpicking, but in general, you've done quite well with the colors. I've picked on your character, but your colors in both are well done. The first one is best, in my opinion.

d a v i d p i n e

ONLY CONNECT.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh one more thing - the hand and gun at the bottom - very very sweet. Nicely composed, and elegantly executed.

Best,

maldrin

d a v i d p i n e

ONLY CONNECT.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you can keep going and work this piece up to be very nice, The only thing that really bothers me is the proportions of her face. She has a very long face between her eyes and the bottom of her nose and its distracting from the quality of the rest of the piece for me. I am posting a little paint over I hope you don't mind. I also threw down a little bit of color, and lightened up the line on her stomach.

"There is no expedient to which a man will not go to avoid the real labor of thinking." -Thomas Edison
    Home Page: http://artofphilwohr.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update!!!

Thank you all for the Crits! This helped alot! I just hope I was able execute them well enough. I re-designed the face and will be adding the highlights and final lighting very soon.

This is an update on the face. time is short for me I'm moving to a new flat.

Let me know if this is a better direction.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.