Would Gimp be a waste of time?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Would Gimp be a waste of time?

chazdraves is offline Looking At The Big Picture Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Would Gimp be a waste of time?

Greetings, all!

I've decided to finally buckle-down and choose a path in life. I think it's time I pursued art, and (long term) I'd like to get in to concept art. Obviously, there are some very experienced folks here with an incredible amount of wisdom on offer. I was floored when I discovered this place.

Anyhow, I ordered an Intuos3 6x11 tablet two days ago (my first tablet ever) and I've just decided to dive straight in. My training was always on paper and was sparse at best. I've been out of art for so long that an untrained 10-year-old could one-up everything I could put out at this time, but I mean to really make a serious go of this. That said, am I wasting my time with Gimp? I've been a Linux user for some while and would rather stay there, but I see that there's not even a forum for Gimp users here which tells me it must not be "up-to-snuff"?

On that note, I also visited the main websites for both Gimp and Painter X. Both sites linked to their user base gallery. I must say, the Painter X gallery stood out as being far more impressive. I couldn't decide if this is because the type of people that spend $400 on a program are naturally better and more dedicated than those that download a free program for kicks or because Painter X is really that far superior?

I was hoping you kind folks could enlighten me.

Thanks for your time,
    - Chaz

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's obviously more things you could do with Painter and Photoshop than with GIMP...

but that's not the point really.
    They're just tools and mediums.

What is important is the artist.

And you improve even if what you're doing is in traditional.

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I didnít like Gimp at all; I found it very non-user friendly. I like Serif DrawPlus8, which cost £10; I have X2 but still have to get to grips with it. But like waranghira said, itís not the tool that matters, just what you do with it.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Obviously, you're right when you say it's more to do with the artist. I respect that no program will instantly elevate me to the level most of you operate at.

That said, I downloaded a demo of Painter yesterday and am fairly impressed compared to Gimp. Given the price difference and my intentions, I think it's the better choice. Depending on the size of the coupons that come with my Wacom, I might grant Photoshop an audience, but I suspect it'll still be a bit more expensive than I'm comfortable with, especially relative to what I could do in Painter for less.

I know I'm deviating a bit from the topic, but would anyone care to recommend a starting point for me? Should I take up shading basic shapes again, or do I dive right in to anatomy studies?

Thanks for your time,
    - Chaz

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you've bought a wacom, chances are you'll get a cut down version of either Painter or Photoshop included with the driver discs, so you can judge for yourself.

If you get Photoshop Elements, Artrage is kinda "diet painter" that you might want to check out..nice brushy effects and compatible with PS files.
    http://www.ambientdesign.com/artrage.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it would be.

Gimp is cool if you're already familiar with a digital program and like to create pixel work.

It was and still is very succesfull in the demo scene in europe.

If you're not going to create pixel art or demo's I would stick to PSP or photoshop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Honestly, after using Photoshop for years, I absolutely cannot stand GIMP. The user interface with its million windows is just annoying as hell. :/ I haven't tried much with Painter, though. I know earlier versions tended to be very slow sometimes and would unexpectedly crash, but I don't know if that problem remains in Painter X.

I would say it depends on what kind of art you want to do. If you're going for the more painterly or realistic style, Painter is good because it works a lot like real media (without all the mess). Photoshop is obviously built more for photo-editing, and, while you can paint with it as well, you're not going to get as many tools that so closely mimic real media as you do with Painter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

yes u r

i think there is absolutely no need to go for something like GIMP when u have photshop. its better u pay more attention to ps and i think(possibly i may be wrong, possibly not) its better to be master with pencil and colors then all these programmes will be child games because its our psychology and knowledge that helps us to draw, computer is just a tool never an art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're planning to work in the industry, use the industry standard tools.

Quote Originally Posted by FlameRaven View Post
    Honestly, after using Photoshop for years, I absolutely cannot stand GIMP. The user interface with its million windows is just annoying as hell..
    Dock them into the tools dialogue.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Youll have to learn to use all these extra tools, making your job of getting better at art much harder, better to leave the digital stuff for when you feel comfortable painting in real life mediums, it will be much easier for you that way.

Heres another good free alternative:
    http://www.artweaver.de/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my personal opinion:

-painter is made for painting, gimp and ps not really

-ps is better for painting than gimp in my experience

-if you're better with gimp than ps then i see no reason not to use it. go open source!! add inkscape and you have a great design package for free

-almost everyone here will tell you that they prefer a combination of ps(or gimp) and painter, which has some very unique functions and brushes. andrew jones is using them extensively

-whats good for sketching is alias sketchbook pro. very intuitive and not too expensive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, it was posted a few back, and I think I have to agree, that it makes sense to use the industry-standard programs from the get-go. I've still got the eval copy of Painter X, and I plan to purchase it when my trial runs out. I may be no where near using any of it's potential, but I know it's there when I learn how.

Thanks for the advice all, I think it helped me make a good decision.

Regards,
    - Chaz

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.