Pele - Goddess of Fire
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Pele - Goddess of Fire

Razorleaf is offline "Moving Forward" each and every day :) Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Pele - Goddess of Fire

Last edited by Razorleaf; July 15th, 2008 at 09:25 AM.
    "Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know she's supposed to be a goddess of fire but I think she might be a little too red. You should probably add more oranges and yellows as highlights to her skin so she doesn't look so flat. You already have some of that going on but I think you should push it a little more. The dress would also have more color to it, rather than being solid white, from all of the light of the fire and any reflected light from your figure as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes I was wondering if the dress was supposed to be all white or if that was because it was unfinished. Definitely a few more lights in her flesh. Also a detail of her feet might be good - it looks a little strange but it's not big enough for anyone to comment.

Best,

maldrin

d a v i d p i n e

ONLY CONNECT.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still looking flat. You need to add tones and highlights, regardless of your color palette. I Googled this image to show a bit how you can make her pop out more. Hope this helps.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    My work: [link]

Razorleaf is offline "Moving Forward" each and every day :) Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Blue, its funny but I googled the same image to study fire on a figure but I kept coming up with the same style over and over - mine. It is what I 'see'. And besides, my image reflects what I think Pele would be like. I did my research on her before starting my painting. The googled figure is actually on fire whereas my Pele is a representation of the Goddess of Fire.

"Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Critiques are to help your piece. There is no need to get defensive.

Your girl is flat, her face is undefined and your choice of colors actually hurts the eye to look at. You need to bring down these extreme primary reds and shift a bit towards orange and yellows to help show shape and form. As stands, you have no form at all and your white is clashing hard against your primary reds.

You can make this a fantastic piece, you just need to work closer towards your reference. As a digital piece you can always keep your reference in a separate layer and revisit it every few minutes to make sure you are not straying too far.

My work: [link]

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blue, I sincerely appreciate C&Cs and I post to get them. I am in no way defensive I assure you ...

Your comments are valid and my painting is still unfinished, and I will continue to work on her. I actually have no reference for this piece, I made her up entirely.

I guess what I was trying to say is that I wasn't leaning toward the googled image but staying closer to my own style - whatever that is

Again, I do appreciate your comments, thank you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Updating progress...

Last edited by Razorleaf; July 15th, 2008 at 09:28 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you really should avoid strait up black and white wherever possible, they really flatten out your image. You didn't really here, but I only know because I checked it out with the color picker in ps to make sure. You also need a reference for her dress (it has no real folds and as a result looks a lot like a banana peel), just go onto flickr, you should find all you need. Also, the lighting on the dress is really off. your lightsource is the bottom, but it's lighted with a soft defused light from the upper left.

Last edited by humboldt squid; July 15th, 2008 at 12:41 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to add this...

I just hooked my plasma monitor up to my lap top (which is where I do all my painting) and wow what a difference. The image on the monitor is so much bolder than the one on my lap top.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is still flat, are you using reference for the figure? Blue has a good point. you may have to sort out the light source then you can render the figure so that it looks more rounded when that is sorted. Since you said she is not on fire and if she her self is not the source of light then maybe the light would be coming form the fire all around beneath her. the top is black so it looks like no light is coming from up there. I had alot of trouble recently with an image all because I didn't sort out where exactly the light was comming from, it helps alot if that is established right at the start in the thumbnail/planning stage. hope that helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are right Hybrid, my lighting is really off. I have no reference for this painting as I made her up entirely. I will continue to work on her though. Thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.