Unexpected Reference!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unexpected Reference!

Okay, so when I draw, I like to prepare reference but I realize lately I've been drawing things where unexpected reference is needed comes up and I'm not near any sources with that type of reference. What do you usually do in this situation? Do you just finish the image from your imagination? I don't draw by a computer so... I was wondering what your reference usually is. Do you draw and then go on the internet wehn you need reference? or do you use books? Let me know all the details!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I usually do loads of thumbs then decide what kind of refs I need. If it's possible I shoot them all myself (or have bf shoot pics of me.) Else I go on the intarwebs. Sometimes, rarely, books. I also continually take pics of random stuff all the time and then sort them as later refs.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This question confuses me. You should try to figure out what you're going to need when you start a project. If, partway through, you realize you need something else, you should get it.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

yes i do rererences

it would would have been much better if u would have posted some of your works. i always start with my imagination. once i am clear in my mind what i exactally want i go for reference just to get an accuracy. i search net, shoot by my self or go out on road or even mountains to search for it(i am little bit crazy guy) sometimes i dress my self to see how it feels to be what i want to draw, there cant be any art without emotions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you are talking about just general sketching, rather than for a specific project, then yeah, I've had that happen. I'll either roughly indicate where I want it to go and scribble a little reminder note. Or if it's more crucial to the image I'll wing it knowing it will be bad.

One of my favorite places to go to just sketch is the mall. I hang out at the food court, grab lunch, and then people watch and sketch. You get a pretty good variety of people. Another advantage is if I get stuck on reference, there are two book stores there at the mall to look for quick reference .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    can't you get a reference that's relevant to your project, and just use your imagination and creativity to use that reference in a different light and into your work?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.