Some vague stupid questions for you.

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Some vague stupid questions for you.

In the interest of (hopefully) starting a more peaceful thread in the lounge, I thought I would start a thread to learn a little bit more about you guys. In specific, what's most important to you, what kind of things you would give your life for, etc.

Today, I think, I will focus on some things that I think about a lot, and I would like to know if you think about them too. Feel free to discuss any of these, but if you start fighting, I will throw food at you. I promise.

Hokay, so.

Do you believe that there could be/is/most likely is life on other planets?

If so, what are some of the forms that you day dream about? Are they intelligent? Are they single-celled organisms?

Do you want to go to space?

If you could be the first on an alien planet (with no knowledge of what might be there beyond oxygen), what would you be willing to give up? How short would the trip have to be for you to consider it? What if you couldn't come back? What if you couldn't, but your art COULD? What if you went but you wouldn't come back and no one here would ever know where you went or what happened to you? Would more knowledge of the planet change your opinion?

Would you try to make contact with an intelligent alien even if you found one?

If you DID go and you DID meet an alien that was intelligent and you managed to find a way to communicate with each other, what would you ask it? Would you change your question depending on whether you were coming back to earth or not?

If you had only a few minutes to introduce both you and all of humanity to your new alien friends, what would you say? Would you say only good things? Or only bad things? Would you give a warning, or an invitation? Would you bring anything just to show them? Would you bring weapons?

Anyway, yeah, um, answer if you feel like it, and mock if you don't, I suppose.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by daestwen View Post
    In the interest of (hopefully) starting a more peaceful thread in the lounge, I thought I would start a thread to learn a little bit more about you guys. In specific, what's most important to you, what kind of things you would give your life for, etc.

Today, I think, I will focus on some things that I think about a lot, and I would like to know if you think about them too. Feel free to discuss any of these, but if you start fighting, I will throw food at you. I promise.

Hokay, so.

If so, what are some of the forms that you day dream about? Are they intelligent? Are they single-celled organisms?

If you could be the first on an alien planet (with no knowledge of what might be there beyond oxygen), what would you be willing to give up? How short would the trip have to be for you to consider it? What if you couldn't come back? What if you couldn't, but your art COULD? What if you went but you wouldn't come back and no one here would ever know where you went or what happened to you? Would more knowledge of the planet change your opinion?

If you DID go and you DID meet an alien that was intelligent and you managed to find a way to communicate with each other, what would you ask it? Would you change your question depending on whether you were coming back to earth or not?

If you had only a few minutes to introduce both you and all of humanity to your new alien friends, what would you say? Would you say only good things? Or only bad things? Would you give a warning, or an invitation? Would you bring anything just to show them? Would you bring weapons?

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to N D Hill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting. Give me some time to think about it...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    probably... I mean, it seems like with all the chances for there to be then there should be.

I sure hope there's intelligent life out there because to quote Monty Python's Meaning of Life, "there's bugger-all down here on earth"

Sure, I'll try anything once.

If you could be the first on an alien planet (with no knowledge of what might be there beyond oxygen), what would you be willing to give up?
    Definately not the hot green chicks, I mean, an alien planet without them would just be disappointing.

How short would the trip have to be for you to consider it?
    If I could be put into cryosleep an not age, I don't really care. However, if I was awake the whole time... depends on what there is to do on the spaceship. I refuse to go alone, that would drive me crazy. If I had a companion I might be able to handle it... but it would have to be a girl, because I don't want to find out if I'd go all gay from spending that much time alone with a guy.

While on the way are we allowed to hotbox the spaceship?

What if you couldn't come back? What if you couldn't, but your art COULD?
    Depends on whats there when I get there. I mean, if I don't know, as you suggested, then I'd prefer to stay here. I wan't to die with people arround me. If I can have new friends and family when I get there I might consider it, otherwise, keep me here.

What if you went but you wouldn't come back and no one here would ever know where you went or what happened to you?
    No way. I don't want them looking for me and wondering.

Would more knowledge of the planet change your opinion?
    Hell yeah! If I know what I'm going to then I'd definately be willing to go.

I suppose it depends on my gut instinct. If it looks angry/hungry/eager to probe I'll keep my distance.

I dunno, I think I'd let the conversation wander and just see what comes up.

If you had only a few minutes to introduce both you and all of humanity to your new alien friends, what would you say?
    Greetings, I come in peace.

Would you say only good things? Or only bad things?
    I'd be honest, at least as much as possible.

Would you give a warning, or an invitation?
    Neither untill I had gotten to know them.

Would you bring anything just to show them?
    Nothing comes to mind.

Would you bring weapons?
    Yes, but keep them concealed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Depends on how you spin Drake's Equation

I do believe that there are intelligent races in other systems. The very idea that we are the sole intelligent species in the universe, much less our galaxy or even our planet, to me has always struck the chord of absurdity.

To illustrate my point:

With the basic components of life as we know it (carbon and water) being rather abundant within the universe, I deem the likelihood life elsewhere to be rather high.

The question is whether or not it is an intelligent technological species.

Both. So called simple life forms I think will ultimately be the most abundant - less of an evolutionary leap for life to make in order to get there.

However, I do think that intelligent life (comparable or exceeding our own) will also be fairly abundant. Whether or not we recognize it as such remains to be seen. (Consider our struggles with the Cuttlefish and Octopus, for example.

Yes. Though I'd be sicker than a dog for a while

If you could be the first on an alien planet (with no knowledge of what might be there beyond oxygen), what would you be willing to give up?
    Hell, it doesn't even have to have oxygen. I'd be happy with any life bearing planet - or almost any other world for that matter, life or not.

How short would the trip have to be for you to consider it?
    Depends on how we are getting there. Assuming current day technology, if we could hit relative speeds, I suppose it wouldn't ultimately matter as the aging process would slow for me and who ever went. But, on the downside, earth et all would continue to age as per normal, and wouldn't see us for hundreds, thousands, or millions of years again depending on how far away the destination is.

What if you couldn't come back? What if you couldn't, but your art COULD?
    Radio is a wonderful thing Again, assuming Einsteinian physics for relativistic travel, the question would be moot, as for all intents and purposes, I wouldn't be coming back - at least to a world that I was familiar with.

In this case, science trumps art.

What if you went but you wouldn't come back and no one here would ever know where you went or what happened to you?
    ...and this is a problem because... ?

Would more knowledge of the planet change your opinion?
    Depends on the knowledge. Obviously, I would want to know as much about the world and system as possible before arrival.

Assuming I found an intelligent species, the first order of business would be to study their culture and how they interacted with each other. Do they recognize an individual of a species as being separate and unique? Are they more like a hive of insects, where the individual is expendable? What sort of social structures do they have? Are they peaceful? Are they xenophobic? Are they technological? Do they appreciate art? Are their guns bigger than mine?

If you DID go and you DID meet an alien that was intelligent and you managed to find a way to communicate with each other, what would you ask it?
    That would entirely depend upon the situation and the above criteria of identification. I would hate for my first question to be something along the lines of "Wait - why are you shooting at me?"

Would you change your question depending on whether you were coming back to earth or not?
    No. As I see it, returning to earth or not would be irrelevant in the course of First Contact.

If you had only a few minutes to introduce both you and all of humanity to your new alien friends, what would you say?
    "We come in Peace." Aside to my crew "Shoot to kill."

Joking. Seriously, probably something along the lines of "We come in Peace."

Would you say only good things? Or only bad things? Would you give a warning, or an invitation?
    Again, this would depend. I tend to be fairly even handed in my assessments of culture, and recognize that they are transitory things that merely represent the ideas and beliefs of the current age. The same would apply, I'm sure, for any alien civilization that we come in contact with, so it would necessarily be a cautious exchange of information. I think, for my part, I would be willing to share as much of our history and culture with them as they were with me. But again, that would be entirely dependent on the situation. If it were peaceful, I'm sure much more information would traded. However, if the contact were not peaceful, I think the exchange would be a tad more explosive, with a certain focus on physics.

Would you bring anything just to show them?
    Well, aside from the fact that I exist as a bioform - sure. Art, science, music, The Where The Hell is Matt video. Hell, I'd probably bring Matt.

Would you bring weapons?
    Yes. Without reservation. I would sincerely hope that they would not be needed, but I believe that it is better to have something and not need it than to need something and not have it. That said, I would not make a show of them, as that would (I hope) be unnecessary.

Live long, and prosper.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm afraid of aliens and space, so no to most.

Are there aliens out there, mmmmm could be.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OOh i like this this is a good idea

To me, there is absolutely no question that there are other intelligent life forms out there. The only real question is WHERE, and how far away.

As Oregano's video pointed out, the sheer immensity of the universe is completely unfathomable by any human mind, or atleast to me. All I see is theres a million billion stars in every galaxy, and theres a million billion galaxies in the universe, all of which are spaced so far apart that it would take a million billion trillion quadrillion gaziillion years to travel across. So to say that we are the only intelligent species in this infinitely large universe seems kind of conceded to me.

Just like the infinitely large universe, I like to think of the amount of bizarre, beautiful, and wacky creatures living in the universe to be infinite as well. I like to think that any one of the creatures thought up and created for creature of the week could viably be living somewhere out there.

I dont know about going into space. Being in no gravity would definitely be an amazing experience, but I think I'd rather just stay grounded on earth for my lifetime.

If I was the first on an alien planet, I would probably be scared to hell and back, and awestruck at the same time.

The trip would have to be less than a year one way for me to consider it. And I'd have to be in some huge ass space ship that was large enough to be its own flying community in space. I wouldnt go in some rag-tag apollo rocket with like 5 other crew members

If I couldnt come back... Well that would suck if i was married and had a family by then, if not, then I get to live where no other man has lived and experience what no other man has experienced. And if my art could return, I could still record and share my experiences with my fellow earthlings through them.

If I went and never returned and nobody knew... Hmm... Hopefully this would be because the new planet was so amazing I didnt want to return. If I got killed by some aliens... well, that would plain suck.

More knowledge would definitely change my opinion, thats logic, in my opinion.

If I met an alien, I have no idea what I would say. It would all depend on the aliens appearance and the situation we are in. I would probably say that i came in peace and was honored to meet them. Idk if I'd bring anything to show them. And I wouldnt bring weapons. I figure If I get into a war with some aliens on a completely foreign planet, im pretty fucked either way. Bringing weapons would only provoke hostility.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is there other life out there? they found fossils on Mars if I remember correctly

yes I would like to go to Space, in the future it will probably be accessible to everyone as in holidays etc, but I don't believe it will be any of our life time,
    sadly it will mean a McDonalds on the moon.

I only hope that if we discover a new planet that we don't decide to colonize it with mass genocide.

I think that most of the questions in relation to alien planet or meeting an alien is that you try and find some common ground, something both parties can relate to.. what if they can't speak or understand you and visa versa.

no babel fish in sight..........

IF I could communicate with an alien then I would like to find out as much a possible about their race, customs, music etc...

possibly try and learn from them and visa versa.

Worse case scenario, to quote Perry Farrell, if aliens invade "we'll make great pets"

SKETCHBOOK

"There aren't any shortcuts. You've got to dig in – study and draw the world around you. This is the only way to hone your skill and develop a style that is your own". GREG CAPULLO

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JBS Haldane
    "I have no doubt that in reality the future will be vastly more surprising than anything I can imagine. Now my own suspicion is that the Universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose."

It seems to me that life is probably a system that has to emerge if certain combinations of environmental conditions and elements are present, the way strange attractors emerge out of chaotic systems only at certain specific sets of values. Everything else in the universe seems to work that way. The laws of physics are observations of effects that are thought to be produced by the way the 4 fundamental forces interact.

One of the things that kind of spooks me out a little bit is how similair the supercluster simulation looks in Oregano's video to a network of neurons, as well as a mycelial network. The b&w image below is of the former, and the blue one is the latter. I think one of the things that's going to happen is that our definitions of life, and of intelligence are going to broaden as we leave earth and start actively investigating other planets. Infact, it may help us understand our own earth better.

With the new stuff thats coming out about plant awareness and behavior I think we're going to need to reevaluate what constitutes consciousness and intelligence, and perhaps concede that intelligence might actually be produced in mediums other than the animal nervous system. This video is of the Dodder plant, which is a parasitic vine that seeks out other plants by sensing chemical cues the other plants give off. When it finds a suitable host plant it burrows down and drains nutrients from it....it's a vampire.

If an information processing network as complex and interconnected as the human nervous system produces our consciousness then why shouldn't it emerge, perhaps slightly differently from other similarly complex, interconnected, energy transferring networks? Is the universe self aware?

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cthogua For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthogua
    One of the things that kind of spooks me out a little bit is how similair the supercluster simulation looks in Oregano's video to a network of neurons, as well as a mycelial network.
    I have had the same thought on more than one occasion, though more in terms of neurons. The mycelieal network comparison is a new one for me.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not going to comment on most answers, as I find them a good read and since they are people's personal opinions, I think it's better just to appreciate them, however...

Quote Originally Posted by tomwaits4noman View Post
    Is there other life out there? they found fossils on Mars if I remember correctly
    Nope. (Alas.) They found some weird shapes and such which let people's minds run rampant for a little while, but they have not yet found anything which has had a confirmed biological origin.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Most people argue that with the vast sweep of the universe, the statistical probability is that other forms of life must be present elsewhere. But what if the probability that a random chemical soup could spontaneously burst into life is so low that it overwhelms the the number of attempts made possible by the vastness of the universe? What if we actually ARE the only life in the universe? Think how tenuously our life clings to our tiny blue ball, cosily cushioned beneath a few tens of kilometers of atmosphere. Think how easily, in the unfeeling hostility of space, that life could be snuffed out. Think how close we are to blowing it ourselves. That would be the ultimate sin.

I find the notion that we might actually be the only life in the universe more mindblowing than any concept of other life somewhere else. It makes me cherish life more deeply and the tiny jewel of a planet that created it.

The truth will set you free,
    but first it's gonna piss you off!

Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ed-...47726545290769

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Wooly ESS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooly ESS View Post
    Think how easily, in the unfeeling hostility of space, that life could be snuffed out. Think how close we are to blowing it ourselves. That would be the ultimate sin.

I find the notion that we might actually be the only life in the universe more mindblowing than any concept of other life somewhere else. It makes me cherish life more deeply and the tiny jewel of a planet that created it.
    Life in extreme environments

I'm glad that it provides you with such deep feeling regarding life and our planet...I agree wholehearted with the sentiment, but I have to disagree with the idea that life's grip on this planet is tenuous. Diversity is tenuous, but life I think, once started is perhaps nearly inextinguishable. Certainly the cold vacuum of space is anathema to any kind of life that we currently know anything about, but there are conditions here on earth similair to ones that might be found on other planets and moons in our solar system that support fairly large amounts of life. Colonies of shrimp, tube worms, and crabs, able to survive in water with extreme temperatures and rich in chemicals that would kill most surface life.

from the wiki on Hydrothermal vents:
    Life, as most people understand it, is driven by the sun, but deep sea organisms have no access to sunlight, so they must depend on nutrients found in the dusty chemical deposits and hydrothermal fluids they live in. Previously, marine biologists assumed that vent organisms were dependent on a "rain" of detritus from the upper levels of the ocean, like deep sea organisms are. This would leave them dependent on plant life and thus the sun. Some hydrothermal vent organisms do consume this "rain," but with only such a system, life forms would be very sparse. Compared to the surrounding sea floor, however, hydrothermal vent zones have a density of organisms 10,000 to 100,000 times greater.

Hydrothermal vent communities are able to sustain such vast amounts of life because vent organisms depend on chemosynthetic bacteria for food. The water that comes out of the hydrothermal vent is rich in dissolved minerals and supports a large population of chemoautotrophic bacteria. These bacteria use sulfur compounds, particularly hydrogen sulfide, a chemical highly toxic to most known organisms, to produce organic material through the process of chemosynthesis.
    That kind of says to me that life develops using whatever kind of energy source is available in its environment. Instead of being dependant on an extraterrestrial source of power, they live off the energy produced by the heat and chemicals deeper withing the earth. There actually is a theory called the "Iron-Sulfur world theory" that life actually developed first in geothermal vents under a primordial ocean.

from the wiki article of that:

The iron-sulfur world theory is a hypothesis for the origin of life advanced by Günter Wächtershäuser, a Munich chemist and patent lawyer, involving forms of iron and sulfur.[1] Wächtershäuser proposes that an early form of metabolism predated genetics. Metabolism here means a cycle of chemical reactions that produce energy in a form that can be harnessed by other processes. The idea is that once a primitive metabolic cycle was established, it began to produce ever more complex compounds. A key idea of the theory is that this early chemistry of life occurred not in bulk solution in the oceans, but on mineral surfaces (e.g. iron pyrites) near deep hydrothermal vents. This was an anaerobic, high-temperature (near 100°C), high-pressure environment. The first 'cells' would have been lipid bubbles on the mineral surfaces. Wächtershäuser has hypothesized a special role for acetic acid, a simple combination of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen found in vinegar. Acetic acid is part of the citric acid cycle that is fundamental to metabolism in cells.

Some of the fundamental ideas of the iron-sulfur theory can be summarized in the following brief recipe for life: Boil water. Stir in iron sulfide and nickel sulfide. Bubble in carbon monoxide and hydrogen sulfide gas. Wait for peptides to form.
    So life can exist entirely independant of exposure to the sun as long as there is some geological activity, or some other energy source. This bacteria uses uranium to convert water molecules into useable energy 2 miles below the surface of the earth. It almost seems like life might be inevitable. The only real deal breaker seems to be the presence or absence of water. However even that is up for question, according to some alternative biochemistry theories.

And finally...maybe even dust is alive
    Physicists Discover Inorganic Dust With Lifelike Qualities
    Quite bizarrely, not only do these helical strands interact in a counterintuitive way in which like can attract like, but they also undergo changes that are normally associated with biological molecules, such as DNA and proteins, say the researchers. They can, for instance, divide, or bifurcate, to form two copies of the original structure. These new structures can also interact to induce changes in their neighbours and they can even evolve into yet more structures as less stable ones break down, leaving behind only the fittest structures in the plasma.

So, could helical clusters formed from interstellar dust be somehow alive? "These complex, self-organized plasma structures exhibit all the necessary properties to qualify them as candidates for inorganic living matter," says Tsytovich, "they are autonomous, they reproduce and they evolve."

Sorry about the epic length of this post...its just a topic I get excited about

Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cthogua For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now this is a topic close to my heart!

I believe there is. That belief is based partly on the fact that it seems quite likely, and partly on the fear that there isn't.

Name:  200px-PillarCoral.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  20.0 KB
    Name:  167083082_56b8b98c0a.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  117.8 KB
    Name:  634px-Slime_mold.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  186.3 KB
    Name:  octopus_abaculus.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  22.4 KB
    Name:  corn.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  32.2 KB

These organisms are all based on the same DNA we are. Compared to anything on another planet, we're these guys' brothers and sisters. Of all the crazy and impossibly weird shit we've seen on our planet, all of it came from the same stuff as we did. I can't even imagine what something with an entirely different chemical base, evolving in an entirely different environment might look or act like. This is something that bugs me about the vast majority of sci-fi. If your alien isn't weirder than corn, you're not trying hard enough.

Yes, very much so.

I wouldn't do it. Sure, it would be cool to live on another planet, but it would also be cool to live at the bottom of the sea. Unfortunately, we humans have a tendency to die in any environment that isn't precisely suited to us.

The other reason I wouldn't do it is that I have no idea what effect I, and the billions of bacteria I bring along with me, would have on the environment. We'd probably just starve to death and that would be that, but introducing a new species to an environment is always unpredictable.

I would love to see an alien world, but I wouldn't want to live there.

If it was just me, maybe. I wouldn't want to make contact on behalf of our planet though. I'm not nearly qualified to be an ambassador, and there's way too many things that could go wrong.

That's a hard one. I'd want a question that's useful, but can be understood across the huge cultural gap, as well as being something that the average alien is likely to know the answer to. I wouldn't ask for specific scientific knowledge, because on the off-chance that this alien did know the answer, there's a high probability I wouldn't understand it.

I'd probably ask it to tell me a joke or a story (assuming that if it has the ability to communicate, it would have an equivalent to one of those things). Maybe just get it to describe a day in its life, or a favourite memory.

Man, I have a hard enough time thinking of something to say when I'm introducing myself to a girl, let alone an alien. So I'm guessing it would go something along the lines of:

Me: "Umm..."
    Alien: "Did you say something?"
    Me: "Uh, yeah. I was uh... just umm... just wondering if you had... the time?"
    Alien: "Oh, sure. It's pi past first sunset."
    Me: "Mmm, thanks."
    *an awkward moment passes*
    Alien: "Was that all--"
    Me: "Yeah yeah, that's it. Thanks."

Or maybe I'd just hand it some Carl Sagan books.

Eric

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

20. The Following User Says Thank You to 0kelvin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been to america a few times, I had to give up the cost of the flight and the time it took to get there.

Unfortunately there was no sign of intelligent life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In the interest of (hopefully) starting a more peaceful thread in the lounge, I thought I would start a thread to learn a little bit more about you guys.

< snip >

Would you stop giving me story ideas? I have enough bombarding me right now I can't keep them straight and you go and give me another lot! I might answer this. Don't know yet. (^_^)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What if WE were the Concept Art in some strange alien universe?

The truth will set you free,
    but first it's gonna piss you off!

Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ed-...47726545290769

Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by 0kelvin View Post
    If your alien isn't weirder than corn, you're not trying hard enough.

Hahaha! Corn IS wierd, isn't it!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by 0kelvin View Post
    If your alien isn't weirder than corn, you're not trying hard enough.
    Desperately needs to be sigged.

Members who have read this thread: 1