Mythological creature 1 (upd)
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Mythological creature 1 (upd)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Mythological creature 1 (upd)

I decided to turn the attention of my recent speedpainting spree to mythological creatures. I've been wanting to make a monster encyclopedia for a long time now. This is a 4-5 year old sketch speedcolored in PS. I'm quite displeased with it, especially the design. I'll make a better one, I promise!

The first one to guess what mythological monster this turkey-like failure is supposed to be can choose the next thing I'll paint from the following (quite sparse) list:

Griffon
    Sagitaur
    Minotaur
    Lamassu
    Manticore
    Troll
    Cyclops

Sphinx
    Siren
    Harpy
    Gorgon
    Echidna

Hydra
    Chimera
    Scylla

---

Here's a dragonfly sketch, also made 4-5y ago. I might speedcolor it in PS.

Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; October 20th, 2002 at 12:54 PM.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Oblio is offline Pointless. 1st CA student. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

big list but...

i wanna see this finished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hmmm...

Scylla: a huge dangerous rock on the coast of Italy, supposed to be the abode of the mythological monster, Scylla, which seized and wrecked passing vessels?

K!erston

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoa, cool!
    man.. thats wicked!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ruby> That's you guess? Scylla was a female seamonster with 6 heads on long necks, 3 rows of teeth and 12 feets that were attached to a cliff. Some artists paint her as a drangontailed mermaid though.

Hint 1: The definition of the monster I painted was 'updated' during the middleages. The first definition was a snake with a white patch in the shape of a crown on its head.

Here are some sketches (A4 (12x8") 100ppi). No ref 'cept the stuff that in my head. I'm trying to be more bold with the knee curve thing now after seeing Ruby's stuff.

Hint 2: There is another more accurate attempts of 'creature X' on this sheet.

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 133 Posts
    Follows
    Following

my guess

Well to me it looks like a Basilisk or sometimes refered to as a cockatrice

part roster part serpent, born fromfrom an egg laid by a seven year cock, under a full moon, hatched by a toad who sat on it for ninw years.

I know it was sometimes depicted with a crown of silver feathers.

If Im right I would like to see you make a bad ass Sagitaur, its my favorite monster, Im a sagitarius myself and I have always identified with its struggle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oi, Android got it!

A basilisk can be a rooster with 4 legs, spiky wings, yellow (golden?) feathers/skin. Its eyes fires devastating beams. I didn't know about the egg and toad thing...

Next: Sagitaur!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I used to cast Earthquake on the cockatrice enemies in Final Fantasy 6. Killed the little bastards fast. Heh.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uh-oh, now I'm confused :confused:

Is a Sagitaur a horse-centaur or a griffon-centaur? I saw an old swedish RPG book with a Sagitaur and I think it was the griffon type...

Burn Things. Guest
    !- niiice (big fan of the mutant rodents btw ) :cool: anyway- pretty sure a sagitaur would be a half human half horse (centaur) like the sagittarius sign which usually shows one shooting a bow or somethin :confused: Not entrely sure what you mean by a griffon-centaur - all i can think of is a chimera - which would sorta look like that - but its already on your list- nice start!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    as far as i know, it's like that:

centaur: human-horse hybrid
    saguitar: kinda bird-human hybrid

but i'm not sure, too. i'll search my huge mythology book for that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah well, made a sketch, gonna color it up later, and the basilisk sketch on the top of the misc. paper too.

I made the body a bit different, mainly cuz I suck at horses and I don't think they are cool enough.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

kewl

Hey! horse centaurs are plenty kewl enough! :p

K!erston

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    strange enough, i started painting a horse centaur these days, too after seeing rubygenesis' unicorn sketch...

seems to be a hybridy air around the forums

edit:
    i looked up the creatures you weren't clear about up in my mythology book and it sais:

centaurs: hybrids of horse and man (apparently no girls), origin is around greece.
    they look beautiful but their character is bad: they drink, rape etc... quote: "if some centaurs meet bachhus for a party, every wise father locks the door behind his wife and daughters"

saguitar: one special centaur called cheiron/chiron was different from the other centaurs: he was wise and of a good character. he was risen by apollo and artemis.
    unfortunately, he was wounded by a poisoned arrow herakles shot at the erymathic(word?) boar. centaurs are invincible but he feared that the poisoned wound will hurt him the rest of his life and the gods rewarded his noble being with a place on the sky, where he became a zodiac.

griffons: ~ are hybrids between lions and eagles: body and rear legs are that of a lion while front legs, head and wings are from eagles.
    their origin is around turkey where they guarded the hidden treasures that lured lots of greedy people in the desert to search for them. (the griffons killed most of those people)
    griffons also pull helios' chariot.

hope that helps a bit

Last edited by gekitsu; October 22nd, 2002 at 06:17 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I´ve got no problems with girl-centaurs - somehow they have to increase I really like the lineworks - I´d be glad if I had such a sure grip of proportions. BTW the girl-centaur should be unique when looking at the hooves. Horses don´t have pairs of hooves - this should apply to cows or goats

Fipse

<Insert witty remark here>

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.