"Walking Distance" - Question related to university residence

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

"Walking Distance" - Question related to university residence

Here's the dilemma. I have rooms to rent which are half the price ($450 per month) of a certain university's dorms ($900 per month). I told my friend that my rooms are within "walking distance" to that same university. He was very happy with this offer, but then...

He checks Google Maps and realizes it will probably take half an hour to walk to the university from my place. He says I was lying when I said "walking distance". I said that a 30 minute walk is pretty easy to do and that using 1 hour a day for walking is doable. He is unconvinced, however.

The questions are:
    a) Do you consider 30 minutes to be "walking distance"?
    b) Do you believe using an hour per day for walking is worth saving 450 dollars per month for residence?

I'm in a crossroad here. I'm not sure if I'm wrong for thinking that 1 hour per day for walking is not horrible, or that he's crazy for not taking this offer. If it's the former, I might have to reduce the price to compensate, but I'd like some input first.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 259 Posts
    An hour spent walking is cheaper than a gym membership.

In two months, you'll each have saved enough to buy nice bicycles.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Seedling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I had to commute 74 miles, up hill and in the snow both ways to get to the University . . . actually just the 74 miles part. Gas ended up costing me around that much money a month. So simply put yes, you have a really good deal for your friend. Especially for a place as big as Toronto is. My university was in the middle of nowhere and rooms to rent cost about the same. Thirty minutes is a really good distance, besides, is there any public transit?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Musselfarmstudios For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,453 Times in 3,665 Posts

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yes, that is walking distance. However, I'd bike it. Tell him to get a cheap 50 dollar bike. Who the hell goes to uni without a bike or skateboard.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to aesir For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Most modern people consider "walking distance" to be 10 minutes or less, because we are spoiled and somewhat lazy. While I think a 30 minute walk is reasonable (depending on the conditions of the walk ie neighborhood involved, uphill, sidewalks, etc), most people just don't walk those kinds of distances any more. Sad, I know.

When I go out to a club or something, I often park a good distance from the place I'm going. Parking is easier, and the walk back to my car gives me time to figure out if I'm ok to drive (and obviously acts as a buffer). If I give people a ride home afterward, they are often complaining about the walk to my car haha.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to J Wilson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I would love to walk 30 minutes to someplace, especially if it saves me that much!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Sorry to be obnoxious her, Amaranth, but your friend is one lazy stupid mo'fo...I would have killed for a deal like that.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sorry if I'm too blunt, but he's a pussy if he thinks 30 minutes (hour round trip) isn't walking distance. Clearly he could use the exercise.

Wonder what he'd say about the bike riding I did to get from work and back some years ago? About 16 miles round trip every day, 'Twas good times 'cept in the summer.

And yes, I'd gladly walk an hour each day to save $450. Hell, if he can afford to blow that much extra a month why doesn't he just go rent from you and then buy a car?

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Anid Maro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for all the comments! I can see the general consensus being that he's absolutely nuts, but I can also see J Wilson's point on how some people may not be willing to walk for such a duration. Of course, I'm going to have to convince him without calling him "one lazy mo'fo" or a pussy .

Maybe if I feel nice one day, I could just get him a bike.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Tell him if he takes the deal, you'll throw a semi-decent bike into the deal up front...just make sure it's a pink girl's version with training wheels...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Depends which university, I had to walk to my university through an absolute cess pit. Had a guy who sat on his door step throwing big rocks at me and my girlfriend and some crazy guy who threw a carton of milk at me. If the areas not rough, then why not walk it?

My Website

My Blog

My Facebook

Currently for hire as freelancer!]

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Saturns Gate For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    1 hour walking is a stupid waste of time in my opinion and it has its risks (awful weather, getting mugged, etc), but still, it's not that far so get yourself some bycicles and you're ready to go! Just in case, here's a little secret: 1 hour walks don't replace gym time man, no matter what anyone tries to tell you... if you're thinking about using the long walks as a way to get fit, you're better off paying 30 minutes a day in the gym doing strengh training.

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

25. The Following User Says Thank You to GriNGo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    In Philadelphia its only about a 40 minute walk from center city to the museum, and thats going medium paced. thats 2 miles. My friends and I do this all the time, and its at least a 20 minute walk or more for most of us from apartments to our classes, not to mention stairs after that. With music or company you think nothing of it.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to ChaoticKnight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Depends upon the area and the weather to me.

Do I want to walk half an hour through three feet of snow? Not so much.

Or through a really sketchy neighborhood if I'm taking night classes?

Now, a half hour walk in a temperate zone where mugging isn't a huge issue...

Basically, my concerns would have less to do with the actual walking than the surrounding conditions.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to MiniGoth For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.