Thanks

Talking The European Late 19th Century....

11th July 2008

RE: Impressionism, Expressionism and The "Founders"

Dear Forum,

Is THIS an Acceptable "Topic" of Discussion...

Do We ALL owe something to European Artists from 1850-1900?!

Regards

SBGB

Laters...

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Well, that's a better question I think.

Don't have much time and I'm a layman at this, so I'll keep it brief.

Been reading a book about the painting techniques of artists since the inception of oil paints through much of the modern era. On the section of Impressionism (1860+) it basically lists two main reasons why painting took the direction it did.

The primary reason was the quality of artist materials. At the time artists were no longer in charge of making their own paints and instead bought from color merchants, who at the time typically made poor quality paints with lots of filler. These paints made it next to impossible to paint in the manner of the old masters.

And the secondary reason was the reaction of artists to both the French academic system and to the quality of materials available to them.

To ask simply if we just owe something to these artists is a little vague and answerable with an equally vague "yes". But... how about we consider to what degree was the Impressionistic movement a result of artistic creativity and rebellion as opposed to practical restrictions based on the materials available?

I think we could get a lively discussion about that which would to a degree answer what it is we owe to these artists from 1850-1900.
    -My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 747 Posts
    It is indeed a very interesting era, and underexplored. Not the Impressionists -- they've been done to death -- but the Academicians they elbowed out of the picture.

I'd say most of us who call ourselves illustrators owe more to the latter than the former.
    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Thanked 16,687 Times in 5,023 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SethBedeGB View Post
    11th July 2008

RE: Impressionism, Expressionism and The "Founders"

Dear Forum,

Is THIS an Acceptable "Topic" of Discussion...

Do We ALL owe something to European Artists from 1850-1900?!

Regards

SBGB

Laters...

People will be more likely to respond seriously if you write in full sentences, punctuate/capitalize more regularly, lay off the smileys, and stop using the same bizarre formletter format for every post.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    My belief is that These guys were trying to "OutDo" the Work of God!... Not Only were they painting at a level that defied All belief, but they Also (in the main) got on with it despite massive critique.. It's like they KNEW that after 100 years or less that they would be hailed as a "Circus of Genius".. Not just that but I am sure they knew that their work would be next to Priceless... My Own work has at its heart Their principals.. I aspire rather than demand... I climb rather than constantly admire the view and I live in Ambition rather than Reward... These guys were the BUSINESS!... More laters... SBGB
    Last edited by SethBedeGB; July 11th, 2008 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Spelling-Typo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 747 Posts
    I dunno, Elwell. I'm coming to see Seth's posts as something like Rorshach tests: not meaningful of themselves, but able to evoke mental images.

That, or I'm just desperate not to do any work this afternoon.
    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Thanked 6,047 Times in 4,116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    People will be more likely to respond seriously if you write in full sentences, punctuate/capitalize more regularly, lay off the smileys, and stop using the same bizarre formletter format for every post.
    Well I live in South London (South East to be more exact), maybe I could hunt him down and find out if he talks like that as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,197 Times in 1,728 Posts
    Playbills without a show to advertise. A pied piper without a song.
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I'm coming to see Seth's posts as something like Rorshach tests: not meaningful of themselves, but able to evoke mental images.
    *sigh*

I feel as if he's trying to communicate something, I just don't know what. It's like he speaks in a different language and is trying to initiate a dialogue but does not know how. And I so desperately want him to get there!

But maybe it's like you say, perhaps it's a strange sort of Rorshach test and I'm just projecting myself onto him or something.
    -My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    Playbills without a show to advertise. A pied piper without a song.

I have to emphatically disagree with this statement. We are talking about a century of artists. How could you possibly pass the same sentence on every single one. Many of the early American illustrators that are highly regarded around here owe a lot to this tradition. Leyendecker even studied at the Academie Julian.

A notable example, in my opinion, of a 19th century artist who was telling a story or delivering a message would be someone like Gericault. Come on, the Raft of the Medusa! His portraits of the insane! These have amazing depth in their ideas and conception.

There are many who are guilty of the mistake addressed. But those exist in every era. It is our job as intelligent observers to separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.

Thanks
    Or if you want something from the late 19th century how about this one by Leon Bonnat. It is a picture of Job. I personally feel that the emotion of the picture matches that of the story.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,687 Times in 5,023 Posts
    I may be totally off base, but I thought Kev was referring to Seth's posts.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I dunno, Elwell. I'm coming to see Seth's posts as something like Rorshach tests: not meaningful of themselves, but able to evoke mental images.

That, or I'm just desperate not to do any work this afternoon.
    Good point but if we remember our Watchmen . . . Rorshach was a bit off kilter and a little screwed in the head.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    I may be totally off base, but I thought Kev was referring to Seth's posts.
    Ahh.....now I get it. Sorry Kev. I thought you were talking art.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Carl Dobsky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,047 Times in 4,116 Posts
    Serious answer. The Dutch yes, the French no. These are generalisations not specifics; there are always exceptions.