May actually finish this one!

View testimonialsGet Two Free Art Videos
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

May actually finish this one!

Yay, I started something that I like for once ^_^ My man showed me some tricks to combine Photoshop and Painter, and I am in LOVE. Took me like 1/8 of the time it usually takes to do things. Soooo started out drawing Twiggy as a study, and think I will fancy her up and change her hair and some things (like the big ole' eyelashes I gave her). These are two versions of where I am at, one a bit contrastier than the other. You guys have any crits for me so far?

~ Char

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More progress, lots of roughness. Threw in some stuff just for color placement. Her shoulder line is bugging me hardcore, though. The shirt and collar will be delicate lace fastened with an emerald brooch, kinda Victorian looking. You guys like so far?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    'Nother quick update to show hair hues better, literally *just* started hair.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,271 Times in 737 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This looks fine, no real crits really, the likeness is excellent! However I think you could refine aspects of her face before playing aound with make-up and detailing. Features like the ears are a bit shapless and unrefined. The shoulder might be bugging you, because it looks as though the neck is really thin, even for Twiggy. I know everyone works differently but I tend to think you're better off getting the drawing spot on on an image like this before detailing too much, because it's tight and very graphic.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much Posh, yeah you're right that neck really is scrawny! I'll try to tighten up the undefined areas before moving more into detail. Thanks again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More progress! *Shame* Haven't done ears yet Posh, but fixed the undefined neck area Better?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just keep going, this looks great.

- Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This looks lovely, you are quite good at painting. I especially like her mouth.

I think the first picture is the best though. While it can be fun to experiment with adding stuff you sometimes loose important qualities in the process. And Twiggy is quite beatiful without sparkly stuff.

I gathered that you are having trouble with the neck. I dont understand why you decided to ignore the lines you had drawn for it in the begginning.

I made these two paintovers to see if I could help you out.

In the first one I am simply following the lines you have already drawn. As you can see it looks very stiff and scrawny.

In the second one I am following the lines on your first version. I think this position of the head look much more dynamic and relaxed.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Frida Bergholtz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, thanks so much for the kind words and input! I am especialy grateful for that paintover, too. I see what you mean about the lines changing - the neck change was intentional, since I had originally pictured her looking more relaxed and such. After I had roughed in those lines though, I felt that it didn't fit with the atmosphere I had going and *wanted* her more stately looking. Since everything else falls so symmetricaly, I kinda wanted to maintain that. I dunno I think I'll tighten other parts up a bit and maybe do two versions to see which neck ends up looking better with the piece. Thanks!

~ Char

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the details...especially the hair. I'm kinda curious how everything is so clean, I'm inspired! I know this is about crit but do you have any tips?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gardenrusalka For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL Garden thank you, I am so flattered. It's funny because my niche has always been drawing - I always feel like my digital pieces lack the detail and subtlety I get from hand-drawing. So I feel good right now since I've been working my ass off to improve in digital media Um, I dunno. What do you want to know? My technique is pretty mundane I guess.

I draw a very rough, loose outline of what I want on the Wacom tab, then throw in super messy chunks of color to show light and shadow. Like, SUPER messy. Just blocks of color. After I get the light looking right, I find a midtone and at low opacity go over the area with a soft-edged brush. In this particular piece I then flattened the whole image, took it into Corel Painter, and used the Soft Blending Stump 30 brush to blend the rough edges of the color planes I had layed down. Once I had that looking right I took it back into Photoshop, and used progressively harder-edges brushes and more saturated color to pick out the details.

For the hair, I have kind of modified the method but I pretty much learned from this tutorial:
    http://features.cgsociety.org/story_..._id=3174&page=

In my version I skip some of the steps and then as a finishing touch take colors I want to peek through, set a new layer to "Overlay", and glaze the lighted areas to give it dimension. Kind of like oil-painting glazes. Anyway, hope that made sense I'll post new progress soon - been swamped with work lately Wish it were art-related, lol. I so want to do ANYTHING but work at Macy's.

~ Char

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for typing all of that out. That tutorial looks fun, I'll have to give it a whirl! Also, might have to try Painter. I keep hearing that having a million brushes isn't going to solve anything but maybe there's other stuff in Painter that PS doesn't offer as it sounds geared totally toward painting. I love the Overlay tip!

I guess my biggest question was about the skinny detail lines. I can never hold my stylus pen straight enough to get a clean long line unless I do a giant sweep with my arm (and my tablet is teeeeeny).

Good luck with the work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys! Well I finally had time to do a little work on this. Yay, ears. Her feather-earring things look kinda stupid to me still though, but aside from that all I feel I really have to do is work on the shirt, and from there it's easy stuff like finishing the hair and tightening the messy areas. Don't worry I know I need shadow/integration with the brooch and pearl strand still - the brooch I think is too bright, looking at it now....or too saturated, something. Besides that, is it lookin' good? If you guys like it next step will finally be the *what do I need to change finish* piece

Oh and Garden, lol sorry wish I had a better tip for the tiny detail lines : / I dunno I have a steady hand I guess! And a big ole' Wacom tab, nice and roomy. But seriously try the overlay thingie and just be patient with going back over your lines and you'll totally dig the result.

~ Char

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.