Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Best Restaurant of your life

Thanks

Best Restaurant of your life

I love restaurants. I think about them all the time, I don't care what nobody say, but an amazing meal always puts a person in an amazing mood because we really are just animals and nothing much more then that.

The most amazing restaurant I have been to is called Alain Senderens, by one of the founding fathers of “Nouvelle Cuisine”.

This is a 2 michelin star restaurant in Paris. As many of the thread visitors will know restaurants are able to be awarded starts just like a hotel, out of a max of 3 stars. However to earn just one star is something extremely special so don't under estimate a 1 star rating.

http://lucascarton.com/uk/navigation.htm

that was the official website of place.

let me show you a few of the dishes I had.

1. Amuse De Bouche. The amuse de bouche was some sort of vegetable emulsion soup. I was too carried away to take a photo though and completely forgot.

2. Chanterelles mushrooms served with squids and cockles flavoured with spice oil.
    Approporiate wine: "Lune Blanche" 2005 - V.D.P. de Cassan, lie Conte des Floris

3. Roasted milk-fed lamb from Spain served with eggplants prepared in two ways.
    Approporiate wine: Bandol-Domaine de Terrebrune 2003

it says it is prepared in two ways, but as you can see there are 3 ways. The regular rack of lamb, a cylinder wrapped in fat or perphaps skin, and one piece that is made like a chinese springroll. This was the best dish thing I ever ate. Second best thing was the appetiser.

4. A desert amuse de bouche. It was some sort of frosty coctail. amazing. never thought a tiny little shot glass could be packed with so much pleasure.

[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=181&i=img5754pw6.jpg][IMG]

5. Poached peach flavoured with verbana and peach sorbet
    Approporiate wine: Muscat de Beaume de Venise 2006-Domaine Fernoullet (THIS is the wine i enjoyed the most in my short life. It isnt a fancy million $ kind, but it was perfect for the poached peach, and i could litterally smell the grapes it was made of. reccomend)

Now what about you guys? Name your fav dishes, restaurants, links, photos would be great as well.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pavel Sokov For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel Sokov View Post
    Now what about you guys? Name your fav dishes, restaurants, links, photos would be great as well.
    Although my recognition of those dishes were obsolete,
    from your ravings I would try all of it! How much did it cost you for a meal!?

I would have to say that the best restaurant I ever
    set foot in was The Oceanaire in Washington D.C.

It had the best cheese cake I have EVER tasted.
    Although I'm not too fond of seafood, this food was
    quite brilliant and better than any Long John Silver meal
    I have ever tasted.

If you are ever in D.C., save your monies and check it out!

Thanks
    In b4 McDonald's

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MattGamer View Post
    Although my recognition of those dishes were obsolete,
    from your ravings I would try all of it! How much did it cost you for a meal!?

I would have to say that the best restaurant I ever
    set foot in was The Oceanaire in Washington D.C.

It had the best cheese cake I have EVER tasted.
    Although I'm not too fond of seafood, this food was
    quite brilliant and better than any Long John Silver meal
    I have ever tasted.

If you are ever in D.C., save your monies and check it out!
    It cost me nothing, im just a teenager with a bit of gold and a pager. and an amazing dad. dont worry though, my time will come when I will be paying for my kids and family.

Well my dad dropped 469,00 Euroes for our 4 person family, keep in mind we all got the approporiate wines with all our dishes, and my sister picked up another round of the Muscat wine because that shit was godly. We actualy picked up a bottle of that wine in the duty free during our trip after. Talking about it makes me feel like driving to the SAQ (canada's govt alcohol store) and getting a bottle. Even though SAQ charges OBSCENE prices for European wines. Especialy French ones. Just my luck eh?

Btw you might ask how I remember the price so well. They actualy print you out the checks on amazing textured paper. Ever seen the movie American Psycho? remember the scene where they are showing off each others business cards on different textured papers? think that, and thats what the check looks like, but much much larger.

I want to post a few more photos.
    Senderens from outside:

Some of the dishes the rest of my family got:

Fillet of red mullet and assorted vegetables in Tempura.
    Wine: Macon Verze 2006 - Domaine Leflaive

[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=175&i=img5744gg6.jpg][IMG]

Roasted wild duck served with beetroot cooked in a salt crust.
    Wine: Energie V, V.D.T du Domaine Viret

[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=384&i=img5751fu8.jpg][IMG]

Butter biscuit with rasberries and its cream with crispy pistachios served in timbale.
    Wine: Ze Bulle- Zero pointe by Mrs. and Mr. Gourdon.

[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=175&i=img5760cv5.jpg][IMG]

I have decided that whenever i go on a trip with my own money with my friends or whatever it may be, I will always take 200$ or so to eat in an amazing Michelin Starred restaurants with reservations made beforehand. It seems like it will always be worth it, and makes the whole day amazing. The day i went to Senderens with my family we went to the Pampidou museum of modern art, that was the most enjoyable museum experience i had to date. What a great day eh?

Whenever I end up in Washington if I ever will, I will make a reservation at that place you said, I can't miss a chance to have a memorable meal.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pavel Sokov For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
    Pavel: Wow that sounds amazing. So there are different
    wines to the different plates? That's brilliant! I'm not too
    much of a wine drinker though, so I don't know how much
    my stomach would enjoy it.

At the Oceaniare, our price was about 150$ with a $30 tip.
    I would do it more often, but where I live (Wyoming) we have
    no fine restaurants as you have shown. Though, when I do
    go to one, I will take many photos!

Thanks
    Pavel Sokov : « Amuse de bouche »? Really? Anyway, there was a HUGE firestorm concerning the michelin star system. I believe one chef commited suicide over loosing his 3rd star one year. Apparently it can make or break a restaurant since the vast majority of restaurant patrons religiously follow the guide. I’m happy to see you made a point to talk about the validity of a 1 star rating

One of my most memorable and perhaps unexpected dining experience was… in the US (shock horror). Although I don’t have any pictures of it, I can tell you it was a cozy little restaurant (I think was a bakery during the day!) in Richmond, VT. Perhaps it was the settings (sundown on a terrace) or how tired we were (7 hours trek in the mountain)… Anyways, we had lobster ravioli and I remember nearly falling out of my chair and rediscovering the true taste of tomato, not that watered-up, flour textured things that pass off as tomatoes in markets today. Anyhow, the entrée pas great, the dish itself made us want to burst into the cuisine and kiss the chef. I don’t remember what was on desert but it was just as amazing. I don’t know why, but the chef did come out to the table at the end of our meal (we didn’t as?) and praised, thanked him for the great meal. After a little discussion on where did he find such amazing products in our broken English, we went back to the B&B and basically that was the ‘apotheosis’ of an amazing day.
    And no, I don’t expect to find a decently price meal that would be worth calling food in the US.

Here in Montreal, there’s a restaurant called “Le petit Plateau”. It’s a gastronomic cuisine microscopic restaurant.
    We also have “Le Pied de Cochon” for the iron clad stomachs also people who like foie-gras (the cromesquis is a life experience). I was EXTREMELY sceptical when a friend of mine talked about a foie-gras poutine. I was shocked at this culinary blasphemy and would’ve called anybody else but her completely batshit crazy for suggesting such a thing. Anyhow, the restaurant itself is amazing; the menu is also well stocked of every kind of amazing meals (and wines). To end the story there, I tried the poutine and loved it. I feel shame in admitting so, but… vv
    Oh and when you go watch a movie at the paramo- sorry I mean the bank scotia cinema, go eat first at L’entrecôte St-Jean. It’s not “La Tour d’argent” but is fairly priced, fair food with good steak and has echoes of a Parisian bristro.
    In Laval (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) north island to Montreal, there’s “Steak Frites St-Paul”. I like my steaks blue or sometimes saignant (Pittsburgh) if I’m not sure of the quality of the meat. Let’s just say I can’t eat a steak (dunno the name of the cut in English) anywhere else now… WOW! Every piece melted on the tongue even though it was blue. The tartelette in desert was also a high moment in my sweet tooth history

The best fish I had was Seawolf (In Dutch?) someplace at a maritime city in Holland. It was a white fleshed, thick slab of finesse that I’ll always remember. If the city/place ever gets back to me next time I’m in Europe, I would definitely try to get back there.

Next time I go to the restaurant, I’ll bring the camera, promis!

Edit: on a side note, I don't like going to high end fine dining restaurants. Most times, they're too "prout prout" and overcharge for something equal you would get from an ingenious chef in a standard restaurant.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MattGamer View Post
    PavelI'm not too
    much of a wine drinker though, so I don't know how much
    my stomach would enjoy it.
    I'm not much of a wine drinker either, but I can tell you good wines will seriously convert you.

Thanks
    The Arroyo Chop House is pretty good. You'll probably spend about $60-$70 per diner, not counting booze, but totally worth it. Recommended salad: barbecue shrimp salad. Recommended sides: the corn and the mushrooms are both great.
    As for the entrees, all are recommended. The steaks will just melt right in your mouth for all practical purposes. I always think of this place when I see that part of The Matrix where Cypher is meeting with Agent Smith and that part of Scarface in the restaurant where Tony gets all drunk and makes a scene.
    http://www.arroyochophouse.com/index2.php

Thanks
    If you like ribs, you have got to try Sticky Fingers Restaurant, truly the best ribs eva! nice place too, jazz and cool atmosphere at all times.
    J.L. ALFARO

"Be who you are and say what you feel,because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

Thanks
    Anything remotely "high class" looking food, sounds disgusting, looks disgusting, and would never get in my mouth

I'll take sweet and sour chicken from my local Chinese place any day.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Justice Von Brandt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by egerie View Post
    Pavel Sokov : « Amuse de bouche »? Really? Anyway, there was a HUGE firestorm concerning the michelin star system. I believe one chef commited suicide over loosing his 3rd star one year. Apparently it can make or break a restaurant since the vast majority of restaurant patrons religiously follow the guide. I’m happy to see you made a point to talk about the validity of a 1 star rating :

Here in Montreal, there’s a restaurant called “Le petit Plateau”.

Edit: on a side note, I don't like going to high end fine dining restaurants. Most times, they're too "prout prout" and overcharge for something equal you would get from an ingenious chef in a standard restaurant.

The stars are extremely important, because only a chef that truly cares can ever earn one. Therefore how could he not be hurt if a star gets taken away? Marco Pierre White, the youngest person to ever recieve a michelin star, was in a car with another important chef who at the time was holding a 2 starred restaurant. Tommorow the michelin food critic was supposed to visit his restaurant at a secret time obviously. Marco asked this chef as they were driving over a bridge in London. "What are you going to do if you dont get your third star tommorow?"
    Jump into the water and drown was the answer. Luckily the chef didn't have to do that, he got his star. But it was obvious he would of done it.

You are from Montreal ? thats great news. Montreal has no michelin stars at all, allthough the best restaurant in montreal "beaver's club" in the queen Elizabeth Hotel is worth at least a star. however the Michelin guide isnt going to bother to come here for one restaurant. The Beaver's Club is the best thing you can get in montreal, and it really is great. The service is very attentive, held by very pleasent waiters. The dishes aren't as insane and innovative as Senderens, what can you do. They dont taste even half as good either, but thats life. I love the Beaver lub, honestly. But I would rather pay 150 euros and have an obnoxiously good meal, then 100 canadian $ and a really really good meal.

At the beaver club i suggest the rack of Piglet. Rack of lamb is my fav dish untill i die, so it was nice to mix it up with a rack of piglet which i never saw anywhere else. Surprisingly the rack of piglet was as great as the rack of lamb, and was overall a great idea. One thing about the beaver club though is that you will end up being stuffed when ur done. One of the fullest stomachs i ever had was at the beaver club. You will exit Senderens with a perfect feeling stomach however.

Other good restaurants, much cheaper then Senderens are restaurants by our local Restarateur who owns these famouse places: 40 west, Ceu de Cheval, and Trinity.

40 west is a steakhouse in the West Island for more or less young spoiled kids with money. Tastes great, gorgeus steaks, but a bit of a load atmosphere for the more young and business oriented. The food isnt innovative, but then again it isnt trying to be.

Ceu de Cheval is Downtown,i prefer this one to 40 west. It is a cigar bar and steak house, with very well aged steaks. I love this place I won't lie. I reccomend. however the service during dinner might be a bit too intense for you, with the white gloves and all. Nevertheless, great steaks.

Trinity is my fav of the 3, it is a Greek restaurant by the same guy, and it has the same quality as the other two, but I like it most because its different in it's cuisine. Great squid, great grilled Lamb Chops. The Service is much more relaxed, the whole atmosphere is very liberal. The Kitchen is actualy an open kitchen, and the fish is displayed on the ice, like in a real market.

I was told to visit Pied De Cochaun and i definately will. L'academie is also a great place, cheap and good.

In Hudson we got Mon Village, where one of my really good friends works there. Very homely atmoshpere, like a cottage, its great. Great cheese bread, very hearty. Love the snails with 4 cheeses over there, very hearty as well. Great steaks, and great pasta. Love that place and my friend that cooks there. When i go he hooks us up with obnoxiously large portions of things, i couldnt even finish everything saturday.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JL.Alfaro View Post
    If you like ribs, you have got to try Sticky Fingers Restaurant, truly the best ribs eva! nice place too, jazz and cool atmosphere at all times.
    Who doesn't like ribs?

Where is this place?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 427 Posts
    Nijo (AMAZING Sushi) and the Dahlia lounge (try the crabcakes and the donuts) in Seattle, WA
    Uchi (the hot river rock scallops and wagyu beef and the sashimi are to die for) and The Clay Pit (best Indian around) in Austin, TX

Groove takes me to the best places

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast