Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: my... sketchbook (SMALL Update~ 6/30/09)

Thanks

my... sketchbook (SMALL Update~ 6/30/09)

A bit about me:

I was once an art student, went to college for illustration, had to leave for financial reasons, spent many years doing nothing artistic (and my skills degraded) and now over the past 1.5-2 years I have been slowly trying (trying being the operative word) to re-learn and hopefully GROW as an artist.

Here are a few quick studies from my last trip to the MFA, a quick study of the taps at my local watering hole, and the LAST one being a quick sketch I did today!

I would love some thoughts, crits, opinions, input ... and thank you!

(((UPDATES AT THE BOTTOM OF THREAD)))
    Last edited by astroluc; June 30th, 2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: updated
    "The pressure to be something I was not was constant and unrelenting. It was a battle to maintain a sense of authentic self when that self was still in the developmental stages."

Portfolio
    Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    here's a couple more recent sketches; any and all crits/comments appreciated!

more to come
    Last edited by astroluc; July 9th, 2008 at 08:06 PM. Reason: added image
    "The pressure to be something I was not was constant and unrelenting. It was a battle to maintain a sense of authentic self when that self was still in the developmental stages."

Portfolio
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    a few of my older sketches to put some perspective into my progress... these are in descending order from newest (top) to oldest (bottom) with the most recent being about 6 mo. old and the oldest being about 12 YEARS old... with a large gap somewhere in the late 90s to the early-mid 00s

(don't mind the watermarks... I yanked these from my another online gallery of mine to save time in resizing! )

Portfolio
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    one more recent sketch

Portfolio
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    nice pencils astroluc, I'll try to find some crits after posting some more work .
    Now I can only suggest to keep drawing .

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyno For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyno View Post
    nice pencils astroluc, I'll try to find some crits after posting some more work .
    Now I can only suggest to keep drawing .
    hah! will do, thanks

Portfolio
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    one relatively recent one and one older on (about 4 years old! yikes)

Portfolio
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    **7/16/08

The first one is a bit silly, but recent...

the second is still "in progress"

The rest are just simple sketches.

Portfolio
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    a quick study of George Carlin done during he last HBO special, a couple months before he died, and a few more from the past 2 months

Portfolio
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    just looking for a few thoughts?! pros, cons, advice, etc..?

Portfolio
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    seriously... 150+ views and only one reply other than me?!

Portfolio
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 553 Posts
    piece of advice... the hatching you're doing for tone is distracting sometimes. when your hatching or parallel line strokes leave spaces between them that are close to the same size as the features you're actually trying to draw, it confuses the eye.

in other words: ||||||||i||||||||||||||||||||||
    from a distance it's messy to see that you were trying to include the "i" detail.

hatching is difficult.

you probably need to change whatever medium you're using or use it differently to make some progress easier. right now, it looks like you're trying to do some quick shading with a small tool over a large area. you get impatient or bored and hatch it quickly just to fill it in and get back to the good stuff, but it looks a little distracting.

for now, if i were you, i would focus on drawing cleanly and accurately with confidence. lame as it might sound, the best way for some people to do that is by tracing photographs. since the tracing paper blurs what you can see of the photograph and since there are no real "lines" in nature, this teaches you to make a decision about where to put a line, for what reason, how to separate light from shadow, how to organize interesting shapes, and where to put soft and hard edges. what it also helps with is avoiding the nervousness when trying to capture a likeness and avoiding proportion mistakes.

in other words, it reduces drawing to a decision-making process that trains your eye. without a good eye, you can't tell whether your hand is behaving itself or not.

hope that helps. good luck.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsears View Post
    piece of advice... the hatching you're doing for tone is distracting sometimes. when your hatching or parallel line strokes leave spaces between them that are close to the same size as the features you're actually trying to draw, it confuses the eye.

in other words: ||||||||i||||||||||||||||||||||
    from a distance it's messy to see that you were trying to include the "i" detail.

hatching is difficult.

you probably need to change whatever medium you're using or use it differently to make some progress easier. right now, it looks like you're trying to do some quick shading with a small tool over a large area. you get impatient or bored and hatch it quickly just to fill it in and get back to the good stuff, but it looks a little distracting.

for now, if i were you, i would focus on drawing cleanly and accurately with confidence. lame as it might sound, the best way for some people to do that is by tracing photographs. since the tracing paper blurs what you can see of the photograph and since there are no real "lines" in nature, this teaches you to make a decision about where to put a line, for what reason, how to separate light from shadow, how to organize interesting shapes, and where to put soft and hard edges. what it also helps with is avoiding the nervousness when trying to capture a likeness and avoiding proportion mistakes.

in other words, it reduces drawing to a decision-making process that trains your eye. without a good eye, you can't tell whether your hand is behaving itself or not.

hope that helps. good luck.
    a lot of it is the medium (and the media!) as I use a .7mm HB lead on a heavilly toothed paper for my sketch-books but I certainly won't argue with the rushing part!! I always rush my sketches... always have. I also seem to like the idea of my sketchbook looking rough and almost aggressive!! I don't like to spend too much time on idea sketches, but I do like to spend a little more time on studies... but never as much as a refined piece, though I think that can go without saying (he says after he says it).

There is an example of some of my more refined work HERE just to give you a bit more insight into my work.

I hear you on the photograph thing, though... in my effort to re-learn a lot of the old skills I should re-do the old excersises, and I can honestly say I can't recall much of my earlier training so any suggestion is welcome!

Thank you very much for your thoughts, do you have any other thoughts or critiques on the anatomy or any other of the technincal aspects of my work?

Portfolio
    Sketchbook

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast