Traditional portait of a young girl.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Traditional portait of a young girl.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Traditional portait of a young girl.

Something new I'm not sure I want to push any further. But I want it to be a strong and convincing image.

What do you guys think?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Andrew Weaver; July 9th, 2008 at 05:32 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like it but I think there needs to be more value in the face. (or color, but then again I am color obsessed) I think if you darkened some of the shadows it would look more finished.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
    I like it but I think there needs to be more value in the face. (or color, but then again I am color obsessed) I think if you darkened some of the shadows it would look more finished.

Clessy is right that the values need to be pushed further so that means stronger shadows and highlights and right now you have good mid tones so it really boils down to the matter of guts of pushing the piece. We have all been there. I really feel that this piece is coming along and it looks strong so far but unfinished but I think we would all like to see your reference. The only thing that I think that may be off is her left eye *( our right) and that maybe it may be closer in, just slightly mind you. Keep us posted.

Hopes this helps.

Imagination is not a total internal power but rather it is a reflection and multi-faceted projection of our experiences and knowledge. We take in information from the world around us and intuitively re-order it into something new. Something is not created from nothing but simply transformed from what was before.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 908 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    she's very pretty, the colors are nice and muted, giving your portrait a very classic feel.
    If what you mean by convincing is true to the person's likeness, I can't help you there, since no ref is around for me to compare or anything.
    But if you want strong, maybe you can darken those crisp lines of your if you prefer not to define by value. :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yesh, it looks nice...

it has kind of an Art Nouveau feel to it. So another option to make it look finished, instead of pushing the values in the face, is to keep the shading subtle as is and throw down some more defined outlines. Maybe simplify the background and lose a bit of the texture, and put a nice muted cooler colour in there. maybe up the contrast in a few well-chosen places, like her eyes.

I dunno, take this with a grain of salt...I have big problems myself.

EDIT: I like the contrast of the traditional clothing with the lip ring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the image needs more balancing tonally. At the moment all of the darkest darks and lightest lights are in the bottom right of the image - whereas they should be in the area you want people to look at the most. Her dark top really stands out, but nothing about her face does - the eyes should be as dark as the top so they stand out more. Perhaps the cloth around the head could be darker to make it stand out from the midtone - or the skin could be lighter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you squint and look at this, the only thing you see is the left shoulder and the dark of her vest. The rest disappears in the background, ( the eyes are kinda there).

I'd knock back these two contrasts and try to bring more attention to the face.You need to pop her out of the background...unless that's an effect you're going for...

There is a shape under the left ear that I can't tell if it's dark hair or shadow...of course my video card ram is shot and I'm about to have a seizure from all the flashing dots on my screen I'm trying to look through now...er, anyway,

I would at least go over and darken the linework varying up the line weight.

It's a really nice looking face I gotta say, nice work!

You are a level 8 ninja and even though you have a lot of weapons sometimes your ninja moves are your most powerful.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.