VOTE! Open Challenge of Ultimate Destiny!

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for one

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Asatira

0 0%
  • ChaoticKnight

17 44.74%
  • Etcheberri

0 0%
  • Ilaekae

1 2.63%
  • Jason Rainville

4 10.53%
  • Lake

14 36.84%
  • lord_regenschirm

2 5.26%
  • The Whistler

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts

VOTE! Open Challenge of Ultimate Destiny!

To recap; this challenge was to create an illustration that followed the theme "Divine Prophecy" Vote for the one you think is the best!

Great job guys, hope to do this again sometime.

In alphabetical order...

Asatira...

ChaoticKnight...

Etcheberri...

Ilaekae...

Jason Rainville...

Lake...

lord_regenschirm...

The Whistler...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    went with Lake on this, close call on some though.

Thanks
    Voted for ChaoticKnight - I'll toss up crits later

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.
    .SKETCH.
    .CGHUB PAGE.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Panda-man's got it. Great job

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    ChaoticKnight got mine... I can see this as Divine Prophesy--maybe not looking too good for us mortals, but certainly Divine Prophesy...

The first thing I look at in a competition like this is how well did the artist portray the theme (solve the problem), then I look at execution. The best combination gets my vote. Many of the other entries didn't come across as Divine prophesy so much as they did Salvation/Dogmatic Rules/Inspiration/discovery. This bothered me a bit...

Overall, very nice art from all, though, and some nice imagery.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MattGamer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ilakeae got my vote.

"It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Asatira For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Had to go with Lake, though this was an amazing batch. His really tells a story to me; and it's a badass one.

Thanks
    Voted for ChaoticKnight I liked the overall execution of his piece, and it does portray the theme very well.

I also liked Etcheberri's as well, good use of elements, but to me the focal point seems to be the door in which the soldiers/guards are coming in, rather than the figure, as was probably intended. But that's just my silly opinion.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Lex.W For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Lake got mine too, I voted it because I think it's technically very well done, it has the 'epic' feel for me, and it very well fits the subject

There were more I wanted to vote for but I had to chose one only...

Now for the other crits (not that I'm in a position to give those since I don't draw that well... YET ) :

Asatira- I don't think you've overused the textures on this one, and it's not the textures that bother me here. As the face is the main focus of your picture you seem to have some problems with it's anatomy, and by that I mean that her nose is a tad long and her mouth are too low on the chin. You also seem to hide the other hand which is not that good. Still I think that this sis one of your better ones (I visited your DA gallery since I had some problems with accessing your sketchbook) and it does show some improvement

ChaoticKnight - wow, I don't even know what to say about yours, I'm definitely not in a position to crit, it's wonderfully done, the skull looks almost real, I really like it.

Etcheberry - really well done also, but I agree with Lex.W about the focal point, the figure and the door seem to be fighting for my attention. But as far as technical stuff goes, you did great

Ilakae - his mustache rock, and for some reason I can't stop staring at his nipple I like this one too, it's nice to finally see some work by you. I can't really crit this since there's nothing wrong with this. If I understood correctly you used only vectors for this thing? Man, how much patience do you have?

Jason Rainville - I really like the composition and I thing your piece fits the subject very well, my only crit would be that her face seems a bit masculine but that's all. Your clouds kick ass...

lord_regenschirm - I like the fairies and your character looks good overall, but the painting seems messy and unfinished (which is also the problem with my entry). Otherwise nicely done

Sketchbook .... Blog .... DevArt .... Tumblr

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Whistler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    great job everybody!
    @LexW and The Whislter.
    Thanks guys. yes i screwed up on the focal point, at least i learn something out of it

My vote goes for Lake, really nice composition and i love the speedpainting look.

Thanks
    My vote goes for Lake, i love the colours and pretty much everything else about it.

Sketchbook

See the TURTLE of enormous girth!
    On his shell he holds the earth.
    His thought is slow but always kind;
    He holds us all within his mind.

Thanks
    Chaotic Knight got my vote, although I have to say that the (sorry for being that harsh) totally messed up socket-design kinda confuses me ...

@ Asatira: You maybe should have given your character something to interact with for the paintings expression seems (besides the technical composition) too flat to me; the rising smoke binds your worshiper pretty well though.

@ Etcheberri: Cool staging of the monk and the lighting is done pretty well ... Unfortunately the silhouettes of the two guys entering the hall seem to be out of proportion to me.

@ Ilaekae: What is it with you and these variations of my name you lunatic cat ...?! Btw. your graphic went out nicely (especially that nippel which definitely has something hypnotic ...); the hand with the eye on it shoud have been done with a bit more concentration on perspective.
    On the other hand you explicitly went for an egyptian motive ... you clever litte quadruped ...

@ Jason: Technically bad ass, really like this nebula-like gate ... Just went for Chaotic because of the cooler motive ...

@ Lake: I'm regularly astonished about what can be achieved with a few well placed strokes ... Great job on that one!

@ the Whistler: The classic motive of the newly discovered inscription ... A bit worn out for my taste, but you did a solid job on that one; as far as your characters anatomy is concerned take a look at her right arm ... Seems to be a weird angle she splays it out in.
    Btw thanks for you crit, I already mentioned the problems I had with the too early merged layers ... I'm definitely not the illustrator yet ...

No skill still isn't a new side.
    ~ Arnold Böcklin

Visit my sketchbook-gallery kinda thing ...

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lord_regenschirm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    the Whistler: Thanks for the crit. I agree on the face. More practice and study needed.
    lord_regenschirm: Thanks.

"It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

Thanks
    OMiGawd! I actually got a vote! Thank you, Asatira...

Whistler, the main piece is vector, as are most of my things. I lay down the basic color structure (usually a dark complementary base) in vector fill, then transport the whole thing layer by layer to PS for a kind of "dry-brush painting" with textured brushes, working from dark to light. So it's not all vector, just the original base art.

I went for a "flat" head-on stiff presentation because I wanted to reinforce a classic "religious" feel, something like a Russian icon.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    No comment on my offense Ilaekae ... ? How untypical
    Seemingly nobody likes my goat ... xD (<-- and why is there no smiley with cross-eyes ...?)

~ Arnold Böcklin

Thanks
    Aaaaaahhhhh...

Did I hurt your feelings, my little Herr Lard Squirmy...?

...and i do thank you for the kind words about my piece. I enter for the fun of it and to annoy people because I don't really do what this place is all about...

Thanks
    Hehe ... Naah, it made a nice change after all

~ Arnold Böcklin

Thanks
    Ilaekae - oh so that's how. I was just amazed by the vector thing because, as far as it was explained to me, it's something like the pen tool in photoshop and I hate the damn thing, it never seems to do what I want it to

Thanks
    Vector is counter-intuitive for most people at first. In real life, we draw from end of line to end of line, changing direction so to speak at each end. Vector is mathematical, where you draw from end point to end point, but the change in direction of the line occurs in the middle (more or less) of the line you're drawing. It's kind of like drawing with springy pieces of metal wire and joining them all together at the ends.

But, once you get the hang of it, it's the best way to draw a flowing line ever created...and you can go back and refine it when you're done.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Cool challenge, the topic is way cool, wish I had seen it earlier so I could've participated!

Really nice entries, I like how different they are. I do agree that not everyone nailed the concept, IMO, but good illustrations nonetheless.

My vote goes to Jason. Technically awesome! Really dig the compositionm how the rest of the environment is just this rural village with the little houses to the left--and then, bam! One huge divine prophecy.

I know some have pointed out her being masculine, but I actually rather like the androgynous feel. Makes the prophecy somewhat unreal and otherwordly, which she is.

Again, nice round. Any chance you'll make another one someday soon?

sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

31. The Following User Says Thank You to AsaB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    Vector is counter-intuitive for most people at first.

But, once you get the hang of it, it's the best way to draw a flowing line ever created...and you can go back and refine it when you're done.
    Agreed. I recommend that any digital painter learn how to use illustrator - I used the pen tool in photoshop to map out the curves of the scroll in my image. Perfect curves are a MUST, especially when you're trying to simulate gravity.

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.
    .SKETCH.
    .CGHUB PAGE.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Lake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Asatira: I like the animated-feature look of it as well as the texture! Only thing I'm confused by is where the light source is coming from.
    @etcheberri: The dude in the foreground is rendered out really well, and the church curves add a nice touch to the composition. However, the right side is largely empty. Maybe some props would've done well? Like pews or hanging incense. And, as was said, Those knights look kinda cartoony in comparison to the main figure.
    @Ilaekae: I love the overall feel of the piece. There's some beautiful line work going on (I don't know vector either), and the texture and overall look of the piece reminds me of a page out of a book about mythology.
    @Mr. Jason: I really like the essence of light in this pic, especially the rune behind her head. As I'm sure was said, her arms and swords are looking a bit odd with the foreshortening you gave them. Maybe put some more intricacy in those swords too, they kinda look like painted cardboard. Nice job!
    @Lake: This got my vote! Beautifully rendered piece. I love the atmosphere and the way his arm goes back into space and the color affects it since he (it) is so huge. I'm not sure how "divine" he is but I definitely see the prophecy part. The arm with the sword is the best haha.
    @lord_regenschirm: Nice piece dude. I love the blending and rendering in his face, and that goat is pretty awesome. The goat reminds me of something from one of Kev Ferrera's comics.
    @The Whistler: Her pose is confusing to me, she must be uncomfortable with her hand like that. I see what you were going for, but its still a bit awkward. It might be because her proportions are a bit long. Love the stone and the glowing writing. Also, next time you may want to make the fire more saturated.

Whew. Nice round everyone! Let's do this again soon!

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChaoticKnight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Haha ... That deserves an extra large pot of phinest highland goat-milk ... Thanks Chaotic

~ Arnold Böcklin

Thanks
    Thanks Chaotic! Yeah, a huge mistake by me was not using reference for this one, that's why she's all wonky but I couldn't help it, It frustrates me that if I ever want to draw something right I have to look at reference. I guess it's still a must until I get my skills fixed up...

I'll do better next time

Thanks
    @ the Whistler: I bet many guys told you so before but the absolute must-do is to study anatomy ... there is no other way existing. To work with references will become exhausting pretty soon especially when you are searching for a very special pose.
    You don't necessarily have to know about each and every muscle or the exact form of each bone but an abstract knowledge of the most important characteristics of the overall composition is very useful. Start with proportions and extremity-lengths and you soon will be able to constuct individual poses by very simple rules.

~ Arnold Böcklin

Thanks
    Yeah I know that but right now I'm at a point where I know how e.g. a knee looks underneath the skin, I know what kind of muscles surround it and how it should look like, but I just can't get it right without looking at reference and it's driving me crazy and making me feel incompetent. It's about practice basically...

40. The Following User Says Thank You to The Whistler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    We gonna do something like this again, Guys, so I can prove I'm not just a one-shot loser?

Thanks
    My favorite is the painting by lord_regenschirm mainly for its dramatic angle and dappled light. My second favorite would be the painting by Lake for its colors and drama.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to deepbluehue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    close second ilaekae, I didn't even notice it was yours, i really dig the use of color in your piece but not so much the eyes....

i had to go with chaoticknight because death just rules...

---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

45. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Izi For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.