~SPORE SG OFFICIAL thread~ life drawing 1st May ~ - Page 14
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not Singaporean, but I've lived here for 3 years...I hope I'm not disqualified from answering.

back when i didn't know anyone in singapore, one of the first people I met was a traditional artist who carried his easel and giant leather folio around with him everywhere. so i never picked up on the attitude that singaporeans were uptight about people sketching in public...me and this guy have sketched at mcdonald's, by esplanade, walking down orchard road stopping every few meters or so, on the train...I was probably introduced to singapore culture the wrong way by this guy, so it never really bothered me to sketch by myself in a public place. i even get occassional nice folks at coffee shops who'll start a little conversation because they're curious about what you're doing. there's going to be some people who find it strange, but for the most part, it's fine not to care about what random people in public think. it isn't strange at all man, it's only drawing.

It's got to be more than a memory, or is life just a fantasy and a piss in the sand?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowfly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Zord View Post
    My advice is this- just go out and draw. It's as simple as that. It's really no big deal and there's nothing to be afraid of. Carry a sketchbook with you everywhere and it'll become habit. And sooner or later it'll be second nature. And regarding what other people think of you- honestly, does it matter? You should be thinking more about filling that sketchbook of yours and learning as much as you can.
    Thanks Zord! One of the things I fear is to appear on STOMP with my photo and some headline about some weirdo / freak.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfly View Post
    I was probably introduced to singapore culture the wrong way by this guy,
    That's a wonderful blessing in disguise.

so it never really bothered me to sketch by myself in a public place. i even get occassional nice folks at coffee shops who'll start a little conversation because they're curious about what you're doing. there's going to be some people who find it strange, but for the most part, it's fine not to care about what random people in public think. it isn't strange at all man, it's only drawing.
    If you don't mind, what are some of the questions they ask? Like, "What are you drawing?" etc.?

I'm gonna get a sketchbook and try it tomorrow.

To be honest, it REALLY is scary for me.
    I would gladly walk up to some random pretty girl and talk with her than to umm....draw in public.

Last edited by Xeon_OND; October 22nd, 2009 at 10:23 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon_OND View Post
    If you don't mind, what are some of the questions they ask? Like, "What are you drawing?" etc.?
    infinite variations of "are you an artist?" usually! sometimes they just want to share about their own interest in art, or someone they know who is an artist, which is also cool.

It's got to be more than a memory, or is life just a fantasy and a piss in the sand?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowfly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    infinite variations of "are you an artist?" usually! sometimes they just want to share about their own interest in art, or someone they know who is an artist, which is also cool.
    Wow, I see. So, you sketch in the heartlands too? Around HDBs, coffee shops? I think people in the city area may be more open but heartland folks may be more conservative.

Thanks for your insight, though!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sure have, especially at the hawkers near my place at clementi. couple of highlights are 1. scoring a free meal from the auntie at the scissors cut rice stall in exchange for a drawing of a dragon (her husband was born in the year of the dragon), and 2. getting one of the girls serving drinks to pose for a picture because i told her i was too busy to sketch her at the time. i'll put the photo up when i find it, it's pretty funny. i find they're generally less nosy at the hawkers though.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowfly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

sure have, especially at the hawkers near my place at clementi. couple of highlights are 1. scoring a free meal from the auntie at the scissors cut rice stall in exchange for a drawing of a dragon (her husband was born in the year of the dragon), and 2. getting one of the girls serving drinks to pose for a picture because i told her i was too busy to sketch her at the time. i'll put the photo up when i find it, it's pretty funny. i find they're generally less nosy at the hawkers though.
    Wow, thanks for sharing your experience! Btw, in cases whereby people keep talking to you / disturbing you, do you have methods to "brush them off"? Or maybe you never encountered such cases before.

I understand, though, that drawing in public will attract quite a bit of people coming up to talk to you, as mentioned in Betty Edwards' book!

Maybe I should wear a t-shirt with "FUCK OFF" printed on the front and back of my t-shirt.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon_OND View Post
    Btw, in cases whereby people keep talking to you / disturbing you, do you have methods to "brush them off"?
    Yeah I do have a way to sketch undisturbed actually! It's called, drawing at home.

j/k, just thank them politely and get back to drawing. wearing giant headphones also generally makes you unapproachable. or, join sketch group tomorrow if there's a meetup planned. safety in numbers.

anyway, i'm off to the dentist. have fun sketching tomorrow, nice studies in your sketch thread btw.

Last edited by Snowfly; October 23rd, 2009 at 12:36 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowfly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    soooo whats on tml??

-JS Neo

"Choose only one master.. Nature. " Rembrandt

"The only time I feel alive is when I'm painting." Van Gogh
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Fine Art Journey - Feel Free to come in and take a look !!

Sketchbook - Less Update !!

My Art Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Yeah I do have a way to sketch undisturbed actually! It's called, drawing at home.

j/k, just thank them politely and get back to drawing. wearing giant headphones also generally makes you unapproachable. or, join sketch group tomorrow if there's a meetup planned. safety in numbers.
    Ha ha, good idea! Why didn't I think of that! I do have a giant stereo headset with the muffles 3/4 the size of my head.

tomorrow, nice studies in your sketch thread btw.
    LOL, thanks. Nice to meet someone who works at Electronic Arts Singapore.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i sketch almost everyday on the train to sch and back from sch. there are a few curious people who seats beside me who would comment and i would just say thanks. but mostly singaporeans are very shy. when you draw them they will look away. they are probably more embarassed that you are drawing them instead of you being embarassed of how they look at you. hope that helps

another way to go unnoticed/unapproachable is to wear cap + sunglasses + headphones loll

15. The Following User Says Thank You to reme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Honestly, if you're interested in drawing, just draw. It doesn't matter what people think or what people say. You're not doing anything illegal and there's nothing to be scared of. Concentrate on what you want to improve on and the rest will follow. I've never given second thought on sketching people outside and have never had a problem with it. Forget all of your hesitation and just go through with it. It won't hurt, promise.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zord For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If anyone see this, lets meet up maybe 230 at orchard mrt? we can sketch at one of the cafe near there. Msn me if anyone is coming

Last edited by JS Neo; October 23rd, 2009 at 10:54 PM.
    -JS Neo

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Art Blog

19. The Following User Says Thank You to JS Neo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Xeon, Zord is right, just draw. Something funny is that ever since 2nd year in poly, having a sketchbook with me everywhere i go becomes second nature, i feel naked if i go out without it. Don't waste time on STOMP or whatever websites for that matter, if you wanna improve, just draw.

I haven't been bothered much when i am drawing alone outside, but if you are REALLY paranoid draw at home! There are many references there as well, or work with pictures.

Xeon if you want to join us later please feel free to. I'll see you guys later!

EDIT!!! : WE ARE MEETING AT CITY HALL INSTEAD, 2.30pm!

Last edited by shamandalie; October 24th, 2009 at 12:45 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to shamandalie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by krytos View Post
    i sketch almost everyday on the train to sch and back from sch. there are a few curious people who seats beside me who would comment and i would just say thanks. but mostly singaporeans are very shy. when you draw them they will look away. they are probably more embarassed that you are drawing them instead of you being embarassed of how they look at you. hope that helps
    Whoa, I really admire your guts for drawing people in MRT when they're sitting in front of you etc. For me, that's kind of extreme and it's better to be careful not to offend some people who may be a bit "xiao" in the mind and beat you up (gangsters etc).
    Some folks a bit bit also cannot, very easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Zord View Post
    Honestly, if you're interested in drawing, just draw. It doesn't matter what people think or what people say. You're not doing anything illegal and there's nothing to be scared of. Concentrate on what you want to improve on and the rest will follow. I've never given second thought on sketching people outside and have never had a problem with it. Forget all of your hesitation and just go through with it. It won't hurt, promise.
    Yep, I've made the 1st step by buying a sketchbook today. It's kind of a small sketch book (about 70% of A4 size), but the backcover is very hard and good, and the pages are dotted and can be tore out if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by shamandalie View Post
    Something funny is that ever since 2nd year in poly, having a sketchbook with me everywhere i go becomes second nature, i feel naked if i go out without it. Don't waste time on STOMP or whatever websites for that matter, if you wanna improve, just draw.
    For the record, I've cut down 99% of my time visiting local chit-chat forums, video games and whatnot.

Xeon if you want to join us later please feel free to. I'll see you guys later!
    Thanks for the invitation! I prefer to train a bit and get better first. Otherwise, sketching with a group of master artists will reduce my confidence.

Btw, I listened to you guys' advice and went to ArtFriend today at Bras Basah. Seems that although the store size is smaller than the one at Taka, the variety REALLY is more (very cram shopping space, though.....a bit uncomfortable).

I got a mini manikin, a 8" female manikin, some basic shapes (styrofoam cones, cubes, cylinders, stars etc.) and my SB.

Over there, I also saw ArtMark (another art store) and it seems this "Palin School of Arts" is also inside ArtMark. Also saw the Popular bookstore HQ (that 3 storey one). They sell quite a bit of art instruction books but the range is nothing compared to Kinokuniya's.

See you all,
    Xeon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

24. The Following User Says Thank You to shyamshriram For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by shyamshriram View Post
    Science Centre will be the best place to draw till 6 Mar 2010

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...013663/1/.html
    Those are fine treasures for people who draw anatomy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    couldn't make it for the last CA outing.. any chance happening this week?

Daily Sketchbook
    Come by and have a peep

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will be heading down to Dr Sketchy this week .... any one who wants to come can come along...

-JS Neo

My Art Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Ummm....sorry for always asking questions here, but anyone has heard of International School of Design and Technology? I'm thinking of taking this course at: http://www.isdt.edu.sg/courses/dcmd.htm

Originally, I'm supposed to wait for ITE to start their Digital Media Design course in Jan 2010, but I just realized they phased out this course, and now I dunno where to go.

Laselle, First Media Design School and that Otis College (spelling?) are too expensive for me (most of these requires respectable portfolios), and I'm working full-time.

That course in ISDT is the next best thing for me now.

Maybe someone can advise as I'm quite lost.
    My original plan was to take up Digital Media Design at ITE and practice drawing on myself, but now...

I want to be an illustrator in future (I know it's a near impossible dream but I would like to try my best first), and having a cert is always a good back-up (at least it will silence my parents a bit).

Thanks!
    Xeon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Xeon, you can try and check out the polys if you want to join digital media design. I'm sure most of them have it.

Mydrako is going for Dr. Sketchy, but me no can afford it till i have my next upcoming job. Can we go to the Science Centre for body worlds in December instead?

I'm probably doing the same thing like last week, drawing in food courts/coffeeshop. Timing and place will be confirmed later. Anybody in, give me a buzz aite?

30. The Following User Says Thank You to shamandalie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by shamandalie View Post
    Xeon, you can try and check out the polys if you want to join digital media design. I'm sure most of them have it.

Mydrako is going for Dr. Sketchy, but me no can afford it till i have my next upcoming job. Can we go to the Science Centre for body worlds in December instead?

I'm probably doing the same thing like last week, drawing in food courts/coffeeshop. Timing and place will be confirmed later. Anybody in, give me a buzz aite?
    Im in girl, but probably can only make in during the afternoon, might be catching a horror movie in the evening (Darah -_-)

Daily Sketchbook
    Come by and have a peep

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright guys i'm setting the time. We'll be going to the same place that we were last week, the food court. Seems like a nice place and there are so many people to draw.

Meet at 12.30pm at Raffles City at Starbucks, just up the escalator from City Hall MRT. Anything call/sms ya. See you guys tomorrow! (Whoever's that coming! )

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shamandalie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    see u guys later

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's no sad, no one came last week! D: I hope that Dr. Sketchy went well though.

EDIT: I guess i'm not going for this week's one.
    Prolly the next or after that. I'm going through really really dry financial situations. D:

Continue planning guys if you are up for it.

Last edited by shamandalie; November 6th, 2009 at 01:14 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dr Sketchy is great !!.. I can show u what i draw next time..

Unfortunately i cant come tml again cos i need to bring my computer for repair... So other people please get ur ass off ur chair and go sketch XD

-JS Neo

My Art Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyone going to OIC portrait day tomorrow?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi..just wondering is it too late for me to joining the community here? i only got to go to OIC and Dr.Sketchy...i want to meet new people moar moar..!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kuji theres nothing like that, u can join us at any day
    hopefully we will be meeting this saturday...I will be going to Botanical Garden this saturday..anyone wants to join?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i want to join!!! school's holiday, i can do anything that i want hehehe.... what time?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well..im going there for the first time..have to check the route and timing..how about 12 pm? hope to see other familiar faces too

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2