C.O.W. - #117: Explosive Bug - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there!
    This is my first COW participation and I hope I'll finish my work before deadline ( I'm such a lazy bum! )
    I want to create a bug that climb trees and hunt slug-like creatures wchich have hard carapace and crawl on the ground. That explosive bug can grow explosive acid bombs on it's body and is equipped with four arms to throw them. After air stike buggy falls down on what's left from a slug and eat all that messy soup . All comments and suggestions are most welcome.

C.O.W. - #117: Explosive Bug

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so how do I know its good enough to be in the finals thread? this is my reworking of the first bug to make it a bit more sinister looking. Ive changed my mind a bit about the sack. It is used for attraction and mating and looks similar to a lava lamp. It still has a secondary defensive ability. The sack would fire out instead of stay attached before exploding.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Thatz Comedy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since the deadline's extended I think I'll slip an entry in- within a couple days.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Fire Bugs!!

I loved the Deep topic (not that I got anything done for it. ho hum), but it was a bit much. They should make a new forum for those giant... PROJECTS. dun dun Dun!!! That way we'll have comfy little weeklies, as well as the big mothas'. pld:

Anyway, Fire bugs. Heres my initial sketch. C.O.W. - #117: Explosive Bug
    They're like cockroaches with horns, except the chitinous 'wing covers' have holes in them. But when they open their carapacess (spelt right?) they have no wings (they're a kind of flightless bettle). Instead there are little spouty things sticking out of their backs.
    These take in water through the holes in the shell when the wings are closed, where it mixes with a natural chemical in their bodies to form an adhesive goop. Said goop can then be squirted from the spouts when the 'wings' are up. When it oxidises, the goop reacts violently, and bursts into flames. It takes a few seconds for for the goop to explode, so the bugs have a range of a good few feet.
    These flames are used as mating signals (naturally), the bigger/further/brighter the flame, the better the bug etc.
    Its also used for defence. You wouldn't want to get your shins sprayed by this little critter, as the stuff don't come off.
    That was a stupidly long post for such a crappy sketch. lol Oh well
    If anyones got any crit, I'd be very grateful. I need all the help I can get

Last edited by St. Ginger; July 11th, 2008 at 05:16 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nubb:I like what you have so far, hope you can finnish

bluez:nice design

Scorge:Thanks a lot for the tips, I'll give it a shot. Nice work with your creature insect by the way, clean lines

Here is my grey scale on my male insect, my idea is the female lays her eggs covered in a chemical that reacts the packets of sperm on the males back, making them expand and burst fertilizing any egg near by.

scared to add color

Last edited by Arteater; July 10th, 2008 at 09:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bluez3023 View Post
    so how do I know its good enough to be in the finals thread? this is my reworking of the first bug to make it a bit more sinister looking. Ive changed my mind a bit about the sack. It is used for attraction and mating and looks similar to a lava lamp. It still has a secondary defensive ability. The sack would fire out instead of stay attached before exploding.
    Your pencils are great, but have until the 15th, so you've got plenty of time to really make this shine. I'd either ink it or paint it (depending on what you're best at) and also draw something to indicate how it uses explosives (like I did with my little comic at the bottom of my pic.)
    The only critisism I have is that it looks a lot like the baneling concept art from starcraft two
    http://www.starcraft2.com/features/zerg/baneling.xml (it's mostly in how you shaped the feet into claws)

Quote Originally Posted by voraz View Post
    not sure I will be able to finish this, but here's a WIP:

This guy has a container filled with an organic explosive, produced by his "bomb glands". This explosive is kept in the upper part of his body in a capsule, this capsule is thick except on the top, so when the explosive bursts it makes a directed explosion outwards, without harming the bug, but maiming whatever stupid predator has this guy in his mouth, despite the warning red head, specific of this species.
    This protective bomb however isn't free of costs and can explode prematurely without apparent reason, leaving the bug with no protection and little potential to find a sexual mate. Also it is common for the bomb to go off during mating, toasting the bugs sexual partner.

This really looks more like a robot to me than an insect :/
    Maybe try a different color scheme and add little details like little hairs\feelers\doodads.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey,
    this topic sounds quite interesting and i really have to do more creatures...so i thougt i can join this round.
    this first picture is still in progress...i will do another one with an different angle and backgorund etc...this one is only for the design.
    critique would be nice
    ...and sorry for my bad english...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nubb
    I am not sure, but i can't spot anything buglike there....looks more like a lizard-monkey mix....really guys be sure to make some kind of bug...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres a couple sketches I did the other day. I decided on the one on top because the ant... well... it isnt unique at all, as much as i enjoy the idea of a jihadist ant.

I have done a couple different renditions of the top idea, but my scanner is retarded and its not even on this computer so its an enormous pain the ass to keep scanning stuff. SO there ya have it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arteater: Thanks. Hope You'll take Your bug to the finish to
    klecksotopianer: Nice color, nice design. I realy like the piece

And another step of my bug. Hope I'm going the right way :/

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a pencil and then rotary pen sketch of my final design.

The name Explosive bug comes from two sources. The first is during the creatures young life it is first encased in a shell, 4 months into the creatures life it becomes pregnant and explodes from the shell. As the growing baby bugs grows within the creature, the creatures balances starts to waver. Once the baby bugs has grown large enough, the weight has become too heavy for the creature to hold and topples over, busting the soft tissue, where the baby bugs explode from the creature.

Bad explanation, I will tweak it later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fozzybar: That's just what I was afraid of, so I've made some corrections. More anatomical changes to be shown ( I think I'll reduce the size of those monkey hands ) Hope it fits more now and I hope it'll fit precisely soon. Thanks for pointing that.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Nubb:

I think the reason why it still does not seem like a bug is because it does not have any bug characteristics. Add vices, multiple eyes, external skeleton, etc

klecksotopianer:

One of my more favourite designs this round. Try to keep this design until the end! I think it works well.

Arteater:

Be careful with blacks, they tend to 'bleed' the image with unnecessary contrasts. I like how you have kept close to nature rather than taking a unique route; easier for viewers to 'understand' the design.

St. Ginger:

I think its more like a Ladybird. Maybe you could make the design familiar by giving it a Ladybird colour scheme.

voraz:

Good design idea. Now start to add more smaller details.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nubb
    What Rist said...orientate on bug characteristics. Unfortunately it is no bug right now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for guides Fozzy and Rist
    There's no reason for dragging this design any further so I post latest changes just for fun

And new sketch, new idea. A slug that explodes with his hot guts to melt his victim ( macabre ).

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    You welcome. But you do not have to abandon the design altogether; I think its a great idea. Just implement some bug characteristics and reduce the details that do not explain the bugs intentions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rist: thanks again I realy got into new design do no sentiment for the monky-lizzard one
    Last update for today I guess. Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rist View Post
    St. Ginger:

I think its more like a Ladybird. Maybe you could make the design familiar by giving it a Ladybird colour scheme.
    Thanks rist, thats a great idea. I think black shell with red spots will look good, like one of those evil ladybirds *shudder*

klecksotopianer, your design is awesome. the colours really work, and the concept is so cool. I can't wait to see what the final looks like.

Scorge and Rist, your line arts look great, some really alternative bug designs.

Christian, your concept is cool, I like the little round spikey dude with his giant bomb. A little background/anatomy/story description may help get the concpet further, cos it'll give you something to latch onto and develop. (Jihadist ant could be a story line to follow though. Comic strip? )

Nubb, The other design was brilliant, just not an insect. This new one looks great too. I love the cold vs. bright colours in the shell.

I feel like a self centered ass commenting on others work when mine is so naff, but its all looks so good! keep it up.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Ginger View Post
    Thanks rist, thats a great idea. I think black shell with red spots will look good, like one of those evil ladybirds *shudder*

Scorge and Rist, your line arts look great, some really alternative bug designs.

I feel like a self centered ass commenting on others work when mine is so naff, but its all looks so good! keep it up.
    That red spots and black shell sounds good. Make sure to make the spots feels at home, i.e. sharp and soft edges in their respective positions.

Thanks, I need to get into line work more often!

Keep posting them, we all have eyes and opinions. Best to be commented on than to never be commented on. Plus you are doing great otherwise I would have never replied.

-----

Here is a block-in before I render. I want to establish a value layer before going into colour.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Doomsday Bug

Hi all,

I recently joined and think this is a great site and all of your work is inspiring. This is my first entry of any kind I hope it is well recieved.

The Doomsday Bug devours and also dwells among a rare fungal bloom. If you come across a patch of this fungus you must move cautiously or risk the chance of stepping on the bug which will immediately detonate with enough force to remove your foot.

You have been warned!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice work everybody!!!

My Sketchbook [ACTUALLY UPDATED!]

I have 800 posts

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nubb I like your second design

klecksotopianer this is really nice the colors really make it stand out

humboldt squid thanks, I changed up the legs a bit mainly because they didnt seem to flow right. I wonder if we got this topic from the banelings to begin with?

Arteater thanks, yours is looking good

alright here is a slightly altered design and a preview of the color version.

Thatz Comedy

25. The Following User Says Thank You to bluez3023 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's mine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pretty hard to stay away from the exploding ass idea. some nice concepts out there.

mine sticks into your flesh to lay it's eggs. if you try to remove it, it will blow your hand off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi,

nubb - thanks, i think your new design looks more like bug ...and i really love glowing stuff on creatures

Rist - thanks, your sketch looks fine, but somehow the feets remind me of slippers, perhaps you can change them just a little bit

Arteater - looks good so far, but i think, as rist said, the contrast is a little bit to hard...

St. Ginger, bluez3023 - thanks guys

electric goat - your design looks very cool

...and now i have a small problem. a trojan crashed my hard disk...so i lost all the stuff i had on my computer.
    i hope i can get a new hard disk... fast enough to finish this round
    this is the last version i have from this bug:

sorry for my bad english

29. The Following User Says Thank You to klecksotopianer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ugh, im having a problem. I scanned some more sketches and one drawing that I want to actually use but for some reason photoshop doesnt want to open the files. It keeps coming up with this error message:

"Could not complete your request because an unkown or invalid JPEG marker type is found"

I have checked time and time again and these files ARE jpeg files, and I can open them with the windows photo gallery. I dont know why the hell they wont open. All my other files still open, and I uploaded them to this computer the exact same way that I uploaded these pics. Idk what the problem is. Its so frustrating Fuck computers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow

Electric goat: Your design is pretty neat! very artistic.

klecksotopianer: I like your design, the face looks kinda like a mask though. (not that mine is better)

humboldt squid: cool concept, did you use ref from google?

bluez3023: Looking forward to the end product. looks very good, and reminds me of a scrin from command an conquer 3

Rist and maxlay: Pretty cool!

ChristianWeeks: Nice idea with the terrorist ant, I think your idea and mine are very similar.

Arteater: I really like your concept. Specially the male version. The sides look inspired by fighter planes, where you aware?

Nubb: Please dont give up on the first concept, it was awesome! Maybe if it it had small legs like a centipede, it would look more like an insect?

Edit: Snarfevs : wow that thing looks huge!

Now, my contribution:

Its a kamikaze drone. It sacrifices itself to protect the queen and hive.

Last edited by Funkyskull; July 12th, 2008 at 11:18 AM. Reason: had to reply to the post before me as well

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Funkyskull For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, heres an update. I don't really like the sketchbook one (I'm not a fan of watercolours, just thought I'd give it a try). But its a good colour experiment sketch. C.O.W. - #117: Explosive Bug

I also spent a stupid amount of time on Artrage doing these. I like them a lot better than the other one, but still want to do my final in real paint. I may run out of time though, so they're my backups

(Sorry about the excess of white space. Couldn't be bothered to argure with photoshop to take it out)

Enjoy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright I managed to open it on photoshop by resending the file from the other computer. Anyways, heres a real quick WIP ive got.

The giant sac's color and smell is extremely appetizing to predators so they avoid the jagged and unappetizing head of the creature and attempt to eat the sac instead. Once a predator has punctured the sac's membrane, seperate chemicals flow together, causing an explosion that spews molten chemicals on the predator and surroundings. The bug pops off the sac and scurries just for cover before the reaction happens. If the predator was small enough for the explosion to be lethal, the bug has a nice dinner.

Still need to figure out a name for it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.