Cure for Sore Eyes?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Cure for Sore Eyes?

I'm sure many of you suffer from this problem.

Having to work all day and then into the evening for school projects, my eyes are taking a lot of strain.
    It's starting to become a problem because everyday, by afternoon they're dry and irritated, while there's still lots of work to be done.

So CA, what are some quick cures, or perhaps long term solutions to stronger eyes?

P.S. I do drink plenty of water.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

stoph is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i can definitely recommend over the counter eyedrops. normally, its just a saline solution, with a few added extras for targeting different symptoms - e.g. sore eyes, bloodshot eyes, dry eyes, etc etc. set you back about 5 bucks, and should last you a couple months of regular use. i keep a bottle by my side whenever i'm on the computer.

also, i cant emphasise how important mini-breaks are. every 10 or so minutes, look up and away from your screen. i find it good to focus on objects 3+ meters away from where i'm sitting.

lastly, id suggest avoiding glare and fluorescent lighting where possible. artificial light/too much ambient light can wreak havoc on your poor little eyes. if you sit near a window, make sure you have your screen angled away from it, so that there's no reflections bouncing around on your monitor, causing your eyes to strain past it.

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by stoph View Post
    avoiding glare and fluorescent lighting where possible.
    Ugh, I had a feeling the fluorescent lighting in the classroom had something to do with it.

Are there any side effects to regular usage of eye drops?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unless you are allergic to a particular chemical, I don't think so, best to just ask the chemist about it otherwise since there are several brands and types out there.

Have to emphasise the bit about taking small 10 minute breaks, lets your eyes rest a bit as well as get some air if you're working in a stuffy class room. As with the placement for windows, preferably be some distance away from one, and not directly behind your monitor else you'll be doing more damage than good from focusing on two completely different lights. I often work in a dark room with blackout curtains during in the day with my monitor infront of me, and my eyesight hasn't deteriorated as a result of it either, because of taking several in-between breaks and stepping outside for some natural light.

If your eyes get irritated, avoid rubbing em, it'll only make it worse, and my brother approves of eye drops as well since he has similar working problems but doesn't get the breaks as often.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Restasis drops help you produce more tears, but you might need a prescription, Look for artificial tears drops for normal use.

You might have chronic dry eye, if you go to a doctor telling him what you just posted you'll probably get a scrip for restasis. not sure if it's cost prohibitive though, just something to look into.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the tips.. I'm having the same problem

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm on a computer far, far more than I'd like to admit. My trick when possible is to use natural lighting at all times (being in a classroom environment that might be more difficult - I have a coworker who *loves* the fluorescent lighting in the office, so) and sitting next to a window or door you can look out of - allowing your eyes to focus on something further away than 12 to 18 inches periodically helps a lot.

However, if it is allergy season, like it is here, you're screwed :p

All the best,
    ~Oreg.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    blinking seems to work for me 6_6

Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert.B For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert.B View Post
    blinking seems to work for me 6_6
    naaaah ...

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It actually sounds like you might need glasses. Eyestrain (from trying to focus) can cause dry, tired eyes. You should get your eyes checked out before jumping straight to eyedrops, just in case there's a reason your eyes are more tired than they should be.

blue's sketchbook
    Someone gave me this custom title and I will never, ever change it!

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,151 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Some eyedrops, if overused, will cause the pupils to dilate and everything will be blurry for a while if that happens.

Beware of allergies, including food allergies to milk and cheese, too much coffee usage too.

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why not take a day off, don't read or go on the computer and let your eyes rest for a day or two and see if the problem persists.

If it does then it sounds like your heading towards spectacle land

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The only time my eyes get physically sore is if they swell from allergies or if I'm not wearing glasses.
    Just looking at a screen isn't enough to get them sore, maybe tired but not sore

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I remember my old CRT monitor causing me a lot of fatigue because of its flicker. A good LCD is a worthwhile upgrade if you don't already have one. Also, since your eyes have a higher "refresh rate" toward the outer areas of your field of vision, you'll be picking up more flicker, even in an LCD, with an increase in the angular size of the monitor in your field of vision. You can try this yourself with an old CRT monitor- put it in your peripheral vision and you'll detect its flickering. Your monitor should be between 18-24 inches from your eyes. The bigger the monitor, the further away in this range it should be (this is my main beef with the Cintiq). If you have trouble making out what's on the screen, it's either your eyes readjusting to a less fatigue-inducing focus, or you need to see an optometrist.

We shall not cease from exploration
    And the end of all our exploring
    Will be to arrive where we started
    And know the place for the first time.
    -T. S. Eliot

ArenaNet Artists' Sketch Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, Id say eye-drops should be fine. There wouldn't be any harm in checking with a doctor, but there are plenty of medical websites that could help you easily diagnose whether or not your eyes were rotting out of your head.

Mine get pretty dry sometimes, but that's because I have a very unfortunately placed fan blowing at the side of my face(my left eye gets very dry very quickly). A few hours next to it and my eye crunches when it moves.

And the worst part is, I have no idea how to fix it... I should probably see a doctor.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 271 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    dont forget to blink now and again mate

heh, nah yeah i had the same thing when i was at Uni, not only dry but i developed an annoying eye twitch as well which was definitely stress caused.

No real cure i can suggest but maybe planning better might help relieve the stress, dont let work pile up on ya, and get some fresh air now and again.

chur...
    ...Jase

grenogs is offline im sparticus, no i'm Sparticus , no I'm Sparticus Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ive just finished a major freelance project that basicly demanded me to work on my laptop 12-16hrs a day, sometimes even a full 24hrs on some days, for the last 5 months. And what i realised is, if you have to work such long hours, then you must also have enough sleep in between even if it means upsetting your usual working hours. if you force yourself to wake up and work to soon before enough rest, your eyes will soon let you know, and basicly the whole day will become pointless and you'll just start falling behind with work. and if that doesnt help, then maybe a visit to the optitions is also due

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would agree with Jens and bluefooted. See an eye doctor. If you have health insurance but no vision you can always see an Ophthalmologist which are covered by health insurance usually, and you'll still walk out with a prescription in hand. Although refractions from Optometrists are (in my past experience) more accurate.

There could be an underlying condition for your eyestrain, so see an eye doctor. If you already wear glasses on the computer it could also be related to how clean the lenses are and if they have an Anti Reflective coating. I know my eyes always ache when my glasses are dirty, so I try to keep them real clean.

edit- I would also like to take the opportunity (from the previous post) to clarify some definitions regarding the eye care industry:

Ophthalmologists- Doctor that specializes in eye diseases, injuries, as well as eye surgery (including Lasik) also do refraction from time to time. ("which is better? a or b?)
    Optometrists- Doctor that specializes in refraction and contact lens fitting.
    Optician- Not a doctor. Fills prescriptions and fits/repairs frames and progressive lenses. (I was one of these for about a half a year. Not a recommended career path, btw)

Last edited by Gory; July 9th, 2008 at 12:08 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, thanks a lot for the responses guys.

I really doubt it's anything physically wrong with my vision. It's only in the class room that they get screwed up. It's way better when I'm working at home, even if I'm on the computer all day, I won't get this kind of eye fatigue.

Something else I forgot to mention.
    This is weird but I also think it has to do with fluctuating temperature, this is especially apparent in the winter. For example, when I walk to to train station in the cold then step inside the warm train, my eyes will very quickly start to feel groggy, but when I get out into the cold, they feel fine again, and then when I get inside the warm class room it's another dose of this 'temperature induced irritation'.

Pretty weird right?

I probably should check up with a doctor, though...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.