Couple contest entries.
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Couple contest entries.

Weazle is offline The Duke of DeLacoldesack Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Couple contest entries.

Hey guys. Working on some stuff for a couple contests. Thought I would post what I've got done on them and let you rip them apart. Really just want to know if there are any major issues you see and any other thoughts are welcome as well. Thanks for looking.

P.S. Does this look crazy pixelated?

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the first one, I just wish you had exaggerated the colors more. Right now, it doesnt look as powerful as it could with more vibrant darks and lights. That would be my only crit.
    And it doesnt look pixilated to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,320 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    In the first one, I wish those lightnings could be more radiant and have some more contrast. Also you should try defining some lines more, to make it more clearer what is represented in the pic. For the other pic, id change the figures torso to thinner one. Now it looks bit too fat compared to his arms and legs. Also the skulls on the ground could be less white. Otherwise i really dig your style, coloring and the feeling youve captured in these

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got pretty good composition and such going on here, but the pieces are monochromatic and lacking all drama. Throw some really bright lights and really dark darks in there! You've got strong light sources but none of the contrasts these sources should create. Your pieces are also super monochromatic. Use the full moon to add yellow to that all-purple piece, and the red-orange torchlight to contrast the green in the second. I think that alone will make these pieces pop a lot more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The second one has a better feeling of depth, I think. Try exxagerating light and dark in your first one, maybe using the second as an example. That should help give it a little more life. Nice work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In the second piece, becareful of the pelvis part. If im not wrong he's pelvis and torso should be twisting. Watch out for proportion of his body - size of the leg is too small.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first picture could perhaps use some more hard edges and, more importantly, lighter tones. Don't feel affraid to make that full moon pop off the screen, and I beleive you will get a very nice result if you bring up the light shining in between the fiendish figures more.

In the second picture, the torch shoulc be bigger, and the skulls' colour more reflecting the color of the torchlight - more yelowish (reference the light on the man's gear and face).
    The weapon he's holding and his one trouserleg and vest could benefit from some more definition too. Make sure you get the same level of detail as you achieved on the wall with the tribal pictures.
    You did a good job on the hair however, and the two lightsources (one warm, one cold) are working out very beautifully in this picture.

Keep on trucking!

Continue the critique at Deviant Art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the lighter the area the more your eye will be drawn to it. So, make sure that your focal point grabs the eye. For instance...the first image I would agree that you have some lite coming from below the creatures inside death...make it more dramatic. Maybe by adding a bit of orange and red...like they're coming out of the depths of Hell itself! Same for your second image...more contrast with your light source. Basically what everyone else said...

You have a good thing going, just push it a lot more.

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,150 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You have a good talent for images. You need to bust out the anatomy books though. I recommend Bridgman's books. Buy em, copy them into your notebooks as you read them and attempt to understand them.

Your color is too one-note. Check out the color patterning in this piece: http://bp1.blogger.com/_zMsg9U8UoyM/...verett+003.jpg

Notice how every object has its own color, yet nothing is "out of scheme" or ugly. Think of the color of objects as part of a larger color pattern... like a quilt or a stained glass window. If a green has a little orange mixed into it, it will harmonize with a purple that has a little orange mixed into it. This is called "toning". You can tone various colors to one color by mixing that color into everything a little. When every color is toned a bit toward one color, you get a nice color harmony, even if you're looking at green against red, or purple against yellow, or orange against blue.

good luck
    kev

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Weazle is offline The Duke of DeLacoldesack Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks all around

Wow. I really didn't expect as much feedback as I've gotten with these images. Just want to say thanks. I'm definitely taking all of the advice given and trying to apply it, especially as it relates to color scheme and hard edges. I find that I've been working with softer brushes and should mix it up a little more with some hard ones. Anatomy is always a work in progress as well it seems.

I hope to post an update this week so you guys can see the progress. Special thanks to Kev for the image link also.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.