Best Printer? Best Paper?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 906 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Best Printer? Best Paper?

Hey everybody, I was wondering if you guys could help me buy a new printer. I'm looking to start making prints, all I need is high quality prints for my small etsy shop, my stuff on there is pretty simple. The problem I've been having is that when I print them out on the crappy hp photosmart i get white lines instead of solid background color. I'm currently using cardstock, but I want to get the right stuff before i start really promoting that shop. I'd really appreciate any advice you could offer

thanks!

'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account
    Schoolism Alien Video Tutorial!
    -HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you have the money go with Epson, Canon is also a good more affordable solution, if the cartdriges are clean they'll make great quality prints specially if you use Canon paper.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Epson is my personal vote for best. I'm happy as can be with my 2200, though I think it's discontinued. In any case, for selling prints you want something that's using pigment based inks, not dye based. Large format is a bonus if you want to offer over sized prints.

As for paper, it's a matter of personal taste, but the Ilford Gallerie: Smooth Pearl is what I'm personally in love with. It's the most like real photography paper that I've found and looks spectacular. You would do well to order a few sample packs from some paper manufacturers if you're not sure what you're after though. I'd suggest samples from Ilford, Epson, and Moab, or take a trip to your local camera shop and see if they have any sample packages in stock.

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 906 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys, I'll look into Epson then. As far as the paper goes I'm gonna need some cutesy lookin textured paper... sorta like watercolor. I'm sure i'll find something I like though. Thanks again.

'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account
    Schoolism Alien Video Tutorial!
    -HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A bit OT, sorry, but DavePalumbo I've got that same Epson printer as you and that thing clogs so easily that it's really frustrating. You have any tips on how to keep the nozzles clean (the default cleaning system just doesn't cut it) or get out dust?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    how often do you use it? I probably print on mine about every 10 days on average and I don't have any clog issues. Once I had a very bad clog after not using it for awhile, but two cleaning cycles fixed it and otherwise I've had no troubles. I also never turn mine off because the shut-down and start-up wastes too much ink, I don't know if that may affect anything

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Members who have read this thread: 1