Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks

My NOT MUCH NUDITY AT ALL, Somewhat revamped and editted sometimes Sketchbook.

--EDIT-- NEW STUFF ON LAST PAGE

Hey all, I'm trying to become more active in the forums. Here is some older stuff from my very first year in college way back when. It was great when I first did it and now I can't really stand to look at it. I redid some stuff and tomorrow I'm going to get stuff from my life drawing class uploaded. Most of it SUCKS for various reason, but my life drawing teacher seemed to like all the stuff I thought was complete crap, and she didnt like anything I thought was good. Either way, here's some stuff to get this thread started.

Number 1 is called Cosmic Shadow - I've toyed with the way this guy looks so many times, its disgusting. He's one of two characters in my head whom I change the look of daily. Sort of like batman action figures - theres everything from "Daytime picnic" batman to "Evil trumping cave dwelling batman with karate chop action and plasma bolt firing rifle"

Attachment 407004

Number 2 is a robot whom I used to like. I can see where I screwed up on him and I'm going to redo him probably tomorrow.

Attachment 407006
    Last edited by hitnrun; July 21st, 2011 at 03:37 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Yeah, I've seen in the forums. You commented in my sb way back in day. I remember you had like 2 posts and I was like "Wow, hitnrun just hitnran my sketchbook". When you say "pre-college", how long ago was that? Anyway, nice start and get this thing rollin.

Thanks
    The next load of 3 images.

The first is a trio of dudes, and something I should find so I can finish it. It's got Cosmic, who is more like a partner to the guy in the mask who happens to be my star character (I dont know if he looks very original..) and the absolutely GIANT dude whose reference is in the reply below, I named Lazarus. I always pictured Dolph Lundgren playing this guy in a movie, even though I doubt his country of origin is Germany.. Yes the built dude is suppose to be of German descent.

Attachment 407243

Next we have a friend of mine who took a picture and I liked it so I decided to draw it. It's pretty close to finished - I want to do a little more to it yet, but alas, its another one I can't find. I have like 10 sketchbooks all half filled (no word of lie) because I dont want to put my high school stuff in with anything that has potential.. It's like mixing oil and water, but at the same time it might be like a really cool time warp - one page you've got shit, the next page BLAM! good stuff! Oh, yea, here's the image!

Attachment 407244

Third and final is a concept sketch for my star character. I've since scrapped it.

Attachment 407245
    Last edited by hitnrun; July 20th, 2009 at 03:42 PM.

Thanks
    The trio pic -the big dude on the right was referenced, the other two are from my mind.

heres the reference pic:

Thanks
    Any references needed for the vermeer reproduction? The other mannequin study was just a quick thing. The Vermeer on the other hand, seeing as I only spent one day a week on it, took me a few months. (I left it college when I worked on it, because I was afraid of screwing it up. I've since studied with oils more and I'm not afraid of screwing something up as I know how easily stuff is to fix with Oils. Acrylics and watercolor on the other hand I need to seriously bone up on).

My art teacher helped me a lot on the Vermeer and its still not finished, but at the moment, I don't want to take it any further because I like it the way it is.

Attachment 407263

Next is just a sketch of a drawing mannequin. I need to fix my scanner settings because it looks grainy and the drawing isn't.

Attachment 407259
    Last edited by hitnrun; July 20th, 2009 at 03:45 PM.

Thanks
    heres a little more of my boring line art style. I think I just need something different - graphite is becoming "too much of a good thing" anymore. Ah well, 3 more sketches, no refs. By the way, on Tekk's foot, the one facing to the right - that little silver thing on his shoe was *suppose* to be a shine mark, even though he doesn't look that shiny. I was going for a moderatly polished look for that one.

So here we have a dude I drew in high school, and one thing it has going for it is that both back then, and now I still like him. No name for him, I just drew a dude with two claws on each hand.

Attachment 408275

Next is a concept sketch of my star character, and this is what he'd pretty much look like if he used desert camo.

Attachment 408276

And of course, we all know Tekk. Your friendly little robot side kick who I'm going to redraw; he's going to have speakers, a mic, and a few other little doodads to make him look functional, and not just like some retarted drone.

Attachment 408277
    Last edited by hitnrun; July 20th, 2009 at 10:06 PM.

Thanks
    Loving Tekk lol, nice work.. proportions could do with work and anatomy, like the absolute ripped guy aswell (muscly)

Keep it up and post more.

Thanks
    thanks for commenting on my SB now to the crits.. you say you like reallism? I dont realy see any real attempts at drawing realisticly herI know cartoons are fun to draw, but the real challange is to draw something that looks real
    I challange you to do that!!

Tim

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DStraX View Post
    thanks for commenting on my SB now to the crits.. you say you like reallism? I dont realy see any real attempts at drawing realisticly herI know cartoons are fun to draw, but the real challange is to draw something that looks real
    I challange you to do that!!

Tim
    Perhaps I'm using "realistic" in an improper sense. What I usually mean by realistic is stuff such as Annibale Carraci's "Flight Into Egypt", Caravaggio's "Entombment", "Calling of Saint Matthew", or a work by Velasquez, which I believe is called something like "Maids of Honor" - some people in the painting have realized that the King is standing there in the doorway, and some are already bowing. Velasquez painted himself in there too. That is what I call realistic. Apologies for any misspellings of artist names.

The pencil drawing of my friend eating that apple, I also consider realistic. The other stuff, true, is more representational but stylized. I will say though, the dude that looks like a midget, he's all up in the air with his head back - the head I just couldn't seem to get right.

Maybe I'll post some Sheppard drawings I did. I love his work.

Thanks for the comments too!
    Last edited by hitnrun; May 17th, 2009 at 11:33 PM.
    Doctors heal you, Artists immortalize you.

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach" - bullshit.

The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    We've got some Work In Progress pics here - and I've since pretty much stopped working on it because I need to paint something that is more planar because the subtle changes in shade, I have difficulty with. I have to go back to where I started with graphite, and do the same thing with oils/acrylics. Here's the pics:

Probably about an hour into it:

Attachment 676129

Guessing maybe 3 hours into it (I have a TV in my "studio" too so I take frequent breaks on some days)

Attachment 676130

From here, until I decide to finish it, I have no idea how long..

Attachment 676131
    Last edited by hitnrun; July 20th, 2009 at 10:09 PM.

George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Here's one that was just suppose to be a bound winged figure, with a blindfold even though it looks like he has a mask on that is obscuring his vision. In many ways this was a success, but in more ways, I consider it a failure. The shading on the wings for example, I was going for a "spawn" style - and I failed hard. I'm going to redo this bad boy, and see if I can't get better looking chains, better shading on the wings, and two feet that look normal. The one that has "Bound" typed up, I was seeing if I could make it look like a book cover.

Attachment 703530

Attachment 703527
    Last edited by hitnrun; July 20th, 2009 at 10:13 PM.

George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    More works in progress with the samurai I'm drawing for a friend.

First pic:

Attachment 739898

Second Pic:

Attachment 739899

Enjoy!

George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Ok so the first "Cosmic" was bugging the heck out of me with the severe anatomical flaws. The new one isn't perfect, but I'm playing the "style" card there. I'll definitely post images when I get my life drawing class going, sort of to show I can draw a normal human figure if I want to. I like this version a lot more - however it is technically a work in progress - I don't know if I'll add wings, and I want to come up with a good, final version of his scythe/sickle (w/e it is). Then I may even ink it, not sure yet.

Attachment 759432

And this is a work I'm proud of. I think it came out really well, and I've caught a few mistakes, but keep in mind, this started off as the black face and part of the hood, and I tried to keep a good hold on the anatomy. There are only one or two things I'd do different if I redid this guy, but I'm satisfied with the way he currently is.

Attachment 759436

By the way, if anyone wants to tear the absolute heck out of any of these works, please feel not only free to do so, but also encouraged.
    Last edited by hitnrun; August 22nd, 2009 at 11:25 PM.

George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    I like the rendering of the samurai. I suggest much more studies from observation, both from life and from photos. Also, start posting some studies of those anatomy artists you like so much. Copying the bridgeman books, especially helps. Having been through an art ed masters program, I can say they'll only look at your art during the admissions process, and their standards aren't all that high. If you want to really respect yourself as a teacher, work a ton now on self improvement. Start with pencils, move to oils or acrylics. Learn techniques in ceramics and watercolor, also digital (these are all a must for art ed). Because, no matter how much you can fudge being an artist in school, the second you walk into a classroom, those kids want to see real skills. Kids have impossible expectations. You have to be a master artist, buff, charismatic, a kung fu expert, whatever. Or at least wise enough to shrug off their silly expectations and seem like you know what's more important (don't worry you don't have to actually know what's important in life, you just have to fake it). If you're not really skilled as an artist, though, kids will be let down, and it's all downhill from there.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TASmith View Post
    I like the rendering of the samurai. I suggest much more studies from observation, both from life and from photos. Also, start posting some studies of those anatomy artists you like so much. Copying the bridgeman books, especially helps. Having been through an art ed masters program, I can say they'll only look at your art during the admissions process, and their standards aren't all that high. If you want to really respect yourself as a teacher, work a ton now on self improvement. Start with pencils, move to oils or acrylics. Learn techniques in ceramics and watercolor, also digital (these are all a must for art ed). Because, no matter how much you can fudge being an artist in school, the second you walk into a classroom, those kids want to see real skills. Kids have impossible expectations. You have to be a master artist, buff, charismatic, a kung fu expert, whatever. Or at least wise enough to shrug off their silly expectations and seem like you know what's more important (don't worry you don't have to actually know what's important in life, you just have to fake it). If you're not really skilled as an artist, though, kids will be let down, and it's all downhill from there.
    <B>TASmith</b> Thank you for the valuable input, both about my art and about myself becoming a teacher. I'll get my bridgeman studies up asap. I just reconfigured my scanner to scan at 100 DPI instead of the 300 DPI it was using - so I can get things posted faster now. I also have a sketchbook filled with gestures, so maybe I'll even scan a few pages of that (it's hardcover and book bound so I might have to settle for some lower quality photos). I just figured theres so much of that stuff on here already, it might make my already plain sketchbook even more, predictable?

As for some of the other stuff, I'm happy to say I'm already breaking into acrylics, and I've done some work with oils. I'll get the other vermeer I'm working on scanned, and I'll be sure to get the acrylics up soon too - probably later today. Oh and theres a ceramics class in my curriculum too, so soon enough I'll learn about the techniques you suggested.

On a downsided note, I'm not a big fan of digital work. I've attempted it, but I can't say I have much respect for it. If it's really that necessary then I'll try to learn it, so if you have *any* tips at all to make a prospectively torturous journey any less painful, then please by all means, share them!

Thanks, too, for checking out my sketchbook, and leaving good input for me. I appreciate it.

p.s. the dude I'm drawing it for, and a lot of his friends like that samurai too

George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast