Art: Must watch for animation lovers?

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Must watch for animation lovers?

I'm obsessed with animation right now, and am hungering for some really bad-ass clips of ANY animation. Anything and everything is accepted - I just want more.

Lol, It sucks that I'm asian. I can't help it if I look like a million other people.

My Sketchbook: Critics and Comments would be AWESOME.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=69016
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    In no particular order.
    Anime Films:
    Apple Seed
    Perfect Blue
    Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind... Actually just make that 'all of Miyazaki's films'.
    Afro Samurai
    Akira
    Spriggan

Disney Films:
    Pretty much of all them. Especially the old ones.

Other Studios:
    The Iron Giant
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit
    All of Pixar's films.

Don't watch Dreamworks animated films, expect for Kungfu Panda.

That's all I can remember right now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anything from Studio 4c!!!! One of my favourite film from them is Mind Game.
    The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
    Paprika
    Death Note
    I heard Persepolis is good though I havent seen it yet.
    Belleville Rendez-Vous (or anything from Sylvain Chromet)
    The work of the Gobelins school (possibly the worlds best)
    Dragon Chasers (newly released from Spain I think, dunno when u can access it but its a concept art of a film!)
    Alexandre Petrov (animated paintings! Not just any old painting, Really good paintings!)
    Blur Studio (game cinematics)
    Animatrix
    Bill Pympton's work
    Makoto Shinkai's work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh yeah! How could I forget about Animatrix!
    A must watch, especially if you're a fan of the Matrix.

Ghost in the Shell series is great. Don't watch separately though, because it won't make sense.
    Haven't seen the movies myself so don't know about those.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Orgesticulanismus is a particularly awesome 2d animation done in tribute by Mathieu Labaye to his father who passed away at age 55 from multiple sclerosis, it's a fantastic example to capture the energy in movement and I reckon it is a must see for animation lovers.

I also watched Kung Fu Panda the other day, the animation in that and the basic squash and stretch principle is put to awesome use as well as the subtle 'secondary' actions to define their characters, at some parts it may seem a bit dragged out, but they have some interesting and hilarious twists as well to make up for it, It's a must see while its still on the big screen.

I really want to see some from Afro Samurai, only saw a bit from one show and it was badass. I have heard that Appleseed 2 (ex machina or something?) is apparently much better than its predecessor, though I have not seen either.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to worxe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafnir View Post
    Holy shit.
    Where can I get a hi-res version so I can watch it frame by frame.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have been trying to find a high-res version myself but unfortunately no luck, I've been freezing the movie though at times and noticed some really cool little tricks like doubling of the limbs as they move quickly (2 sets of arms in 1 frame or 3 sets of eyes/faces in 1 frame to show very fast movement and fluidity at the same time).

Another short I enjoyed was called The Cathedral (above) by a group called The Patige whom have done alot of other shorts and animations, looks like it was mainly done with matte/paintings, I think the only thing that would've been modelled was the cathedral and the character, the reason why I liked this was the use of stills instead of going balls out with modelling unnecessary things, and good use of basic functions regarding compositing (gradient blends, fractals etc, from what I could see anyway, they probably didn't have fractals in 2002 though), bear in mind also this was done in 2002 I believe, in other words, you don't need fancy magic tools to create good content.

Elephants Dream (above) is a strange one, though I really like some of the abstract environments in here and how they were animated, I think this one was brought up a while ago in the lounge, I thought I'd post it for a refresher, the dialogue and story is a little strange and unclear and the animations and voices are wierd/a bit off, but one of the youtube comments (first page at the bottom) describes the story and this animation was done with strictly open-source programs, including the OS back in 2005-06 I think.

There were two other short films I am trying to remember, one of them was a funky one done in Maya I think, where people were represented by their experiences in their past and how they currently felt, not as people, the story was of an interview between two people one of which was apparently a known/famous(?) animator from a while back who (in the animation) was reduced to a borderline poverty/low-income animator who just got off a smoking addiction but is still a heavy drinker, and tells his story about his life. I have the video, but I won't have it until July 21st when I get back to NZ. I think the story and words spoken in this short would relate to a few people around here as well.

The other was also a really strange but wicked concept, I only saw a few minutes of it but the characters in the short looked like little sewn together pieces of fabric with small buttons for eyes, done in 3d, and a small part of it had a monster with an animal skull for a face and the rest of the body also seemed like it was stitched fabric or something, if anyone knows about it I'd love to hear a name so I can find it.

I'll keep looking for a high-res Orgesticulanismus (jeez what a mouthful, don't know how I'm spelling it without ref )

Last edited by worxe; July 14th, 2008 at 02:23 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HMM

PAPRIKA for definite.
    The ghost in the shell anime movies, more than the series.
    Patlabor 2 movie.
    Tekkon kinkreet.
    Steamboy- though i loathed the movie it is technically excellent in execution.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh yeah, Steamboy!!!! First time I watched that I didnt bother following the story at all, I was just blown away by the animation, artwork of the laouts and sfx. Quite mind blowing! Oh and theres a sign with my tiny little hometown on it there somewhere. Was quite a suprise to see!
    I cant get enough of the Tekkon Kinkreet backgrounds. The work they must have put into them is quite frightening.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're going to watch elephant's dream, might as well watch Big Buck Bunny:

http://www.bigbuckbunny.org/index.php/download/

It's the newest open source animation. It's rather odd, but better than elephant's dream imo.

Also, a must that I'm surprised I haven't seen here: A Scanner Darkly as well as Waking Dream. Both very awe-inspiring technically innovative movies. Those movies are a trip. I'm trying to find more animated movies like that (not so much the for the rotoscoping) but more for the very dark, trippy, existentialist, dreamy themes. As opposed to the stuff coming from Disney, Dreamworks, Blue Sky, etc. Which though the argument can be made that some of their films have "adult themes", I beg to differ.

Also, by adult, I don't necessarily mean it has to deal with sex, gore, or drugs. Just...more serious themes, introspective stuff, philosophical I guess. Haha, w/e, just watch em' a must watch in my opinion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Burning Safari

Another FANTASTIC short is called "Burning Safari" by students at the Goeblins school in France. It's hilarious and incredibly well animated.

Also, this probably goes without saying, but the Pixar shorts, particularly the latest one, "Presto," are all amazing. Most of them, if not all, are available on iTunes.

Keep on keepin' on!

Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

paran0id brought it up in irc, this one is awesome.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to worxe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blur studio's stuff is killer.

In The Rough

Gopher Broke

and

A Gentleman's Duel

Also of course there is The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Corpse Bride and James and the Giant Peach.

Heres a link of all the academy award nominated short animations too, heaps of things to look up in there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy...ted_Short_Film

I also freaking love this ad, its magic! who cares if its for lotto

- book -
    - blog -
    - my etsy -
    - TomMonster.com -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffles View Post
    paran0id brought it up in irc, this one is awesome.
    Fantastic! Wow, the animation of the skeleton is amazing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres another one. unfortunately not the greatest quality vid.

http://www.coca-cola.ee/movie/#/

- book -
    - blog -
    - my etsy -
    - TomMonster.com -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bunny!

you'll need to look it up, but it's great in terms of mood lighting.

I'm drawing a blankin my sketchbook, that is

Ye-ha! I actually completed my site.Check it out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffles View Post
    Another short I enjoyed was called The Cathedral (above) by a group called The Patige whom have done alot of other shorts and animations,
    I was under the impression that The Cathedral was pretty much a solo project for Tomas Baginski. I'm not finding anyone called the Patige through Google.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry, bad wording, the group is called Patige Image, and The Cathedral is Tomas Baginski's work according to the credits.

Although now that you bring this up;

"Platige is also the producer of short animated films such as the Academy Award nominated "The Cathedral", and Tomek Baginski’s newest project "Fallen Art"."

I'm really confused now :| - Im guessing that Tomas (Tomas or Tomek? on their website its Tomek) got a couple of Patige's sound people in on the project for the music/sounds and probably hired their renderfarm, beyond that I've no clue.

-edit- Re-updated The Cathedral youtube link, last one got removed.

and Wow, I'll never look at a coke machine the same way again Kronos, thats crazy!

------------

Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffles
    one of them was a funky one done in Maya I think, where people were represented by their experiences in their past and how they currently felt, not as people, the story was of an interview between two people one of which was apparently a known/famous(?) animator from a while back who (in the animation) was reduced to a borderline poverty/low-income animator who just got off a smoking addiction but is still a heavy drinker, and tells his story about his life. I have the video, but I won't have it until July 21st when I get back to NZ. I think the story and words spoken in this short would relate to a few people around here as well.
    Found it on youtube, in two parts;

Last edited by worxe; July 14th, 2008 at 03:48 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I second everything everyone has said so far but definitely watch some old school Looney Tunes and tom and jerry and such. Also, Don Bluth (even though he was apparently not well liked) his films are ALWAYS touching.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not really old school, but informative nonetheless, this is a test animation from emperors new groove, note secondary actions they put in to add character:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Luftwaffles thanks for posting that clip!
    The next Henry Selek feature to come out will be Coraline in Febuary of next year.
    There's been one sneak peek floating around, and a trailer.

The animation is like a perfect marriage between Nightmare before Christmas and Corpse Bride.

And here's that sneak peek in quicktime, for some frame by frame joy...
    http://www.neilgaiman.com/mediafiles...line/sneak.mov

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    try to find a studen's movie called "overtime". simply amazing!
    i think it's from supinfocom. i was told acme films are working to make a feature based on it.

another few worth checking out:
    das-rad (oscar nominated student's film,Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg)
    beton (student's film, bezalel)

father and daugher and the monk and the fish by Michael Dudok de Wit

ring of fire,
    the runt - Andreas Hykade

shawn the sheep - animated series by aardman. hilarious.
    also by aardman: animal tales.

chicken robot

invader zim

full metal alchemiest (great anime series. there's also a movie, but you have to see the series first)

billy's baloon, rejected, and any other movie made by Don Herzfeld

oooh! Bambi meets Godzilla! ( by marv newland)

i have to stop now. TB doesn't like any other programes open while rendreing, i'll try to think of some more...

so much fun CA opened an animation forum!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, all these suggested clips are so good! I would suggest this guy over at deviant art, as he's an exceptional animator. I don't know if he's gone professional, but he does everything traditional, and even better, on easytoons (a basic/limited animation program).
    http://inkthinker.deviantart.com/art...olent-33314198
    http://inkthinker.deviantart.com/art/Duelling-35053541
    http://inkthinker.deviantart.com/art...eaker-43028187
    http://inkthinker.deviantart.com/art...ggers-59985979
    http://inkthinker.deviantart.com/art...rt-II-18733924
    http://inkthinker.deviantart.com/art...s-WIP-49365363 * I like this one.

Seriously, this guy's stuff is AMAZING.

There's also "The Old Man and the Sea", by Russian animator Aleksandr Petrov, which is actually animated on glass. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w-RiTIjXsQ

Also, check out the animated Shakespeare series, "Shakespeare:Animated Tales" that aired on BBC back in 1994-6. Many reputed animators, as well as different animating styles, ranging from puppet animation - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XZ091CEgNU
    to cel animation- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC9G_...eature=related

Check out the Thief and the Cobbler (youtube), director of "who framed Roger Rabbit", which took over 20 years to make! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeOq3O1MrzQ

Lots more. Just look around.

Check out The Overcoat, as well, by Russian animator Yuriy Norshteyn, which has been in development since 1981. Pixar's also great

Last edited by Braise; July 22nd, 2008 at 09:19 PM. Reason: More suggestions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [QUOTE=Braise;1849760]

Check out the Thief and the Cobbler (youtube), director of "who framed Roger Rabbit", which took over 20 years to make! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeOq3O1MrzQ

[QUOTE]

braise
    you know the story behind this movie right? try to get a hold of the workprint. it's completly different then the so-called "finished" version and so much better..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [QUOTE=Noa K;1850172][QUOTE=Braise;1849760]

braise
    you know the story behind this movie right? try to get a hold of the workprint. it's completly different then the so-called "finished" version and so much better..

Yeah, I know. I've seen the "recobbled" version (closer to the original) on google, and then followed that up with the crappy Miramax version, just to compare. *Sigh* Miramax really does no justice. I've signed all kinds of petitions dealing with releasing an official version closest to how Richard Williams had intended, but they never go through. I'm still hopeful, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

And anything else by Jan Svankmajer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [QUOTE=Braise;1851093][QUOTE=Noa K;1850172]
    Quote Originally Posted by Braise View Post

Yeah, I know. I've seen the "recobbled" version (closer to the original) on google, and then followed that up with the crappy Miramax version, just to compare. *Sigh* Miramax really does no justice. I've signed all kinds of petitions dealing with releasing an official version closest to how Richard Williams had intended, but they never go through. I'm still hopeful, though.

well, i haven't heard of "recobbled", i saw the finished version with the songs and all that. sad. all i can tell you here is try to find the workprint if it really intersts you. yeah there's a lot of petitions in effort to return the materials and get it done the way R. Willimas wants. but i never heard any update of it. have you?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Theif and the Cobbler Recobbled is typically what people call the workprint version, so you guys are probably talking about the same one. And I agree, it is amazing. The technical skill in that movie is mind blowing.
    I heard he's working on a new feature. Does anyone else know about it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Katezila View Post
    Theif and the Cobbler Recobbled is typically what people call the workprint version, so you guys are probably talking about the same one. And I agree, it is amazing. The technical skill in that movie is mind blowing.
    I heard he's working on a new feature. Does anyone else know about it?
    A new feature? Nope, I haven't heard of it. As far as I know Richard Williams retired. But if this is true, then that would be terrific.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1