Sketchbook: Chris Reilly's Sketchbook - Page 7
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Chris Reilly's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decided to write down a back-story/brief for this character illustration.

The Fairy Chieftain

The Chieftain of the Fairies* is usually the biggest and strongest of the Fairy folk. They prove their worth in many ways such as the killing and eating of the hearts of birds (a natural hunter of Fairies) often using the feather coat of the birds as symbols of power**, challenging and beating the current Chieftain, as well as prowess in War and Politics. Often in times of peace the ruling families via for control of the position through the nomination of champions who go forth and do battle in an often brutal tournament.

*Fairies are half bird half human creatures, their springy legs allow them to hop around and run quickly great for grabbing those pesky birds!
    ** Often this give the illusion the Fairies have wings when they are bounding from branch to branch. In reality the fairy is a flightless creature.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are some film still studies I did yesterday, practising portraiture/faces/skin tones etc at the moment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Found some time to do a speedpainting. Spending most of my time looking for work lately, and learning 3DS Max/Mudbox, so nice to do something for fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ive been teaching myself 3D lately, heres my first Mudbox sculpt. Its an Orc bust. Theres a turnaround here, http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63905241/Orc.mov

And a bit of fan art, Asura sketch I did this morning as a warm up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Scriar, your recent posts are looking good, really like the colours in your recent studies, and your last little greyscale demon creature is lovely!

Freelance Artist Website : http://www.allyalbon.com

Blog : http://allyalbon.wordpress.com/

Black Cat Chronicles : Soul Thief now published
    http://aileenpettigrew.wordpress.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AllyAlbon: Thanks Ally, your works looking good to, nice to see your keeping up with all the studies. Stick with it

Spending most of my time practising anatomy lately, I tend not to save what ive done as alot of it throw away gesture studying. I have lots of projects on the go, so I recently decided to do a submission for wizard of the coasts DnD art test to focus myself a bit

Heres the initial rough thumbs and the final line work for my halls of the dead entry (havent worried about the line weight too much as ill be painting over it), will start painting it now Decided to do this test as opposed to the other options since I feel I need to tackle architecture more in my work.

Last edited by Scriar; July 18th, 2012 at 12:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a wip of the Halls of the Dead entry, I posted the line work for in the previous post. I want to eventually remove the line completely so just working towards that at the moment.

Will hopefully finish this over the weekend.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres the final version. Not sure I will submit this, but will use it for my portfolio I think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a wip of a fantasy portrait (its a fairy) I am working on currently.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is an update on the previous illustration. Need to work on the headdress, wings, snakes head, overall rendering still whenever I find some spare time.

Mostly working on learning 3D (specifically Maya) recently, and I'm also moving back home in a few days so this will probably be my last post for awhile whilst I get resettled.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres the finished version of my Fairy portrait, which I intended for my portfolio.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a portfolio piece I am currently working on. Its meant to be part of the fantasy mmo series I did for my last university project. Idea is simply to make a city set in a canyon, with a consistent style of architecture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some progress on my portfolio piece. Haven't had much time to work on my art lately due to some longer shifts at my new job.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the last picture looks like it is gonna be reallly nice!
    I definitely want to see it done
    It's interesting to see you'r steps

So many interesting ideas in this sketchbook - you'r scenery are lovely!
    I wonder how you even start progressing to where you are now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres some progress on the last piece, I think I have all the elements established now, so will just focus on detail and rendering from this point. I actually painted some figures in the foreground and some detail on the rocks etc, but photoshop seems to have bugged out on the last save ><

Edit: Figured out the problem, photoshop duplicated my file somehow so no work lost Updated the pic.

Chompi'n: Thank you As for getting to where I am now its just lots and lots of studying. A good way of approaching things is simplifying everything as much as you can.

For instance just doing paintings for a month in values, no colour, just doing 1 point perspectives, only focusing on rendering simple cubes/cylinders/spheres etc. And then gradually moving towards more complicated subjects. Doing lots of 2 hour studies is useful, youll quickly see an improvement if you do even just 2 a day.

Try to identify the areas where you struggle the most currently and tackle them. I am using this approach for figures atm, by just focusing on gestures since my figures are quite stiff. Once you feel comfortable move onto something different. Just remember to do something fun after a few studies, itll remind you of why you are struggling through it all ;p

Hope that helps

Last edited by Scriar; August 28th, 2012 at 03:55 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi sorry for the lack of updates I dont have a lot of free time anymore since finishing university I work at my day job and spend the rest of my time on my art and learning 3D. Heres some stuff I posted elsewhere whilst the site was down (I think the new changes are great). Theres the completed version of the canyon concept I posted previously, a sci fi harbour/port, fighter character concept, and rogue/fighter weapon designs. And lastly a wip of some costume designs I am working on currently that are for citizens (high class) of the scifi harbour concept. All of these are for my portfolio.

Name:  Canyoncitylowrez.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  372.8 KBName:  Theportlowrez.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  431.7 KBName:  HR_FighterFlowrez.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  333.0 KBName:  Weapondesign_Roguelowrez.jpg
Size:  323.5 KBName:  Portcitizen_femalewip1.jpg
Size:  204.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is an update of the costume design sheet I am currently working on.

Name:  Portcitizen_femalewip2.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  487.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have been wanting to do a suit of armour study for awhile now, finally got around to it

Name:  GothicArmourlowrez.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  527.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres a bunch of stuff Ive done recently. First is a repaint of a previous portfolio piece, some head studies (with dodgy eyes now that I look at it :/ ), and last is some snapshots of a 3D project Ive been working on to learn maya.

Name:  HR_FighterFlowrezv2.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  434.2 KBName:  151112.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  283.7 KBName:  Hallsofthedead1.jpeg
Views: 78
Size:  201.9 KBName:  Hallsofthedead2.jpeg
Views: 76
Size:  204.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I decided recently to start a new project where I design a dungeon, and all the props, characters etc that inhabit it. With the intention of having everything modelled at the end and possibly rendered in UDK. This was inspired after I brought Torchlight 2 which is easily one the best games I've played in years I definitely recommend it. I figured this would be a great project to have for my portfolio and to learn from.

My development so far started with sketching out a quick level layout and writing a design document for myself working out what I will actually do. Its a really loose at the moment as I am sure it will develop as I go. Currently my idea is simply to design a dungeon that is inhabited by an invasive species/pirates.

To start off with here is the development for a tower I plan to model first. Ive started off with silhouettes, and then explored interior details, lastly exploring colour palettes I could possibly use.

Name:  Towersillouetteslowrez.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  108.9 KBName:  Towersecondpasslowrez.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  187.1 KBName:  Towercolourrangelowrez.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  414.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Evening, thought I would do a quick update since my thread is getting a bit dated. The level design project is on the back burner atm, I felt it wasnt really working and becoming too ambitious for my first project learnt a lot though from the stuff I did manage to do. Ill spend much more time planning things in the future would of saved tons of hassle in forethought as with most things lol

To keep my 3D practice up I have started modelling a smaller scene from one of these brilliant miniatures (http://fantastische-welten.blogspot.de/p/ausweg.html) which I hope will give me all of the skills needed to tackle a level design project in the future. Its just in the block in stage atm so probably not much reason to post it just yet. I guess its the equivalent of a sketch currently using just the standard primative shapes- which I picked up from Nate Stephens Gnomon dvd.

This is what I am working on currently on the illustration/portfolio front which is taking up all of my time. Originally it was meant to be my last illustration of 2012, but it became much more ambitious as I wanted to push myself with subjects I struggle with (figure/character design). Trying to get it finished soon as I am in the final stages of getting ready to start the MA Concept art for Games and Animation course at Teesside in February. Its all last minute I got my unconditional offer on Xmas eve of all times and still havent got 100% confirmation on funding just a prelimary exceptance which is more than I ever hoped for (Its a pcdl with co-op) never a smooth process when it comes to me and funding it seems ha

If that all works out ill be doing the MA for 16 months, I'm hoping by the end of it ill finally have a strong concept art portfolio. And also I am aiming to create an 3D portfolio aimed at an Environment artist role. Tons of work ahead no doubt but im hoping it will all pay off

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    vibrant colors you have in your studys

25. The Following User Says Thank You to johnny24 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice armor study. Always remember when doing studies to think about why and how things look the way they do, don't just copy and make a nice drawing, but try to understand the material you're studying so that next time you paint someone in armor you can pull all the info and techniques you got from the study. Nice work, build up your portfolio and you'll get to where you want!!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to fersteger2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    johnny24: Thanks, yeah definitely have been leaning towards vibrant colours lately. I need to tone it down a bit I think lol

fersteger2: Thanks for your encouragement and advice about the studies

Heres an update on the previous illustration I posted. Decided to get rid of the curtains it made the illustration a bit cramped. Hoping to finish this one tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is the final version of the last illustration.

So I still dont have 100% confirmation on funding for that MA, but at this point they seem fairly sure I will get it in a few weeks. Unfortunately that means I have to take the risk of going to Teesside next week and hoping they give me the loan in time to pay for the course and accommodation etc. Hopefully it works out, otherwise ill be stuck in Teesside for 16 months due to the accommodation contract ha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is some screens shots for the environment project I am working on at the moment. Eve just finished the modelling and the UV unwraps. This is just a quick lighting render to show what it looks like with the basic checker material assigned. It is all to scale for the unreal engine. The rectangle on the floor slab is the same size as an average unreal character to give you an idea of how big it is. Ill be working on the textures and collision next, and then a final render in UDK.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a quick render of the some of the textures I've done so far. And lastly a sketch for a new environment concept I started today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is the final render of the environment model I've been working on. I wanted to stick it in UDK but the program is driving me nuts so going to leave it for now until I learn how to use it properly.

Edit: Heres a texture sheet I quickly threw together. I used mostly 256x256, theres a couple of 512x512, and the main brick texture is 1026x1026. Everything is hand painted.Name:  Texturesheetlowrez.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  350.5 KB

Last edited by Scriar; January 29th, 2013 at 02:03 PM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1