Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Thanks
    Hi heres todays update, spent 30 minutes doing a hand study, but I did it in pen for a change.

And some more refinements on that environment I posted yesterday, tried making the mountains appear further appart by adding blue gradient maps, added a bit of fog as well.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    the hands pretty cool
    i reckon you should do a few of these daily, perhaps limiting yourself to 2 minutes a piece? without taking the pen off the page
    give it a try, itll help with your hand eye coordination
    with the mountains, the right idea is there, but perhaps try softening the edges of the ones further away to give it more depth, i dont mean all out blur but just alil soften
    Up shit creek with a poo for a paddle
    Sketchbook- Began 22/07/08 - Bo'
    -
    BLOG - Final Major Project

Thanks
    iheartmyself: thanks for your advice, I see what you mean I went back and softened the edges at bit as you have suggested.

Heres another update, used this photo: http://cydonian.com/photos/img1458.htm and trashed it for a speedpaint 1 hour or so on this one.

Thanks
    Hi heres todays update, this is an environment speedpaint. Apart from the nexus brush I made all of the brushes for this one this morning, so I am using my own brush set now. I think you learn more from creating and using your own brushes

I had the urge to put a signature on this one, I thought it would make it more complete lol

Thanks
    Hi heres todays update, its a WIP of an environment I am working on. Inspired by whit brachnas environments. I have spent about 3 hours on this so far, although about an hour of that was experiment with different brushes and presets.

Like the last one I am using my own brush set for this, also made a couple of snow brushes, a cloud brush and another ground brush. Theres also 2 that are variations of jagged and slightly smoother rocks.

I have learnt a lot so far on this piece, mostly to do with creating appropriate (atleast I think they are appropriate) brushes for the picture. And to start off by adding a rough compostion and perspective grid. Tried adding different variations of cyan as well for the rocks I think it is more interesting/appealing to look at than shades of grey.

Will probably finish this tomorrow. I wanted to get the main shapes, colours, compostion, light and general feel down first before I worried about details and refinement.

Thanks
    Hi, heres an update for that environment I posted yesterday.

Thanks
    Hi heres todays update, 4 life drawings (First 2 are terrible but Ill post them anyway lol). First two I spent 20 minutes on, third 30 minutes and the last 3 hours.

Been trying a different technique for drawing figures, from these videos: http://uk.youtube.com/user/matthew39arch

Thanks
    Hi heres todays update, this is a 45 minute speed paint.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 491 Posts
    I like your enviros...in last two I see the progress...try paint from refs! after 2-4 sketches your level grow up..I swear)

Thanks
    Verehin: Thank you, and thanks for the advice. I really need to remember to use reference on all my drawings.

Here is the last update for today, a speed painting I spent 75 minutes on so far.

I started off a bit differently on this one, blocking in shapes, then overlaying a picture by Mathius Verhasselt, manipulating it (trashing it basically lol) and allowing the colours to bleed into the picture, and then forming shapes from a what I could see.

Hopefully Ill finish this tomorrow.

Thanks
    Hi heres todays update, spent 25 minutes doing 1 minute poses from: http://www.posemaniacs.com/pose/thirtysecond.html/

And an update for that environment I posted yesterday.

edit: added a larger version of the environment. btw I have spent 2 hours in total on the environment

Thanks
    Heres todays update, 3 hour figure study.

I probably wont update this sketchbook anymore, perhaps Ill continue this sketchbook in the future. I dont plan on quitting art or anything, I just dont think that this sketchbook is really nesscesscerry at the moment since I know I need to study anatomy, study from reference, basically study a lot ;p I originally started this sketchbook because I wanted to get motivated to do art each day. I feel that I have a focus now on what I want to improve and the way in which I should go about it. And to be honest I enjoy art so much I dont really need to be motivated to do it ;p

Also I am starting college again soon so my posts would of been sporadic at best. I would like to thank everyone that has commented in my sketchbook so far, your comments have been helpful, and encouraging. I will more than likely still browse the site btw, perhaps Ill post now and again with updates on where I am at.

Cya all around and thanks again.
    Last edited by Scriar; August 28th, 2008 at 04:40 PM.

Thanks
    haha, well I was humming and hiring about starting a new sketchbook, and figured nah thats cheating lol

So with all my embarrassing old stuff behind me heres an update for this sketchbook after, god 2 years? Ill try to make my updates more regular ;p

Little update on whats happened since my last post. I got completely fed up with my life, hated I.T so much even though I was getting distinctions I just couldn’t do it anymore. Figured what the hell you only live once, so half way through my second year I dropped out, put a portfolio together and looked at uni.

Somehow I got places in a bunch of unis and now I am studying Illustration full time at the university of Plymouth ive just come to the end of my first year and start my second year in september.

Ive been posting mostly in the speedpainting thread and thought it was about time I started up a sketchbook again as it’s a good motivator, and place to get crits etc

Anyway life story over heres some of my art to bring this thread up to date. Have a ton more, alot of it is on my deviant art account (see sig) if you want to check it out, just would take me forever to upload

4 speedpaintings/studies from photos - almost a year old now but gives an idea of progression.
    Entry for the gothic girl theme for the monthly gnomon challenge.
    A robot design I did to practice starting from linework and bringing to a finish.
    Skeleton warrior I did after watching a video by Daarkan
    Speedpaintings
    Gnomon competition entry for the Rustic Inn theme.
    Lastly a Gnomon Competition entry for this months theme kowloon city.

edit might take awhile to load, sorry about that.

Thanks
    Some of my traditional stuff, I have sort of learnt back to front in that I studied digital first and now I am learning traditional. I have found that doing both helps and keeps things interesting.

Spent most of my time this year doing traditional. Ive discovered I really like watercolours and have been trying to improve in that direction. So far I have reached my goal over the year of being able to make the colours I want, wasnt able to do that before.

Some watercolours and gouache on location for a uni project.

Sketch I did a few months ago.

Tree study - for a location project.

Line drawing/sketch final for a uni project and the digital version I did afterwards. It is trying to show how water can be both good and bad, the example in this drawing is meant to show how the water is destroying the village but the well is there so they are therefore also relying on it for survival. (I dont really like conceptual illustration it was a bit odd lol)

Thanks
    nice drawings , keep on the good work
    On And On , I Am Cursed To Live Cursed With Life Until I Have Done What Done What Must Be Done . . . I Am The Man Who Would Not Die .

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast