Sketchbook: Chris Reilly's Sketchbook - Page 6

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update on my corrupted night elf illustration. Changed the layout and some other elements to improve the composition, trying to separate the elements more as the values were merging together so the depth was lost/everything was getting flat, redesigned the weapon, and starting to try and get the focus on the head area.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update on my corrupted night elf illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Final version of my corrupted night elf. Its available as a higher rez on my blog. (see sig).

Guess I should start thinking about what to do for my final major project now, start uni again next week. Originally I was going to do the macmillan childrens book competition, I still might, I never thought Id say this but I actually quite enjoyed designing the last one.

Playing around with the idea of perhaps doing a skillful huntsman type book instead, since it would give me the opportunity to basically cover everything I think I need for a portfolio, and ive been wanting to do something like that every since I first got the book. Going to talk to some of my friends and do it as a collaboration if I can.

Still need to get around to teaching myself 3DS max as well (you do 3D/animation and programming on this MA I am looking at), for those that dont know you can go on to their site as a student and download all the software for free (36 month license I believe). So far Ive taught myself the interface and made a 'jerry can' which was a pain and looked more like an alien version of one lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the lack of updates, in the process on upgrading my computer at the moment.

Here's so character development for the Macmillan children's book competition. Ive decide to adapt the Brother Grimm tale called 'The Queens Bee' since its very open to interpretation. Once I've done the Macmillan book, I'm going to take the same story and convert it in to a game or animation property, in the form of a visual development book. Ala the skillful huntsman.

These are some of the digital sketches I did for the two elder brothers in the story.

Also a painting I did as a style test. The theme is 'I used to be a pirates parrot before I took an arrow to the knee' ;p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone, sorry for the lack of updates Ive been (and I am still) extremely busy.

Just coming up to the last few months of university, its been quite exciting. I did my first professional job as a concept artist/Costume Designer for Warner Brothers via Alexandre Byrne last week which was an amazing experience.

Finishing up my entry for the Macmillan Children's book prize, as well as the Penguin design award. You can see some of my wips for my macmillan book on my blog. Dissertation submitted finally - never want to do that again lol

And now I'm spending most of my time entering competitions, finishing up the last of my modules, and fleshing out my graduation portfolio.

Anyway on to some art

This is my entry for this months Gnomon image challenge. The theme this month is Dreamscape, my idea was a King or Emperor of some kind is looking on as his dream palace is created.

I decided to do this as Architecture is my weakest area so best way to improve that is to do something that really challenges you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Working on a new website at the moment which will hopefully be up by the end of the week. Basically just building my portfolio now, promoting myself and trying to get work Submitted my design for the penguin book competition see below, my idea was the story was coming alive dont really like my execution of it I wanted it to merge from a simplistic style into a realistic one.

And finished all of my macmillan stuff I just need to go and get the high quality prints done now.

Also here is a wip of a mock book cover im working on at the moment. Im going to do a few of these in order to expand my portfolio and so I can use them as samples when applying for work.

Little joke in the title for anyone who likes Game of Thrones ;p

Last edited by Scriar; April 9th, 2012 at 05:29 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update on my book cover, improving the lighting, making the sky more dramatic, rendering, etc

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Final version of my mock book cover.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres the sketch for my next mock book cover. And I also finished making my new website, going to add a few more tweaks to it when I have the time.

http://chrisreillyillustration.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finished the under painting its still quite loose but I find if I go too far with the greyscale I have a harder time adding colour to it. Will start adding colour and painting opaquely now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Current progress on my book cover.

Also I updated my website layout hopefully its clearer now: http://chrisreillyillustration.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Warner brothers paid me recently for the work I did for them, so I treated myself to the art departments James Kei figure downloads. This is my current progress on a figure painting after watching both videos. Will finish it once I have some time, need to get on with some of my other work first.

This is the reference I am using http://mjranum-stock.deviantart.com/...et=96#/d1a09dw

Photo by MJ Ranum.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres an update on the second mock book cover, will clean it up tomorrow then call it done I think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Evening, last post for today, this is my 'finished' study. Left the hands and feet a bit loose as I feel Ive gotten all I can from the study and it would be better to move on. Learnt a lot from it, definitely recommend the James Kei downloads they are very helpful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, heres 2 1 hour figure studies I did this morning, really bad but atleast I learnt what not to do haha. And I finished the second mock book cover, which I was starting to feel like I was polishing a turd, oh well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Took a break from studying naked people

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

This is a bellydancer study ive been working on today, using this reference from chamberstock :http://chamberstock.deviantart.com/g...et=24#/d1o4olq

Saved my steps so far as well mostly for my own 'notes' but I thought it might be helpful for some others so thought Id post them as well.

Need to work on the hands, feet still among other things I left them till last since I didnt want to get caught up getting them right until the overall proportions etc was correct with the rest of the painting.

Will hopefully finish this tomorrow, need to get a move on with my concept art portfolio, just been studying lately

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    'Finished' my figure painting, haven't done the jewelry or decorative stuff to a realistic level (or at least as realistic as I can get atm) since I should really get a move on making portfolio pieces and have already spent a while on this (learned a ton though)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is some concept art I am working on at the moment, I was hoping to finish it today but lots of work to do and I'm shattered lol This is meant to be a piece to add to my concept art portfolio.

Sort of sticking with the theme of a mock sci fi RTS that I did the recon ship designs for awhile ago, so this is aimed at perhaps being a cinematic screen for it. I'm doing this since I was re-watching the Feng Zhu tutorial videos on youtube and he mentioned doing things in sets. So I will do some character designs for this and then move onto interior work, and more isometric type designs you would expect to see for an RTS.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update on the scifi concept, really didnt like the things holding the ship so just painted over them and gave it legs instead. I think it helps open up the composition as well.

I think its just a case of cleaning up edges and the details now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Final version, tried to keep it fairly loose was making it too tight which I guess would be bad for concept art since it puts clients off of suggesting changes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Enemy General silhouette designs for my mock sci fi rts idea. Not quite sure which one to go with at the moment. Leaning towards 2, 7, or 9. (Planning to clean these up and post them in portfolio later)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Initial rough sketches for the previous silhouettes, went with number 2 in the end. Leaning towards taking number 7 to finish but with a less busy design on the front.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Final Concept for my enemy general character, I worked mostly in grayscale, did a quick colour pass for presentation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the lack of updates, very busy at the moment so havent had too much time to keep all of the places I post updated

Heres some environment design work that I did for my portfolio, my rough idea is that they are for a fantasy mmo. First 2 are thumbnail batches, and the second 2 are the finished versions.

I left the swamp scene a bit looser with the intention that it wouldn't be so rendered that it would put a client off of changing something. But it actually tightened up when I printed it, ahh well I tried lol

Edit: oh this is the hero character I did for the sci fi project posted previously.

Last edited by Scriar; May 8th, 2012 at 01:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dungeon concepts and Final for the mock fantasy mmo project I am working on for my portfolio. Just 3 portfolio pieces left to do

Edit: My creature of the week entry as well so its all in one place

Last edited by Scriar; May 14th, 2012 at 01:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here Is the last of my portfolio work, the first is the concepts for the orc creatures you would find in the dungeon I posted earlier, the next is a concept for their captain, sort of an elite mob I guess, and lastly its meant to be the boss, but as a promotional illustration.

The last two are done in pencil, fineliner and brush pens, since my Intous 4 tablets usb slot seems to have been disconnected from the motherboard >< so whilst I am waiting on that getting refunded I dont have access to a tablet. This just has to happen a couple of days before my final hand in :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a post apoc character I have been working on this weekend. Done on my Bamboo tablet whilst I wait for the intuos 5 I ordered to come through

Nice to do some personal art for a change now that Ive handed in my portfolio, just an assessment to go now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres a painting I finished the other day its a character I called The Baron, to cliche it up ;p Its meant to be an Alien in a steampunk western science fiction universe

Sorry for the lack of updates, im in the process of graduating at the moment, I did my final assessment the other day so essentially I have finished now and get my results in July.

Currently looking for work, and creating art aimed at specific jobs (this one included), so havent had a lot of time to update my various blogs, sketchbooks etc ;p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Self portrait for practice

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1