Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Chris Reilly's Sketchbook

I started this sketchbook almost directly after starting to learn to draw almost 5 years ago now. Since then I've graduated from university with a degree in Illustration, and have had some professional experience - including working for Warner Brothers. Feel free to look through my sketchbook and leave a comment, I am very open to critique and ill always try and answer any questions or offering critique myself.

The below attachments are more representative of my current skill level. My portfolio website can be seen at: http://scriar.daportfolio.com/

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Scriar; November 22nd, 2012 at 04:50 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Good start. Use reference more often; though I must say those enviroments are pretty good for no reference.

Thanks
    Fourtonmantis: Thank you for your comment and advice, Ill try to use references more in the future.

I have been working all day, so only had 30 minutes to spare for drawing today. Decided to do some Bridgemen hands to add to the sketchbook. Will do some more tomorrow, hoping to work through the Bridgemen constructive anatomy book, as well as the Andrew Loomis books during the summer.

I need to hide my rubber somewhere I have gone and crinkled the sketchbook page again, to much rubbing out ;p

edit: added a cleaner scan

Last edited by Scriar; July 6th, 2008 at 05:25 PM.

Thanks
    Another update for today, 3 more Bridgemen hands. Spent about an 45 mins to an hour on these 3. As well as a random girl sketch, no reference as it was something I did whilst defraging my computer

Last edited by Scriar; July 7th, 2008 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks
    An update for today, a page full of Bridgemen hands, oh and a finger ;p

Thanks
    Good start! Great to see that you're already tackling anatomy.
    Try to take some time everyday (10 minutes is enough) and just sit down draw something. Lifedrawings would be good to get understanding for volume and shape. Hope to see more soon!
    Keep your pen sharp!

Hey, Come visit:

And also:

SuiraDefiledVision Snobby

Thanks
    I like the Bridgman studies! I'm doing them too...[not posted though].
    btw do you always use 2B pencil to start the sketches?....I'm just wondering wouldn't it be better to use HB, B or F pencil as starting pencil?...It is not a critique though. I just found out for myself that using some of the pencils above is better as begining because they do not smudge that easy.[I discovered personaly that F works best for me as starting pencil ]

Anyway- Good luck with your work! Keep practicing!!!

Thanks
    Danelf: Thank you for your comment, and advice. Ill definably try to do some anatomy studies every day.

AgentAlpha: Thanks as well for the comment and advice. I usually start off with a 2b Pencil, it used to be a B pencil but I have used it so much the pencil is like this big [-----]> lol

Ill probably go and buy some new pencils when I get paid, at the moment I do a light sketch in 2B, then go over the sketch in 4B. I think I have a 9B pencil lying around somewhere to add some darker values.

Here are some more Bridgemen studies for today. Btw sorry for the slow response, I decided to only reply if I have a piece of art to post so I am not bumping my own thread.

Thanks
    One last update for today, sketch of a cat spent 1 hour on it also used a reference picture from wetcanvas as a guide. edit: Added a drawing exersize I spent half an hour doing.

The idea is to scribble randomly on to the page, then try and pick shapes/make drawings out of the scribbles. Seems like a good way of coming up with quick thumbnails to base final drawings on.

Also tried a few shape building exercises where you put shapes together to make characters.

Both exercises taken from fun with a pencil - Andrew Loomis.

Last edited by Scriar; July 8th, 2008 at 04:21 PM.

Thanks
    A small update for this morning, spent 15 minutes doing some Vilppu action poses would spent longer but I am going to college in 20 minutes ;p

Thanks
    Update for today, finished my sketchbook just a minute ago the last 4 pages are lots of vilppu action poses as well as these conpression type circles, they are a bit boring to look at so I wont post those.

The picture below are 30 second poses off of posemaniacs.com. It was going so quickly I decided to just try to get the gesture in.

Going to start my new sketchbook now its my 20 th one since I started drawing last september Think I will fill this one entirely of Bridgemen, Loomis, and Vilppu studies.

Thanks
    One last update for today, first page of my new sketchbook decided to do some life drawings of my hand/thumb/fingers, and my foot

Thanks
    An update for today, these are character building practices from the Andrew loomis-

Fun with a pencil book. All the drawings in the grid are copied from the book, the ones outside the grid are my own. This is the first time I have used a blue pencil to do sketches in, I think I might try this more often as it seems a good way to do preliminary sketches in.

p.s If you right click and do view picture it seems to be larger and slightly clearer to see.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.