Sketchbook: Chris Reilly's Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Chris Reilly's Sketchbook

I started this sketchbook almost directly after starting to learn to draw almost 5 years ago now. Since then I've graduated from university with a degree in Illustration, and have had some professional experience - including working for Warner Brothers. Feel free to look through my sketchbook and leave a comment, I am very open to critique and ill always try and answer any questions or offering critique myself.

The below attachments are more representative of my current skill level. My portfolio website can be seen at: http://scriar.daportfolio.com/

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Scriar; November 22nd, 2012 at 04:50 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start. Use reference more often; though I must say those enviroments are pretty good for no reference.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fourtonmantis: Thank you for your comment and advice, Ill try to use references more in the future.

I have been working all day, so only had 30 minutes to spare for drawing today. Decided to do some Bridgemen hands to add to the sketchbook. Will do some more tomorrow, hoping to work through the Bridgemen constructive anatomy book, as well as the Andrew Loomis books during the summer.

I need to hide my rubber somewhere I have gone and crinkled the sketchbook page again, to much rubbing out ;p

edit: added a cleaner scan

Last edited by Scriar; July 6th, 2008 at 05:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another update for today, 3 more Bridgemen hands. Spent about an 45 mins to an hour on these 3. As well as a random girl sketch, no reference as it was something I did whilst defraging my computer

Last edited by Scriar; July 7th, 2008 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An update for today, a page full of Bridgemen hands, oh and a finger ;p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start! Great to see that you're already tackling anatomy.
    Try to take some time everyday (10 minutes is enough) and just sit down draw something. Lifedrawings would be good to get understanding for volume and shape. Hope to see more soon!
    Keep your pen sharp!

Hey, Come visit:

And also:

SuiraDefiledVision Snobby

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the Bridgman studies! I'm doing them too...[not posted though].
    btw do you always use 2B pencil to start the sketches?....I'm just wondering wouldn't it be better to use HB, B or F pencil as starting pencil?...It is not a critique though. I just found out for myself that using some of the pencils above is better as begining because they do not smudge that easy.[I discovered personaly that F works best for me as starting pencil ]

Anyway- Good luck with your work! Keep practicing!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Danelf: Thank you for your comment, and advice. Ill definably try to do some anatomy studies every day.

AgentAlpha: Thanks as well for the comment and advice. I usually start off with a 2b Pencil, it used to be a B pencil but I have used it so much the pencil is like this big [-----]> lol

Ill probably go and buy some new pencils when I get paid, at the moment I do a light sketch in 2B, then go over the sketch in 4B. I think I have a 9B pencil lying around somewhere to add some darker values.

Here are some more Bridgemen studies for today. Btw sorry for the slow response, I decided to only reply if I have a piece of art to post so I am not bumping my own thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One last update for today, sketch of a cat spent 1 hour on it also used a reference picture from wetcanvas as a guide. edit: Added a drawing exersize I spent half an hour doing.

The idea is to scribble randomly on to the page, then try and pick shapes/make drawings out of the scribbles. Seems like a good way of coming up with quick thumbnails to base final drawings on.

Also tried a few shape building exercises where you put shapes together to make characters.

Both exercises taken from fun with a pencil - Andrew Loomis.

Last edited by Scriar; July 8th, 2008 at 04:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A small update for this morning, spent 15 minutes doing some Vilppu action poses would spent longer but I am going to college in 20 minutes ;p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update for today, finished my sketchbook just a minute ago the last 4 pages are lots of vilppu action poses as well as these conpression type circles, they are a bit boring to look at so I wont post those.

The picture below are 30 second poses off of posemaniacs.com. It was going so quickly I decided to just try to get the gesture in.

Going to start my new sketchbook now its my 20 th one since I started drawing last september Think I will fill this one entirely of Bridgemen, Loomis, and Vilppu studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One last update for today, first page of my new sketchbook decided to do some life drawings of my hand/thumb/fingers, and my foot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An update for today, these are character building practices from the Andrew loomis-

Fun with a pencil book. All the drawings in the grid are copied from the book, the ones outside the grid are my own. This is the first time I have used a blue pencil to do sketches in, I think I might try this more often as it seems a good way to do preliminary sketches in.

p.s If you right click and do view picture it seems to be larger and slightly clearer to see.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update for today, I now have corel painter X after months of saving. Heres my first attemp at using the program (never used it before) tried to do an apple, took an hour to do the apple, and spent half an hour trying to figure out how to use everything.

Now to save up for a graphics tablet

P.s I converted this to a JPEG file then compressed with picture editor, not sure if there is a better way to do it, hopefully it shows correctly.

Edit: After looking through other peoples sketchbooks I think I have not balanced enough drawing from the imagination with the studies so Ill try to add more imaginative/creative art in future updates. Will make my sketchbook more interesting I think ;p

Last edited by Scriar; July 12th, 2008 at 03:36 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An update for today before I go to work. This is a W.I.P of a fairy, I have only used the pallet tools as a way of getting used to them, finding out what they can do etc

Hopefully will finish tonight, or tomorrow. Sorry for the lack of updates, I have a lot of college coursework, and work to do at the moment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some head studies for todays update. Also I noticed that I have made that digital fairy to small so it has made putting small details like the face in a bit too hard. edit: btw spent 2 1/2 hours to do all of these, been working at college all day so I am surprised I had it in me I am knackered lol

Was only my second digital picture, so I can keep this in mind for my third ;p

Going to work on my new sketchbook a bit more for now, I have to put a portfolio together for a Art, Media, and design course I applied for today.

Its part time (OCN advance) so if I get on it Ill have to think hard whether I want to drop the second year of my IT course and work full time whilst going to college for the art and design course. (Course timetables clash ) or whether I should just stick with the IT course and carry on working on my art in my spare time.

I found out my IT course even though I do an animation module will not help me to get on to the animation degree I am looking at, and it is more based on a portfolio which is why I have been looking at part time courses to do alongside this one. The time table for my IT course is not flexible at all though next year, which sucks, so it is either one or the other now ;\

Last edited by Scriar; July 14th, 2008 at 05:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decided to do a self portrait today, it actually looks like me as well which I am quite proud of. Usually they look like some kind of alien lol Think the bridgemen studies are helping ;p

edit: btw spent around an hour and a half on this.

Scanned in as grey scale, this scanner is kind of crap so hoping scanning it in as greyscale will improve the quality of the scan.

Last edited by Scriar; July 15th, 2008 at 06:48 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One last update for today, this is a sketch of an Indian women, reference used. Edit: Make that 2 more updates for today, this is a bunch of random sketches.

Last edited by Scriar; July 15th, 2008 at 04:55 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, some Vipuu studies for today ( only the reference picture on the second page next to the notes is actually copied the rest are my own).

The notes on the first action poses are just notes on which pencil to use when sketching, I think B is best, 4 - 6 B seems to smudge to much and is far to dark.

The second set of notes says when one side compresses the other side streches. This is in relation to how forms look in action.

Going to do some more female anatomy studies then combine the two to create some pictures. At the moment I wanted to get the pose and the movement more than anything.

p.s I have a decent set of sketching pencils now, ranges from B, HB, then through 4B to 9B

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last update for today, hour or so sketch of a fairy. edit: add a retouched version, got rid of all the dust in corel painter X

Edit: I think I will use the digital retouched version as an avatar ;p

Last edited by Scriar; July 16th, 2008 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An update for today, decided to do an environment for a change, no reference used. Edit: figured out that the greyscale is picking up all the shadows on the page when I scan in, so going to stick with the basic colour scan from now on, as you can see from the image it is much clearer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last update for today, a digital doodle of a fish.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay this really is my last post for today, ;p

I now have some decent colouring pencils, and every grade of pencil. I decided to do a cloth fold, clothes design, colour practice, and some vilpuu all at once lol

edit: btw the notes on the page say for the top right that I should not have used such a dark pencil for the prelimary sketch, and the bottom left one says that this drawing used the same colour for the prelimiary sketch which produced a much better result.

Btw I made female clothes since these vilpuu poses that I have been doing keep leaning towards the more elegant/feminine type of pose, going to try and do some more masculine poses using the same technique.

edit: added pic 'lady in a dress' edit 2: damn she looks anorexic need to fix that lol

Last edited by Scriar; July 17th, 2008 at 04:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A small update for this morning, this is a watercolour (pencil) of the lady in a dress picture. Think I used to much water as its creased the page even managed to stick a hole in the page as well lol

Ahh well its only my first watercolour picture ;p

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    the last picture has several anatomy problems, the most important the too long upper body and the far too small face. the head suffers from wrong proportions, the eye level should be vertically near the center.
    the wrist should be at the crotch level in a simple standing pose with straight arms. it's a more complicated pose, but the torso definitely is too long for the arms.
    the clothes on the arm has unnatural looking wrinkles and the angle of the collarbones is wrong, some knowledge about the skeleton may help.
    drawing human bodies is tough, surely...
    keep doing studies and use the knowledge you learn. you make efforts, they will pay off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a good solution for excessive eraser use is a good pencil. it needs to be sharp and soft (more than B2). with a good pencil you'll be able to make thin, almost invisible lines (if you still don't feel confident enough to sketch freely) to try various shapes and then make the right lines a little thicker. don't erase all mistakes-a wrong line is also an information for you. also a soft pencil is easier to erase.

to make your lines more confident you may also practice with a pen with no possibility of erasing. try to define edges with stable continuous line and even if it's wrong, leave it. try drawing another sketch nextto the wrong one

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He don't need a sharper and softer pencil... bla blaa blaa... he just need to stop posting this **** and learn some anatomy... Copy the body parts from some anatomy book learn them and memorize the proportions and other basics... then post!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by clanlord View Post
    He don't need a sharper and softer pencil... bla blaa blaa... he just need to stop posting this **** and learn some anatomy... Copy the body parts from some anatomy book learn them and memorize the proportions and other basics... then post!
    OKAY
    ok?

this is the BIG goal. i'm just giving advice on how to achieve it by smaller steps.
    saying "oh, this is crap, learn proper anatomy and draw better" doesn't help much because i think the author already knows that. i thought saying HOW one can practice and what can help during the studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shiNIN: Thank you for your help, Ill do another version of that picture when I get a chance. I suspected the head was to small, could not quite figure out what the other thing was bugging me was, guess it was the torso, thanks again for the detailed description/anaylsis.

malpanka: Thanks as well for the advice. I will try and do more drawings in pen, and Ill lay off the eraser.

Clanlord: I would of never have thought practising anatomy and drawing better would make me a better artist, thanks for enlightening me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi... I want to apologise for my severe comment early this day! But if you want to develop your drawing skills, the first thing to begin with are the proportions... If you are heading to other direction of art, oh it's completely different! But the main thing is the seriousness of doing your work!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1