What do you want to become when they grow up??
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What do you want to become when they grow up??

King Kobra is offline Creative and Imaginary equals superb ART Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up What do you want to become when they grow up??

i don't know what i wanna become when i grow up so me posting this thread could give me some ideas.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

King Kobra is offline Creative and Imaginary equals superb ART Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    when u do write what you want to become write how much you will get paid and what you will do and what qualifications you will need.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should check out salary websites. Those will help you quite a bit. Also, salary can vary based on where you're living, or what type of establishment you're working for. Just something to think about.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for your comment and do you no any salary websites

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Google is your friend. Type in "salaries" or any other terms you think might be valid and hit GO. Then have some coffee and a chokky chip cookie while you have fun going through all the neat replies.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 645 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I wanna be me a Concept artist and an illustraitor, Or mabye a designer But the first 2 option are my fav. Donno and don't really care too much about the salaries do a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I want to be a rainbow and lead a colourful life....
    Okay, kind of a silly answer, but only the very lucky few really know what they want to do from an early age.
    Keep your options open and your curiousity alive, never settle for second best for long, and you'll live your dream.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, it certainly seems like you have some decisions to make. If I may make a few suggestions...

Above all else, be the hero in your story.

Find meaning in what you do and do it consciously.

Realize that action does not equal effect. Work to effect.

Happiness is not always to most important thing. Sometimes satisfaction is far more relevant and can serve the greater good (that being said, I'm the happiest person I know).

And your comment is more salient than you may realize. Deciding what you want to be is so much more important than what occupation you may first work toward.

I think you should be relevant.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't want to ever grow up.

My work: [link]

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wise decision. I never did.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wen i grew up i want to b a astronot!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wanted to be a firefighter. Then a whale trainer. Then an animator for Disney. Then a storyboard artist for Disney. Then a biologist. Then living in my Dad's rent-free guest bedroom looked pretty good. Then oops, I made toys. Then cartoons. Then video games. Now I'm searching around inside again while keeping my hands busy with the drawing tablet.

It's good to have focus as to what you want to be when you grow up, but leave room to change your mind and for change itself. Lots and lots of room.

Whenever I feel unfocused about my goals (which is usually once every two weeks or so), this cheesy little song calms me. Oh, shush already.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Steph Laberis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanx for all your comments and that end video is so calming
    and again thanx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've always wanted to be a painter to some extent. Not that I gave it any thought when I was a kid (who really does?), but it was always there. Then I wanted to be a cosmologist, then an animator for Disney, then a storyboard artist for Disney, then a character designer, then a cartoonist, then a concept artist, now I'm back to wanting to be a painter / practicing artist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    burl: hi fanx for the reply and you have had alot of ideas of what you want to become and have good luck in your practicing.

dark eagle is offline i hatea the italino sterotypes ina da soc'ty Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I either want to be a bio technician or a concept artist, taking in fact that this websites name is CONCEPT ART.org i guess most people want an job in creative industires. So do I.

And a bio technician is more known as frankenstiens father-people that make living things and grom limbs then they'll make super humamswhich will then take over the earth,then thy'll be forced to make anti-superhumans as retore peace,then theyll all die in 100 years time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I wanted to be some kind of scientist like a astronomer or biologist before i decided to pursue concept art. There are cool science jobs out there, like in geology, volcanology marine biology, etc. My sister is a geologist specializing in volcanoes and she gets to travel all over to hawaii and currently is living in alaska on cool, little island town helping the city in various ways. But yeah, i'd reccomend concept art. nothing beats painting all day, and getting paid...and doing the occasional run of 3d.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Basically I dont want a boring desk job. Or a crazy grunt labor job.

Id like to be either a performing and recording musician, or work at a game company. I love concept art, but Ive been into 3d for a while now, and realtime stuff is really starting to interest me.

What Id totally love to do is start a game company(with a few friends), and make a really revolutionary game. Something along the lines of what the folks at Valve did(Id love to work there).

Or do special effects of some sort for movies(industrial light and magic or sony probably)... maybe some video editing. Or music producing.

Yeah, I pretty much dont know what I want to do(why did I post here?!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i want to draw shoes and get paid for it.

really fast looking shoes with the "swoosh" lines that make 'em look speedy.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I wanted to be an English teacher, but then I read this thread and killed myself.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I wanted to be Elwell, until i realized that the job was taken.. Now i just wanna be a rock star.

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 Times in 3,594 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I wanted to be a princess, then a brain surgeon, archaeologist, engineer, artist. Bit like Leonardo Da Vinici except I don’t think he wanted to be a princess.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    Bit like Leonardo Da Vinici except I don’t think he wanted to be a princess.
    I wouldn't be so sure about old Leo...
    (Not that there's anything wrong with that...)

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 543 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'd like to be a line.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dudes. The OP is young and had an honest question, ease up. And Elwell, you know you have the power to make or break a thread, with great power comes great responsibility... or something.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 543 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I want to be many things, from 6 years old I remember when our teacher asked us what we wanted to be when we grew up, I wanted to be a policeman, later a scientist, after that was an astronaut (haha dream on, besides, space scares the crap out of me now), then an engineer, then a mechanic in the army, an IT/computer monkey, a website designer, at 15 art become a central part of my interests and then I wanted to be an architect, a graphic designer, then a concept artist from 17.

I'm 21 now, and have just started learning animation, 2d and primarily 3d. Since I was first asked that question, I still don't know exactly where I'll end up, since predicting the future is a little hard, but I love working in lots of forms and 3d right now is where its at for me as its opening up all sorts of possibilities, including compositing, visual effects and various fields within that like VFX Technical Director, lighting, color, animation TD, set designer, modeller, render monkey, rotoscoper (just kidding, id sooner spork out my eyes rather than rotoscope).

Even then, while a lot of teachers in the training industry will tell you to specialize in your interests so you're able to work at a particular position (like a concept artist) exceptionally, it is important NOT to disregard other fields entirely, remember how maths in high school can get incredibly boring? or copying notes off the board every day in science and go home feeling like you learned nothing? well, there is science and math in what you do, every day, the only trouble is most of today's teachers don't even bother to teach you how its applied today in the workforce let alone its advantages, and how it all interconnects with so much of what you do and see.

Speaking of seeing, as an example; learning about how the human eye works can help you understand how certain perspectives and certain lighting conditions work on a flat plane you're trying to draw on and give the illusion or the feeling of 'reaching in' the picture when its drawn on a flat piece of paper, or in a fabricated 3d virtual space to truly give it depth.

You'll notice some of today's top professionals are also quite adept at other areas other than just modelling a scene, or designing a concept, some compositors out there are just as easily freaken genius's in mathematics and physics because they understand how everything works together in the background of what they'er doing in after effects/nuke/shake/fusion/houdini etc, and are even able to CODE their own plugins to customize the programs they work with for their own use. I might also add, those kinds of people, besides being awesome freaks of nature, rake in a wealthy salary from their work.

All in all, I think I can safely say that whatever you do with art, it will take you through unexpected twists and turns in where your interests lie when it comes to a career and even as personal well-being, just make sure what you are working in is something you feel passionate about and that you enjoy doing it, as doing it for the salary will more than likely lead to dissatisfaction, but doing it for you're enjoyment will reap far greater dividends than just money.

Last edited by worxe; July 7th, 2008 at 11:14 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    u dont know what u want to be so u ask to other people what they want? so what ? u can say "oh i want do that...after all/also", think about what u like to do, and if u like it enough to do it professionally, there will be your answer. we cant answer for u.

btw i think at least 99% of ca.org users want to become ...concept artist/illustrators/fine artist/3d artist... or else they wouldn't be here

Grab your pencil, grab your dream!
    My Sketchbook - Blog - Fineart Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi
    thanks for all of your comment
    you have given me some ideas now
    thanks

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.