and have more time for the pose...

so you going to a new school? 0o
    wich direction did you do by the way?
    autonoom of illustratie?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You just nailed these faces! They are so volumetric! The pencils are your strong side, develop it and you will be on the top. Get your attention on a certain thing, do not mess the things! Keep it up I am WATCHING! - George

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You got some great stuff here and it's good to see that you are working a lot traditionally, with paint etc. I'd love to work with charcoal, that medium really loosens me up once in a while. The only thing I would to see more are drawings from the imagination, next to studies. It's always the ultimate test! Next to that, keep showing me ze pictures

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    `ej: I've decided not to go to another school, because all the Open Dagen are already done yet, and I didn't go to any of them... I don't want to make decisions that aren't really thought through and choose a school, just to start another one in the next year.
    I think autonoom is something i'm looking for, because I would love to focus on drawing or painting. But then again; minerva is the only one in the netherlands that respects traditional work... so that sucks, haha

I think it's better to take a break this year and draw/paint/create a lot, and work a little to earn some money.

clanlord: aah thanks so much! Although I think I messed up this time, haha.

Tom van der Linden: Tnx for watching man

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I went to NoŽ this time for a few drawing days (you should check her SB too!). Unfortunately, it's on the other side of the country (lucky for me, Holland is only 400 km from top to bottom border) and I should do the travelling on a normal day in 2 hours... but it turned out in 5 hours (stupid trains).
    So we hadn't much time to draw anymore....

NoŽ modelled for me, 3 min. poses, and I did the same thing for her.
    And I did some other studies from pictures she had collected.

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 1368
Size:  60.2 KB
    Name:  8.jpg
Views: 1368
Size:  72.7 KB
    Name:  9.jpg
Views: 1341
Size:  49.7 KB
    Name:  10.jpg
Views: 1342
Size:  74.4 KB
    Name:  11.jpg
Views: 1339
Size:  66.0 KB
    Name:  12.jpg
Views: 1310
Size:  73.9 KB
    Name:  13.jpg
Views: 1285
Size:  63.5 KB

Name:  boom.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  130.1 KB
    Name:  try.jpg
Views: 1237
Size:  45.2 KB
    Name:  purplehead.jpg
Views: 1254
Size:  111.7 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 918 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Whats up Marlisa
    Great sketchbook you have here
    Your improving with every post
    Your lines are becoming more confident aswell
    Keep having fun drawing/painting -Omerta

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Marlisa, fun SB! I like your dedication to all traditional, your work has such great character.

I really like your use of rather intense colours! And how you do some general studies and life drawings in colour and markers (isn't it?). Well, keep on this path, you've come a long way already--just checked your first pages.

The proportions on that last purple face are a bit skewed, but I actually really enjoyed that piece because of that slight distortion and funky colours In any case, keep on sharing!

sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by! You have a nice sketchbook I can easily see the progress
    For your rendering you should make your lines follow the form. Keep it up I'm looking forward to more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OmertA: thanks I think so too.

AsaB: hey, thanks for visiting ! I don't really understand why everyone loves digital so much actually... that's one reason why I never want to do digital . The colourmarkers help me to pay more attention to the shapes and lines, before I draw one. I think pencils are way to easy, you can erase them etc. I found that there was no progress when I did that.
    And the last face was really hard to draw, I don't no why . But it was fun too! I'm glad you like it !

jackpot_anjr90: thanks for the tip, I should do that I guess .

I did't feel like drawing last weeks. I don't now why, I always love to draw every day. Maybe it's because I quit school or something..
    Yesterday I was looking through some J.W. Waterhouse art, and I found the women in his paintings very inspirational. So I decided to study the body's, the poses, the drapery, etc.

I don't like drapery, because I don't have the patience to copy every fold and shade in them.

Name:  DSC_1446.jpg
Views: 1331
Size:  83.6 KB
    And the proportions of the last one are a bit off... but thats because her leg is in the grass.
    Name:  DSC_1444.jpg
Views: 1157
Size:  105.5 KB

I rushed them a bit, because I feel a bit ill today (lovesick I guess).

Last edited by Marlisa; July 6th, 2009 at 01:45 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Made some photo's with my best buddy Nienke yesterday. I started drawing spontaniously one of her pictures (and it has no drapery, yay ) .

Name:  DSC_1560.jpg
Views: 1182
Size:  398.2 KB

It's not finished yet, but I'm afraid I'll ruin it if I continue drawing... I think it really looks like her. And she is my best friend, I know her face as good as my own, so that makes it harder to be satisfied with it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice portraits mood, good work

"I don't like drapery, because I don't have the patience to copy every fold and shade in them. "

i don't wanna be like moralizing or imposing ideas but i'm give you a tip i always hear : 'don't draw the things you're comfortable with but stress on the things you are umconfortable with'
    really, portrait is the most difficult task so you can draw anything, (and must be able)

cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hahaha, thank you!
    You are right I should do drapery because I hate it...

Ok, I finished the portrait today. It's a bit larger than my scanner, so the scan result sucks. Maybe I can take a picture of it but it's dark outside right now, so that must wait till tomorrow.

Name:  nienke portret.jpg
Views: 1161
Size:  108.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there, I'm here to keep this sketchbook up. C'mon Marlisa, show something of your recent work :-). It was interesting lurking and watching your progress. Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, tnx for the wakeup call ^^

I've been very busy with celebrating the summer and stuff. First I went to Paris with my uncle (14th july), brother and cousin... then I had 1 day rest and went on vacation to Ireland. I came home last thursday night and had a festival friday, saturday and sunday.
    I didn't had the time for drawing/painting/being creative...shame on me

The places were very inspirational, especially Ireland .
    Castlefest (the festival) was inspirational too, but on another level.

So, because there is nothing new to post, here are some photo's;

Ireland, Connemara
    Name:  Ierland1.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  368.7 KB

Ireland, Killarney
    Name:  Ierland2.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  444.9 KB
    Name:  Ierland3.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  327.7 KB

Me at Castlefest (celebration of the summer)
    Name:  marlisa mede.jpg
Views: 1146
Size:  536.5 KB
    Name:  Castlefest1.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  270.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gee, girl, you rock! :-). That is very good for your spirit. Hope to see more art by fresh Marlisa. Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, thanks!

So what was I doing last week?
    Well, after an amazing festivalweekend, I had one of my last driving lessons.
    I don't exactly know how it works in the US or other countries (except from the movies haha) but in the Netherlands it is really difficult to pass your exam.
    When you're 18, you can have your first drivinglesson from an official school. If you are cought in a car, while having drivinglessons, the day before you turn 18... well that sucks. You cannot have lessons from family, friends or other people who have their license already.
    Then, when you have lessons from a school, you can NEVER drive in a car without a instructor. Not even on a quiet road with no cars, until the day you hold your driving license. . So, that's why I've had lessons for over more than a year now. Besides, what really sucks the most, is how expensive it is to have lessons. One lesson of 2 hours is 60 euro's, that's 85 dollar. And you have to have at least one lesson a week (and if you do your math, you can calculate how much 47x60 is... plus the 250 euro's exam costs.... -_-' well actually, you don't have to calculate that because I write it here; it's 3.070 euro's. That's 4,244 dollars...)

Thursday is the day of my first exam, in Amsterdam. So what have I been doing last week? Stressing! Stressing it is...

... and to ignore my stress, I worked on my website. I made a new layout, most of my work is on it now. It's not fully in English, though some pages are.
    It was sooo much work, it took me 3 full days (from 10 AM tot 2 AM) to get everything to work and stuff. But now I'm actually kinda proud of it .

http://www.marlisasimonis.nl/home3.html

And here are two 'old' SP's I haven't posted yet. First one is done with pen, second one with charcoal.

Name:  DSC_2134.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  532.3 KB
    Name:  DSC_2135.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  377.2 KB

And now I'm working on a large painting, 115x75 cm.
    It's a landscape from Ireland (Killarney) with a rainbow and mountains and cows

Last edited by Marlisa; August 11th, 2009 at 06:35 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I worked 2 hours on the sky, and had a beautiful rainbow... but then I screwed it up, and didn't got it back in original state. That's not something that happens to me often, so I take a break now. Wait for the paint to dry and then paint some clouds over it, and try to make a new one.
    Or maybe I should get further with the mountains and stuff... yes I think I do that. Because if I stop now, I don't get in the mood again today (yes, it's a crappy photo).

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! havent been here for a while.
    Wow, massive improvement! id say your developing a new technique. I think youll do good in contemporary Art.
    Keep up the experiments

"EVERY GOOD PAINTER PAINTS WHAT HE IS" Jackson Pollock

"I am obsessed with the process of creation" Zdzislaw Beksinski

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    l0stinth0ughts: Hihi, thanks so much!

Yesterday evening I experienced my first time pushing myself too far. I worked 7 hours (almost) non stop, standing in front of the easel (is that the right word?), working on my massive painting.
    I wanted to finish it so badly, that I hadn't noticed I was too tired to work further. After I stopped, I could feel all the energy leaving my body to I don't know were. It was kind of creepy, because my legs were shaking and stuff.

Now it's almost finished. I only have to paint the cows behind the hedge.
    If someone has crits for me; please .

Name:  DSC_2146.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  72.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are constructive problems in your portraits. All those popular drawing books are great but for me personally the biggest impact was made by Russian book about Academical drawing. If you're interested, I can send you a PDF. It's all in Russian but drawings make sense. Maybe that would help.

I miss some depth in the landscape painting. Those mountains on the horizon are all about the same value. Don't take me wrong, that's just my opinion and I'm trying to help :-).

That's a crazy situation with driving license you have there. I'm almost 21 but not even planning to have driving license even if it's much cheaper in Lithuania. But what's that license for in such a marvelous place as Amsterdam? Relax, good luck in exams!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

awesome!

hey meli..... u r so awesome ,u kno tat?..... ur work s really really good i appreciate tat.. m new to concept art.. jus started some sketchng.. if u cn help me out ill love tat.. wanna do work lik urs someday.. its inspiring me.. thnks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    diva_angel: it took me a while to decrypt your post but thanks
    tokszmogus: Hey, tell me more about those constructive problems, because I don't see them . Can you give an example of something?
    I would love to see that Russian academic book! Please send it to me!

About the painting; yeah I see that too. I hoped that the trees would help, but it is done from a reference photo I made in Ireland myself.
    I still want to paint some cows in the front.. maybe that will help.

But now I'm doing a portrait of my cousin Tanguy (he's 12) from a photo I took in May. After several days of painting, I wanted to grab my pencil now and do some studies of friends and family .

Name:  Tanguy.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  45.0 KB

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Marlisa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up Thank you for feedback!!

hello there,
    yeah got what you said. ill make sure that everyone understands what i post here. and i am from india. and currently pursuing my architecture.
    and thanks a lot for having a peek at my work.
    and i few a few doubts.. do you think i will ever be able to make it like you someday???
    i know this sounds silly .. and as though i lack confidence in myself.. but its just that i wanna know whats your perspective about it...
    can i ???

JUST CLICK HERE ->> My Sketch Book

Last edited by diva_angel; August 14th, 2009 at 07:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ofcourse you can!
    You just have to work hard, draw everything, try different things, different media's .

I got to this stage last night at 3.30 AM. I think his right eye is a bit off and due to that, his cheek too. I hope I can fix that today.
    I really enjoy drawing this picture btw. I don't know why, I think that's why I chose to draw it in the first place. His expression is the best part, because he is kind of a leader, a charismatic person.. a typical Leo. Most of the time, he has a smile on his face, confident as he is. It was kind of funny when I took this picture, because he finally wasn't paying attention... and then I got this natural face .
    For me it feels like he's a bit arrogant, but when you observate his face better, it almost looks like he is not as confident as he looks. But maybe that only my opinion, because it's my cousin.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay, finally Tanguy is finished!

Name:  Tanguy3.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  135.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did some action pose studies of field hockey players.
    Well... not actually studies, because i couldn't stop myself adding more details...

I've played it for 6 years now, I still miss playing the game. But most people at the club ruin it for me because they are snobs (and i'm a weirdo, so I don't fit in, haha).

Name:  hockey1.jpg
Views: 1291
Size:  81.2 KB

Name:  hockey2.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  118.7 KB
    (the left girl, her arm is too long, I know )

Last edited by Marlisa; August 20th, 2009 at 03:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A crappy sketch of two 'balfolk' dancers

Name:  balfolk1.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  105.5 KB

, and a study (charcoal/conte/pastel stuff) of the painting 'the oracle' from Marta Dahlig, which i'm painting with acrylics right now.

Name:  oracle.jpg
Views: 1292
Size:  162.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did a quick acrylic landscape today, 30x40 cm, to experiment with my new (better) paint.

Name:  DSC_2148.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  348.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi marlisa , great progression from the beginning till now , oh and actually the ireland shots are awesome that makes me jealous, can you take me there too someday haha ;P
    i donīt know what to critic actually , just keep working hard and observate things around you,also try to ask yourself after a finished piece , what is bad?, what can i change?,how can i change?, progession will go fast than .....

best wishes ! Cera

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.