Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Marlisa's SB Traditionals --> April 15 :::

Thanks

wow

i love your portraits so much...please keep it up!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Giow & nOKa: thnx!
    NoŽ: I don't know what kind of tips I can give you about acrylic painting, but I really like the 'marterhaar' brushes. At school we use mostly 'varkenshaar' but that's zo tough... i don't like that (but I use it anyway).
    The paint I use is the cheapest one from the 'Action' so the names of the colours aren't that reliable.
    Apparently i'm good at mixing colours, so it doesn't really matter to me what colours I have (no magenta or lemon yellow or something). One thing I really hate is that most of my classmates have 10 tubes of paint, like three different types of green, two different blues, ofcourse at least one turquoise-ish blue, three types of brown etc.
    I only use primary colours (red, yellow, blue) and white and black.

I try to paint in layers, but I'm not really used to that, so I have to practise that a lot more. Acrylic paint dries very quick (aargh, my english is bad at this hour) so when I start with a black-ish background like in the 'firedancers' painting, I have to paint another layer (dark blue trees in the background for example) really quick if I want them to blend into the background.
    Then I wait until that layer is almost dry, and then do another layer.

How thick I paint something depends on what texture I want to get. I thought it would be better to use a lot of paint for the fire, like van Gogh did in his paintings, to get a more real effect.

About drawing from ref.: you are absolutely right. A lot of the CA's over here do so much anatomy studies, that I feel forced to do a lot of nudes too. Ofcourse, I don't have models to practise on, so I have to do nudes from ref.
    I don't think my anatomy skills are good enough to practise on people in my environment... First reason is because I never have the time to sketch them, second reason is because no one wants me to do that.
    It's hard to explain it in english, especially now I'm really tired.

About the ink drawings: actually I did use acrylic paper, but maybe it was cheapass acrylic paper

Merlin: Ah nice, you are dutch too . It's really tempting to write this in english, but I don't let myself..
    You are right about the quick sketching, figures etc. I don't do that a lot... but it's not really true that I'm very slow with the more developed drawings/paintings. Well, not compared to a year ago.
    I think I improved that, especially in paintings.

At school the teachers learn us to 'paint large surfaces with a small brush and small surfaces with a large brush'. It that like you mean?
    I really appreciate your tips though .

Thanks
    I'm sorry I didn't mean to say that you are very slow, I just had to give it a name . No, I mean painting on a big surface with a big brush, to paint less precise, try putting confident brush strokes on the canvas. Just to experiment. It helped me a lot. But better not listen to me if it goes agains what your teachers teach you .

Thanks
    Marlisa, I really love your work. You have a mountain of talent. I'd reinforce crits here, but it's been said and you've rresponded. Thanks for making my day a little better.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Hay Marlisa, some nice improvment lately.

The acrylics have come along way, But I can see a big difference between the one's with reference and with out, so try to find reff even if it's just for a light source.

pencils are looking really good to, nice values and linework, but just watch those edges

And lovin the self portraits too, you seem to have very beautiful eye's

Keep up the good work
    cheers,
    matt.
    Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JailHouseRock2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Merlin: it's ok. What do you mean with confident brushstrokes?

kinjura: aah that's so sweet!

JailHouseRock2: Tnx for the tip . I almost always use some ref for light or anatomy ore something. This time I intended to shoot some photo's myself instead of searching for ref. that comes close to it.
    But nobody wanted to help me with it, so thats why I did the 'firedancers' painting from mind.
    I see what you mean with "I can see a big difference between the one's with reference and with out, so try to find reff even if it's just for a light source".

I'm at school right now and I think I'm going to do some sketches of people in my environment.

Thanks
    Ooh! Next time with ref pictures I'll help!
    We'll make a reference picture day out of it ^^ always fun hihi.. It's the absolute excuse to play dress up

Thanks for your painting info, it gives me much insight in your way of painting ^^

Love
    Marleen.

Thanks
    Ahh that sounds like fun! we should do that.
    Now I'm curious in your way of painting
    Last edited by Marlisa; February 28th, 2009 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks
    New update:

-The first abstract thing is a component of more abstract paintings, for the 'music' assignment ('choose a song what produces strong emotions').
    My song is (again) this one: http://www.worldofomnia.com/mp3/A!_witchesbrew.mp3

- The 'double double trouble' thing is the second component in the making. I think I'm going to paint three faces (with light from a fire on their faces) transparent over the words... It's not finished yet, that's for sure

- Photo of the classroom

- Process of still life painting in 2D-class (which must be in some way kind of abstract).

- Photo's from 2D-class

- The only two sketches I could find the time for last week... -_-'

- crappy light study sketch

- almost finished selfportrait (The left eye, the shadow on the left cheak, and the hair are bothering me. At the picture, my hair cuts some part of my face away, so that's why the left side looks so weird.)

- Homestudy still life with coloured pencils (1 hour)

Pfew, this upload took me 1,5 hours
    Last edited by Marlisa; February 28th, 2009 at 01:18 PM.

Thanks
    especially that last portrait is VERY nice. I like the pictures from the studio, seems very easy going
    Studytime! Crunching down on Loomis and Figure Drawing
    My creative blog
    Figure Studies & Life drawing yay!

Thanks
    Tnx !
    It is very easy going, but also one big chaos .
    We have two classrooms next to eachother (a part of the wall has been demolished so it looks like it's one room) but somehow we always end up with 50% of the students in the small room and the other 50 % in the big room...
    Kinda claustrofobic actually haha.

Thanks
    I tried to sketch some figures, but I should have known that I can't sketch with pencils... I guess they aren't really sketches anymore. When I start drawing something with graphite/pencils, I just can't stop, haha .

Thanks
    Wow, these are gorgeous!!
    I guess they're not really really quick sketches but that isn't a bad thing I think. And I think that 15 and 10 minutes is still quite quick!

If you want to sketch more quickly it might be a good idea to draw just lines of the most important things and the main (darkest) shadow. But don't get discouraged ^^ I completely love these studies.

Just experiment with different ways of sketching and you might find that for you some are more appropriate for longer sketching and some are more appropriate for quick sketches..

Love
    Marleen.

P.S. haha, nice new title for your sketchbook! ^_^
    Last edited by NoŽ; March 1st, 2009 at 04:50 PM.

Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast