Sketchbook: Marlisa's SB Traditionals --> April 15 ::: - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Marlisa's SB Traditionals --> April 15 :::

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, these are gorgeous!!
    I guess they're not really really quick sketches but that isn't a bad thing I think. And I think that 15 and 10 minutes is still quite quick!

If you want to sketch more quickly it might be a good idea to draw just lines of the most important things and the main (darkest) shadow. But don't get discouraged ^^ I completely love these studies.

Just experiment with different ways of sketching and you might find that for you some are more appropriate for longer sketching and some are more appropriate for quick sketches..

Love
    Marleen.

P.S. haha, nice new title for your sketchbook! ^_^

Last edited by NoŽ; March 1st, 2009 at 03:50 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ NoŽ: Tnx When I find the time for more sketches (more line based sketches) I'll use a more permanent medium (like markers, ballpoints?).
    I think that might be helpfull here. (blah english... -_-' ... it's way too early for that)
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Oke, new update .

The first sketch is quite weird. There was nothing to draw in the train, so I tried to visualize myself sitting as I sat there. As if I was someone in front of me, looking at myself (like a mirror that wasn't actually there).
    It was hard, but I like it anyway.

The ballpoint things are classmates (done in 4 min. I guess).

Third one is a photo of the still life composition we had to paint in 2D-class. It has to be in some way abstract, and I don't really like the way they want you to do that at my school.
    4; My interpretation of the still life
    5; The teacher didn't like it so he gave me some paper; 'paste this with your eyes closed somewhere in your work'.
    6; I tried to paint over the paper pieces, but then he decided there wasn't enough paper in it. I had te paste more with my eyes closed...
    7; I painted over the paper, but had to rip (?) it off again (again; the teacher told me that).
    8; The result after 3 hours of trying to safe this crap thing. I hated to work this way. I think the problem was that I tried to make something the teacher would like. Not something I like myself.

9/10/11: process of 'Wytches Brew' song component (from mind).

12; Waterhouse study (tried to sketch in different way that I used to draw/sketch)

13; Waterhouse study, eye from mirror, girl from ref.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Pfew, large update

x Marlisa

Attached Images Attached Images                          

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the last sketches are very nice, especially the sleeping pose (10 mins), captured very beautifully. Did u use white chalk or pastels?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice paintings,
    Like the guitar on Pg 2 very much.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the last two B&W drawings are sweet, but don''t forget to do those anatomy studies. You need to work more on proportions and line quality.

Good luck and keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hamorhage: Tnx I use soft white colourpencil.

Amilian: Tnx

zelda_geek: Tnx . I know I have to do more anatomy studies, but I'm also very busy with school (oke.. the last two things in previous update aren't school things ) right now .
    Btw: I did some sketches at the bottom of 3rd page .

When I browse through other SB's on CA, I see in every thread several anatomy studies. I guess non-nude anatomy studies are oke too?

Well, I did some handstudies this afternoon (real life). And the dance poses are from pictures of me while dancing at Wytches Brew (yes, again another part of the 'Wytches brew' project). I think I'm going to choose one of 25 poses to show the energy of the music.
    If I continue these studies, the drawings are going to be sloppy, so there's only 7 /25 .

Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah zah, really like ur work. keep repping the trad!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spectacular portraits. inspirational stuff. as you say you do very traditional style work!
    keep on those body studies they seem to be your weakest part yet still they look as though they are on their way to getting stonger.
    keep it up!

"Fire walk with me"

Dream Solver: Graphic Novel

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    luvv the dance poses woohoo!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,320 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    last sketches look awesome! and you seem to have a nice touch to traditional medias! I should spend more of my time with oilpainting, but it takes too much time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    chriis.zed, `ej, NoodleDoodle: tnx!
    The Ham: thank you I know the body studies aren't great, but I don't always see what's wrong. For example the ink drawing/painting below. I see that it's not good, but I don't see it in most of the dance poses studies.

----------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't understand how you can insert an attachment file into the post itself, so you can tell something about it next to the image itself.
    Would someone explain it to me ?
    EDIT; thnx for explaining to me how to insert the attachments NoŽ

We went to Artis Zoo in Amsterdam during 2D classes (that's 5 minutes from my school).
    The animal sketches are all done in 15 sec. of 30 sec. Except maybe the lion sketch.
    They are done with blue/pink ink (ecoline), because I left my black ink at home. Drawn with a cotton wool stick (you know, for your ears...).
    It was really hard. I'm not happy with it, but I upload it anyways.

Name:  DSC_0490.JPG
Views: 677
Size:  106.5 KB
    Name:  DSC_0491.JPG
Views: 677
Size:  85.9 KB
    Name:  DSC_0492.JPG
Views: 683
Size:  87.7 KB
    Name:  DSC_0493.JPG
Views: 668
Size:  86.3 KB
    Name:  DSC_0494.JPG
Views: 660
Size:  75.1 KB
    Name:  DSC_0495.JPG
Views: 653
Size:  84.3 KB
    Name:  DSC_0496.JPG
Views: 662
Size:  83.7 KB
    Name:  DSC_0497.JPG
Views: 636
Size:  85.4 KB
    Name:  DSC_0498.JPG
Views: 645
Size:  88.8 KB

The dance poses again, picture taken in better light.

Name:  dance poses.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  421.0 KB

These are 100x70 cm.

First one done with acrylics (face isn't done yet)

Name:  pose 1.JPG
Views: 628
Size:  484.6 KB

second one made with ink (I see that the anatomy isn't good )

Name:  pose 2.JPG
Views: 623
Size:  106.6 KB

I didn't make a quick sketch before I started painting. That's hard, especially with ink, because you can't make any mistakes. But that makes it kinda fun too

Pfieuw... now I have to go to school again.

Last edited by Marlisa; March 19th, 2009 at 04:35 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really love your work on the gray paper , it's so elegant and soft I need to do some of those studies with drapery too, great work. I love sketching at the zoo. It's really great for learning and fun too ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey marlisa!

It's been a while since I visited here so here comes my little post with ideas and helpfulness (hopefully haha )

How to put your attachments in your posts is a bit hidden indeed after you uploaded your attachments, you have to click on the little paperclip icon above the writing area (it's next to the fonts, sizes and smiley).. Then you get a dropdown menu of all the images you have attached, and when you click one, that puts it in your post. Usually with posts with lots of images it's easier to click "insert all", which inserts every image into your posts immediately. You can still write between the images, and use "preview post" to see if everything looks correct. Also another tip for uploading attachments: to avoid to have to fill in each dropdown menu and the copyright information each time you upload an image: Just fill in the information, upload the first image, then after that is done you hit the backspace, or right click -> back, and you go back to the previous screen with all the filled in information. Then you click browse and pick the next file you want to upload, and it uploads with the already filled in information.. Saves a lot of time!!

You said that you can see that some anatomy isn't correct, but you can't point out what, right? It's best to train this yourself ofcourse because if others tell you, then you still can't find it out for yourself. So here are some tips to find out:
    - Step back from the painting/drawing and compare your drawing to your reference picture without looking at details, just general proportions. Maybe even take a picture and look on the little LCD screen on your camera.
    - Measure, I mean not like with a ruler but with your fingers or pencil. You might for example see that on a reference picture half of the length of the entire body is from the body to the hips, and the other half is from hips to feet, then you might see that you made the legs a little too short on your drawing or something like that. When you think something is wrong with an area of your drawing, just try to measure those parts of the reference and compare a little.
    - Also take angles into account. Sometimes an arm goes down from the shoulder when in your drawing it might go up. This is just a difference of a few degrees in your angle, but the elbow and hand will end up on a completely different place.

I did see a few things on those dancers that could be better, but maybe you want to figure them out for yourself first? Just PM me otherwise and I'll tell you what I found

By the way, I love the dancers, really like the drawings and the paintings as well And the lions are so nice!! Can't believe you did that with a bit of cotton stick thing haha that must have been hard!

Well, I'll have to go now, going to go to my parents for a night and a day to use their sewing machine to make a huge character (Letter) for Typography.. Hope it'll work..
    Keep up the good work! I really like how you're improving with the bodies and paintings

Love!
    Marleen.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to NoŽ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @NoŽ! tnx so much!

Right now I haven't much time to study anatomy, because I'm behind with schoolstuff too. There are some assignments that I don't like at all.. but I have to do them ofcourse so that's my problem right now.
    Unfortunately I'm very ehm.. stubborn (I hope that's the right word for it), I love to draw or paint every day! Yes, even if i also have to draw all day at school.

So I do the anatomy studies anyways... even now I don't have the time for it

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Small update:

I made this one thursday at school. I think three poses are enough.

Name:  DSC_0508.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  161.3 KB

I thought it might be cool to do all three in B&W, with different mediums.
    But it goes together with the very bright coloured abstract thing, and maybe that doesn't work together . I don't know.

Name:  wytches brew dancers.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  421.7 KB
    Name:  DSC_0466.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  97.8 KB

---------------------------------------------------------

*Going back to anatomy studies*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think they go together really well.. Maybe you want to pick the two you think are best and place those on the left and right side of the abstract thing? Or put the three dance poses above or below the abstract thing looks good ^^ don't worry..
    I know exactly what you mean with the anatomy studies instead of school work. I do way too much personal stuff compared to school stuff.. I try sometimes to keep a little connection with school stuff though, so that I can maybe show it at evaluations haha

Love
    Marleen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love your art works! We don't get to see much traditional stuff nowadays, so it's really something that you're so passionate about it

hunchback is offline I disagree! PENIS! TACO! CHEWBACCA!
    Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey marlissa,
    you have some great work here. You post pretty frequently and your looking to improve.

You have already received lots of advice, but have you ever tried using a mirror when your drawing from life or ref. compare your drawing an the real thing (or photo) and you might be able to see things that look out of place.

keep working yo butt off

19. The Following User Says Thank You to hunchback For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tnx guys!

NoŽ: I try to do the same thing. That's why I put so much effort in this 'wytches brew' song assignment for 'Beeld & Concept'.

hunchback: yeah, I get what you mean. I should do that more often.
    Maybe I should do this week every day one self portrait from mirror?
    Yeah, I'm going to do that. That's good practise

------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe I should wait with uploading stuff until I have more to show...
    But I was so happy with new reactions from people, and I forgot to post this one earlier (it isn't finished yet, but I like it already to be honest )
    It's from Bernini's 'David'.

Name:  DSC_0512.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  207.4 KB

The scanner doesn't work and the battery of my camera is charging, so I can't post the posemaniacs I did today.

Last edited by Marlisa; March 22nd, 2009 at 03:11 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow everythings lookimg great in here Marlisa!

That last one has great energy! love the hand studies as well!

keep at it,
    matt

Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OOOH Love it!
    The technique is wonderful! White pastel or chalk on black paper? Should try that some time ^^

One thing on this one: it looks like you made the face (eyes, nose, mouth) a bit too large for the head size? but comparing it to the pictures of that statue it doesn't look like a lot too big I love the variation of tones that you got, and the contrast with the dark paper! great stuff hihi Will reply to your mail tomorrow haha sleep now ^^

Love
    Marleen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have really good stuff here I especially like the quick ones, 10 mins or so. keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love what you do with color; great work! It's so cool to see the improvement here... stay with it

Look, see! Nifty art! http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99803

Hey! Check out my blog here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very good progress!

Try and use fewer, more complete lines in your sketching. It's a lot easier to think about a line, where it beings and ends, how it connects and disconnects, its weight, the ways it twists and so on, and then draw it once you understand it than it is to draw several lines or lots of little fuzzy dashes. It's always easier to erase and redraw 1 whole line than it is many! This will also push you to think about what you're drawing more, and after a while of practice it will all happen in a second!

Hope that helps some. Good work so far!

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

26. The Following User Says Thank You to IanE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Marlisa! just thought I'd drop by. You really got some nice tones in that last one. I really enjoy thats technique
    Also, those animal studies sure looks neat, I should do some of them too. Heh. Keep it up!

SKETCHBOOK
    BLOGGER - Actually updated once in a while.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice traditional paintings. Love the colours and contrasts! totally respect people who work entirely traditional. No matter how good a digital painting may be, it's always more satisfying finishing the physical painting. *thumbs-up*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay! A lot reactions! You people made my day!

JailHouseRock2: tnx Matt!

NoŽ: Haha tnx! it's done with soft white colour pencil.
    I struggled several hours (with a lot of breaks) with the face, until I didn't care anymore and left it this way.

nakatoni: hehe, the quick ones are really hard for me to do, because I'm a very stubborn perfectionist... but they are a really good practise!

AmontilladoAg: ahw thanks! That made me smile

IanE: That's a good tip (though i've heard it before.. but I don't listen to it I guess)! I'll try to do my best with my selfportrait this evening .

Vloth: Really nice of you to drop by! If you're going to do some real life animal sketches too, I'd recommend drawing with ink or somethin. It's harder I guess, but it worked for me the best

bigus_dickus: Tnx! I don't do any digital art because everyone does it (that doesn't mean that I don't like it though, some people can make really incredible things), and I like the craft work, mixing the colours, the paint on the canvas, the pencil strokes...

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Very, VERY small update. I finished this *cough* sketch tonight...

I saw some Mucha art last week and it inspired me. Thought it would be fun to copy the pose from some piece and translate it to my style.
    I wanted to make it more realistic, and I'm going to do a painting (in blue-tones I think) when my evaluation week at school is over (next weekend ).

I really love to make things with the theme paganism or magic or something like that. I feel attracted to that and I have tons of ideas to work out.

Name:  DSC_0519.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  138.4 KB

Mucha ref.

I made some changes, for example the toes and all the shadows (and the drapery isn't exacly as in mucha's work).
    Don't mind the blurry right corner. I was too lazy to start the computer downstairs, scan the thing etc.

EDIT: the head is waaaaaaaaaaaay to small... I'm not going to change/improve it in this drawing. I guess it's something to work on in the painting.

The selfportraits i've been doing this week will be posted tomorrow, posemaniacs too.

Last edited by Marlisa; March 28th, 2009 at 06:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WHOA!! DAMN, I.. I ... I.. DAMN! youve seriously improved, i think you mightve past me on the ability skill. but damn, you sure know how to control your brush and pencil. id like to know how good you are with applying your own style?

"EVERY GOOD PAINTER PAINTS WHAT HE IS" Jackson Pollock

"I am obsessed with the process of creation" Zdzislaw Beksinski

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oooh *hearts*
    I love it ^^ Didn't even notice the small head until you pointed it out haha.
    I really like how you used the Mucha art as an inspiration but didn't just copy it lovely!
    I'm very interested to see how you paint this

Love
    Marleen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, nice stuff in here. like your studies a lot. those bw hatching sketches are awesome keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aahw tnx l0stinth0ughts, NoŽ & MeTaL-Mike !

I'm really tired so I just say what I have to say.

Tried to scan my daily selfportraits from last week, and posemaniacs, but after one drawing, the scanner flipped and didn't work anymore.
    My brother borrowed my camera, so can't take pictures of them right now.

I don't really want to start with my last selfportrait from this week (drawn today), cause I think it's the best I made.
    Posting the last one first makes the other sketches/drawings even worse than they already are -_-'

But hey... I'm really tired and have to wash my (pierced today) nose piercing before I go to sleep, brush teeth (I'm sooo tired, just want to crash on my bed). So I stop nagging now.

Edit: Oh, I forgot that I already uploaded my Artis Zoo sketches from today, before lenting my camera to my bro (bah, don't have energy to correct my english).

Done with ink, in 10 - 15 min. (except for the alligator, I think that was 20 min) some of them are done in 1 min or 2 min. .

Name:  dromedaris1.JPG
Views: 409
Size:  39.7 KB
    Name:  dromedaris2.JPG
Views: 413
Size:  85.2 KB
    Name:  alligator.JPG
Views: 404
Size:  65.5 KB
    Name:  leeuwen.JPG
Views: 399
Size:  26.4 KB

Made this in 2 hours I guess. DONE FROM MIRROR! Yes, I'm actually kinda proud.
    I noticed I drew my face too long every day, so tried to pay attention to that in this one. My face looks to small, or my eyes too big, but actually that was really what I saw in the mirror.
    It's weird how your face looks different each time in different light!

Name:  zelfportret-marlisa.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  169.2 KB

Last edited by Marlisa; March 30th, 2009 at 05:19 PM.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.