Sketchbook: Marlisa's SB Traditionals --> April 15 ::: - Page 2

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NoŽ: Tnx
    I think I wipe the lines out, because charcoal and 'pittkrijt' is very smudgie, and by 'wiping it out', the paper absorbs it (or something like that ).
    Maybe it's a habit, I'll pay attention to that from now on .
    And you're totally right about the shadows in the face and stuff. I'm still too afraid of ruin the thing .

Working big really helps! I can advice it to everyone.
    If the proportions are good when you're working big, it will always be good on small size. And besides that; it's really cool .

l0stinth0ughts: tnx it's funny that you like the soft shades, as NoŽ doesn't .

New thing I made last night. It's for the assignment "draw things made by humans (head subject is architecture).
    I left my charcoal and pittkrijt at school, so I had to improvise.
    We are nog allowed to use a regular pencil, because most people will draw very precise then.
    So, I've use a permanent marker to do this (YES, even for the lighter parts . Just hold it as horizontal as possible).

It took me 2 hours though...

Again: 100x80 cm.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooh nice!!
    I like the difference in shading technique that you're forced to use when working with such a different material
    Don't get me wrong about the soft shades though ^^ I like the softness in this one, I just think it doesn't work well in this one

On this last one: I really like it, but the lower right corner is too empty for my taste, a few lines of really light shading would be enough to make the emptiness a part of the drawing I think.. But it also has something nice about it, so if this was your intention just leave it ^^

Love
    Marleen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey!

Ik begrijp je niet verkeerd hoor, ik snap wat je bedoelt. Ik moet zeggen dat ik totaal niet wist wat ik moest tekenen toen ik die opdracht kreeg, dus dat ik sommige tekeningen heb 'afgeraffeld' omdat ik er eigenlijk 5 in een uur moest maken en er net aan 3 haalde -_-'

About the stairs: I don't really know what to do with the emptyness.
    Maybe I can use it to make the perspective a bit stronger, to draw lines if it's a wooden floor if you know what i mean. But I think I'll wait till monday.
    I first want to hear what the teacher thinks .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The teacher would give it an '8' (out of 10), so I think I leave the rightcorner empty

Found an old painting thingie today. Made it last year in class 'Image & Concept' (litterally translated from dutch).

Marlisa's SB Traditionals --> April 15 :::

All from mind, 100x50 cm, 'paintingpaper' (that's how we call it at school...)
    Haven't got a nice grade though... 5 out of 10...

Last edited by Marlisa; October 11th, 2008 at 08:53 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My evaluation last week didn't went very well.

This is what it looked like:

(Yeah, that's me... I waited @ school since 8.30, they didn't come earlier to criticize my work then 16.30... -_-')

They started with the 'good news'... My 2D-work (drawings/painting) was very outstanding and they hadn't seen anything that good that day (DUH, what do you expect of someone who repeats the year...).
    But then they said: 'We cannot believe that someone who's that good in 2D, can't come op with something (3D) BETTER than THAT!'

'blabla.. you're too lazy... blabla... it looks like it's made by a 12 year old... enz.'

I tried to explain that my 3D-skills are underdeveloped, that I've never learned to work in 3D with clay, metal, wood enz. But they said that isn't possible.

What about the people who are more 2D-skilled than 3D skilled?
    Someone has talent SO he has to be good in 2D AND 3D?
    Bah.
    They wouldn't even listen to me. They almost made me cry.

And here comes the nasty part:

'If you continue making THIS kind of stuff, you'll be kicked out of school before Februari.'

Great. That's really great. All because of 3D.

I'll stop nagging about it: here are some photos of the things that I've made during the lessons:

Last edited by Marlisa; November 2nd, 2008 at 03:46 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update:

I have model drawing class every mondag (3 hours) the next 2 months. I'll post every week pictures of what I made.
    We started this week so these sketches are my first of this year.

I'm not satisfied with it... the most are done in 2 min. but I had to watch the time (we had 2 models, so the teacher was too busy with walking through the classroom), that's why most sketches miss an arm or somethin..

The only one I like is the third one, the sketch thing in the middle.

All things done at 100x80 cm, that's really big (!) and REALLY hard to do right. Blegh.

Edit: I see what's wrong with them (that's not why I post them, I really hate most of the things), I post them as comparison material to later updates.

Tips for working this large with charcoal are very welcome though !

The painting is something I'm working on in 'freetime' (not that I have any but I got so frustrated after the modeling class monday, that I had to make something I could choose myself and do the way I want to do).

Last edited by Marlisa; November 7th, 2008 at 05:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooooh LOVE the painting! The nose might be a bit too wide, but you're still working on that part anyways.. Wow, really great!
    I think from the figure drawings your first quick females are the best of the bunch.. I have that quite a lot as well: that the first drawings turn out to be the best.. But I really like what you're doing with the figure drawings! Don't feel down about them ^^ Drawing these on really large paper is especially hard, and very different to drawing it on A4.
    I think especially with those males you got stuck and frustrated a bit, right? I'd say that you should try to approach them a bit more like you approach the female drawings, don't be afraid to show some curves, because males do have them a bit I really like how you handled the lower body, legs and feet here by the way
    On your 10 minute drawings, you should try to spend a bit more time on the proportions, do a quick gesture, step back, notice the errors, correct them, and start detailing from there Often a figure drawing looks good because of nice proportions, not because of details

So anyways, I see a huge improvement on the figures from last year definitely! How nice that you have figure drawing each week! I have that too, but it's optional , and in the evening, so I really don't want to go because I'll be home at midnight, and I really need my 9 hrs sleep...

Soo, keep it up, I'll be looking forward to seeing where that painting goes because (I'll say it again I looooove it ^^

Love
    marleen.

EDIT: oh tips for working with charcoal.. Didn't read that at first.. Well I'll try:
    First of all: paper.. Make sure your paper is not too smooth (like that newspaper stuff)..
    Second: make sure you have some nice broad, soft charcoals for shading, you might want to try them out in an art shop or something.
    And third: the actual drawing: here's how I usually work (though I can't say that it's the best way of drawing with charcoal, it works well for me): start with really light lines for the proportions, once you have them down on the paper, you can make some lines on the shadowed areas a bit darker. Then you can take a bigger soft charcoal and use the broad side of it for shading. Start with spotting the darkest areas of shadow in the body, and put those down first, then see the lighter shading, and shade those areas on the paper. On the quick sketches you'll probably only have time for the dark shading, and on the 10 minute ones you might have time to put in some light shading as well, leaving only really light spots of white. Usually you can't smudge charcoal too well on sketchpaper, so it's not advisable. Though it does sometimes work to smudge out the really light shading, and work with a kneaded eraser for smoothness.. I generally don't like to see all the texture shine through on the lighter parts, so there I smudge sometimes (with a nice smooth piece of fabric smudging goes way easier than with fingers or paper )..
    So I hope this helped! But you're doing great anyways

Last edited by NoŽ; November 8th, 2008 at 05:29 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NoŽ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Marlisa (I'm Marisa), really likin your sketchbook so far - some of the portraits (including the last one) are really stunning! Sorry to hear your last crit didn't go so well in school (I know how that goes sometimes... studying architecture myself). What kind of 3D things are you doing? Either way - keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Noe: Hey, thnx for the advise!
    Can't write much right now because my paint is starting to dry up (I worked on the painting untill an hour of 03.00 last night..).. you're right about the male models, I really don't like to draw them. Especially this one, because he was so skinny and unmuscular (how do you call that in english?) blegh.
    Plus the female model chose way better/nicer/prettier poses than the male.
    I mean... the upside down on the chair-thing was the only (funny) interesting pose
    I'll pay attention to it, and work more on the male models.

Oh and about the details in the 10 min. drawings: my teacher thought that we had to do some shades and stuff too, so I couldn't work further on the proportions

Tnx for the advice @ charcoal and paper, I think it could be really helpfull.

@ sinneart: Hey Marisa Tnx very much!
    I haven't posted anything of my 3D things on purpose, because I don't like them myself (especially now after my bad evaluation). Maybe I'll post something next week .

Edit: BWAAAH! I completely forgot to tell that the model drawings from previous post nr. 1, 6, 10, 12 and 14 are done with LEFT! Yes, it's insane but since we have 3 hours drawingclass, the teacher told us to rest our 'good' arm and draw with the 'bad' hand. I don't know why I forgot that, but now I remember it, I don't feel so bad anymore about them
    (and this isn't good english, i know, but i can't find the right words.)

So I worked on my painting last night and I think I screwed it up.
    It's done from ref. (yeah I know, how not creative of me)
    I think it would have been better to do the background differently.

Edit: oh and it's still nog finished. Have to paint the leaves better.

Last edited by Marlisa; November 8th, 2008 at 08:35 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahh, love the las portrait, awesome colours on the face! Only critique is that the blue-ish thing at the top cuts her hair, looks like she's missing the top of her head. The 2-3 min figure drawings could use a more organic and confident lines. They are too scribbly atm, and cleaning them up would really help a lot. Don't be afraid to draw the lines, and be confident You'll improve in no time!

Keep it up.

Last edited by zelda_geek; November 8th, 2008 at 08:53 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya,

I really enjoy your work, traditional products always have a beauty about them that is hard to capture in digital work. Great values and realistic studies. I wouldn't mind seeing some gestural anatomy in some figures, if thats your cup of tea. Keep up the good work!

-Joe

Strive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ zelda_geek: Tnx
    Btw: I just edited my previous post, because I forgot to mention that some of those figure sketches are done with left (my bad arm) .
    I think that's why some of them look a bit cribbly, but I get you mean with confident lines. I'll do that monday

And in the photo that blue thing (which is an old wooden banister) isn't that close to her head. I think that's why it looks so weird yeah. Tnx!

@ Joe: thank you I'm glad that there are people who like the traditional art, because most things I see here on CA is digital -_-' (which is wonderful too, but i don't like it)
    I don't really understand what you mean with 'I wouldn't mind seeing some gestural anatomy in some figures, if thats your cup of tea' (what's gestural?).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Perhaps, when you do those fast studies on newsprint, if you think of the hair as one shape, instead of individual strokes of lines, it might help? In other words, think of the hair as one solid form.

Good stuff, your definitely going in the right direction.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bowlin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah yes, that's a good tip

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've painted the area were her hair should be, black. And the nose is a bit smaller.
    Do you think this is better?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had figure drawing class today, so here's my update.

Nr. 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11 are done with my 'bad' hand (left).
    All done in 2 min., except for the last 3 (15 min., 30 min. & 30 min.).

100x80 newspaper (which I hate but I had no choice).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, you can tell a difference there from one session to the next. It doesn't always go that way, sometimes it seems as if I revert backwards somehow, hehehe.

You do look like your focusing on getting those shapes just right more and more. But why would you practice so much with your bad hand?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, that's not what ---> I <--- wanted!
    That's what the teachter told us to do! Ghehe.

I didn't understand it either, but he said that if you practise sometimes with your bad hand, the shapes won't arise (*struggles with english right now*) as automatically as with your good hand.
    Uhm... it's hard to explain. You're used to draw shapes, lines etc with your good hand, so after a while your good hand will form shapes and lines as it used to do (that's how he explained it to us..). When you draw with your bad hand, you see things a bit differently, because you really have to concentrate even more.

At the start, it's really hard to do, but after a while you see what he (my teacher) means.
    I think that one requirement is to do it large, not on A4-paper or somethin.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I'm totally digging your illustrations here.

You've got realism down really well and it shows.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome stuff. that last painting especially. keep em coming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New update from drawingclass yesterday.

All things done 100x80 newspaper with charcoal and 'pittkrijt'.
    Last two are done with (East-Indian?) ink (that's how you call it in dutch, this is litteraly translated, don't know it in english) and paper dipped into coffee *(brownish background).

* The teacher thought that the last one needed some midtone in it, so he grapped a piece of paper and dipped it in his cup of coffee, then painted with it on my paper.

I had a terrible pain in my shoulder, 3 hours of drawing was a bit too much for me. I'm not very satisfied with the things made yesterday, had a bad day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, this is weird.
    I updated this thread tuesday, but when I posted it, the site gave an error...

But now I wanted to update it again, suddenly my post is there!

Monday I have drawingclass again. We're going to work with Ink again, so no charcoal this time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oke, new update.

I haven't had the chance to take a photo of all the things I've made in drawingclass last week, so I'll just post 2 things from last monday and some new outdoor architectural sketches (homework for drawingclass).

The figuredrawings are done with ink and some highlights with white acrylic paint. First done in 30 min. second done in 20 min.
    100x80 cm newspaper.

The inside/outside drawings are done with charcoal and 'pittkrijt' in 1 hour.
    80x60 cm.

The painting is on hardboard. The assignment is for Image&Concept; make a selfportrait with different techniques on true scale.
    These photo's are taken after 1,5 hours of painting, so I think I've worked really fast

It's not finished ofcourse, the proportions aren't right at all, that's because I drew something from a photo and the head turned out too big. When I painted the head a bit smaller, the neck is waaaay to long -_-'
    It's kind of a sketchie thing, the 'underlayer'.

Last edited by Marlisa; December 5th, 2008 at 07:26 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New update. I was too late for drawingclass so I could only do the two 30 min. poses.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, nice sketchbook you've got here. I love the portraits you've painted, especially this one. Her eyes are really amazing, it feels as if you're getting sucked into the right away.

It's nice to see that you've got the oppurtunity to go to a life drawing class as well. What hours of the days are these, and are them something that anyone can sign up for or only students at your school ? (kind of asking since I'm going to spend next spring in amsterdam)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, tnx!

Unfortunately, life drawing class at my school is only for the students. It's part of my 2D (drawing/painting) lessons.
    We do have an exchangeprogram, so if you are a student of an artschool and want to study for a month or so at our school (which is in the middle of Amsterdam, between al the museums and stuff ), that's possible.

Edit: Maybe I can ask my teacher if you can join us for one lesson (3 hours) in spring. They are pretty cool at my school so I think it's possible .

Last edited by Marlisa; December 11th, 2008 at 05:04 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm very busy with school at the moment, so no new things right now.
    I updated my website yesterday with some old paintings, I thought maybe I could drop some here

This painting (done with acrylic) was made for my cousin, when I was 16.
    50x60 cm.

This one I made @ highschool, also 16, done with acrylic. 80x60 cm.
    I'm pretty proud of this one, it was my first painting with acrylic and first time on canvas.

And this was made for a friend of mine (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=69859473) from the picture on her myspace profile. I struggled with the colours and her face (her nose is too smal etc), so I'm not very pleased with the result. 100x80 cm acrylic on canvas.

Last edited by Marlisa; December 20th, 2008 at 05:39 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last night I made a portrait of my brother for my mum for christmas (which is today ofcourse). I had no time to finish the portrait of me.

It was hard to paint the right colours with yellow light, i had to paint at night so this morning it was kind of a surprise what it would be like by daylight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heyyy!!

You have got to go to the art academie Artez Zwolle if you r not already in one
    its great!! you can always go to some open day

i dont get it why they didnt let you in you paintings are very good!
    maybe they want to see more other things aswell dunno

woops after reading again i see your in one ,, good good!

nice paintings

Last edited by erik-jan v/d schuur; December 25th, 2008 at 07:59 AM.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.